PDA

View Full Version : sprayed bowl tripod

Thomas Bennett
03-11-2008, 5:34 PM
I found myself with a dozen bowls to spray...and no real plan on where to set them to dry. Since I'm spraying poly , I need to let them set for 12-24 hours to properly dry. I wanted to do both sides at once. One of my turning mentors suggested useing 3 nails, stating the "pricks" of the nail points just dissappear. I just couldn't think of scratching the bowl bottoms after sanding to 1500 grt.
I bought a few boxes of pencils (needed in the shop anyway!) , drilled and fit the pencils rubber side up. It worked perectly!

Allen Neighbors
03-11-2008, 9:25 PM
Nice thinking! I use the three sharpened nails trick.
Question: If you're finishing the top and the bottom at the same time, how do you keep the erasers from marring the soft finish?

Don Robert
03-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Is there a turner that doesn't think of a table saw as just a table? Or a stack of expensive looking hardwood as another table? Is that a jointer "table" on the right? I love it!

Dennis Peacock
03-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Is there a turner that doesn't think of a table saw as just a table? Or a stack of expensive looking hardwood as another table? Is that a jointer "table" on the right? I love it!

Don,
When I'm doing a bunch of tunring? Everything in my shop is a "table". My jointer, tablesaw, bandsaw, mitersaw, and anywhere else I can find a spot big enough to hold a bowl or platter. :)

Dennis Peacock
03-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Good idea Thomas.....but don't the erasers leave a mark large enough to require patching?? I use the 3 nails method with very nice success. Never really thought about pencial erasers.

john l graham
03-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Looks like a UFO invasion. I can't wait to have my shop "tables" full of turned bowls, platters and such. Nice looking wood and finish! John

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 7:07 AM
That's a great idea, Thomas.

One suggestion, however...consider spraying something that dries faster if you are going to spray. There are a host of products that will meet that goal as well as provide a nicer finish than anything containing polyurethane. (Which is great for floors) You'll get greater clarity and much better buffing results...and no sticky residue all over your shop.

Thomas Bennett
03-12-2008, 7:10 AM
Yes, There are some little blemishes on the bottom. I will carefully sand and re-finish these areas. It seems to me the finishing process never ends!

Those machines make great work surfaces. I have a Rockwell lathe I used as a coat rack for 15 years!
Thanks for all the comments.

Bill Wyko
03-12-2008, 11:15 AM
:eek:The aliens have landed!! JK:D Great idea. Can we have some close ups of the pieces?

Ben Gastfriend
03-12-2008, 5:52 PM
Rockwell lathe = coatrack????!!!:D

Don Robert
03-12-2008, 6:41 PM
Don,
When I'm doing a bunch of tunring? Everything in my shop is a "table". My jointer, tablesaw, bandsaw, mitersaw, and anywhere else I can find a spot big enough to hold a bowl or platter. :)
Dennis,
I'm the same way. That's why I love it when I see someone else with the same MO. JB's suggestion about the water-based (WB) finishes is a good one. Take a look at targetcoatings.com . I've used their WB lacquer and conversion varnish (now replaced with a hybrivarnish) for some time and am very happy with the results. On that web site is a forum (the Finisher's forum) for users which is very helpful. (I have no affiliation with the company - only a satisfied customer.) They even have WB shellacs.