PDA

View Full Version : To DeWalt Or Not To DeWalt?

Tom Kelley
03-11-2008, 4:24 PM
Just assembled and tested my new Grizzly jointer. It went together easier than I thought. Does a great job. It was a good choice. Now I need a planer. (Just doing my share of stimulating the economy) I am leaning toward the DeWalt DW735. It was the top pick of Wood magazine's review of benchtop planers. Before I pull (I mean squeeze) the trigger has anyone had any bad experience with the 735? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon9.gif
Thanks,
Tom

jason lambert
03-11-2008, 5:29 PM
I have only herd good things about it I am about to get one it should be in this week. The only bad thing is it does go through blades, some have good luck some have bad. But for the price and size and since I am a hobbiest it is perfect for me if I was a full time shop I might consider something bigger 3X the cost.

Mac Cambra
03-11-2008, 5:43 PM
I recently upgraded to a 20" floor model (Shop Fox/Grizzly) from a 735. I used the 735 for nearly 3 years and it was an excellent machine. I can't complain about the blade life I got either, and the cut quality was excellent as well. The only complaint I had was that is one loud son of a gun, it really screams and you have to wear hearing protection for it even to be bearable.

I am pretty sure the decibel level of this tool is common to all of the portable planers.

If you can afford a floor model I would recommend going that route, but if the DW735 is pushing the financial limit you won't be disappointed if your experience is anything like mine was.

Steve Kolbe
03-11-2008, 6:14 PM
I use the Ridgid R4330. It works great and I've never had an issue with the noise. Both mine and the older Ridgid model, the TP1300, were WAY quieter than I thought they would be. The finish is just as smooth as can be!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Russ Sears
03-11-2008, 6:19 PM
Tom, I just picked one up at Lowe's and was able to use the one-time 10% Moving coupon. That made my final price just over $400. I've only used it a couple of times but I'm amazed at the finish it puts on a piece of wood.
I'm in the process of making a rolling cart with infeed/outfeed tables; then it's on to some real work with it.

Yes, it's loud but they all are. I'm trying to be a little more careful with hearing protection anyway so putting the earmuffs on to plane doesn't bother me.

I don't have a dust collection system so I've been hooking my Shop Vac hose to it and running it outside under the garage door. That puts a nice load of free mulch into our flower bed. That thing reeeeaaaalllly blows out the shavings!

Shawn Honeychurch
03-11-2008, 6:23 PM
Hey Steve;

I have been considering getting this planer, but I have read on a few sites that people are having trouble getting replacement blades as only Rigid makes them and they are usually not available. Have you had any issue with this?

Shawn

Steve Kolbe
03-11-2008, 6:44 PM
I have not worried about it - I tend to order stuff before it becomes an issue. I was planning on ordering a couple of extra sets directly from Ridgid in the next week or so.

So far, I've run a couple hundred boards through it (not hardwood though)
without the blade showing any noticeable wear yet...

I have heard the concerns as well (I also frequent the Ridgid forums for information), but the Home Depot near me does carry the blades currently.

Shawn Honeychurch
03-11-2008, 6:55 PM
Thanks Steve;

I think this will be the one to get, now if only Rigid still sold that little 6" jointer that was so popular. :(

Bill Wyko
03-11-2008, 7:28 PM
I'm curious, how is it for snipe? Some will snipe 4 to 6 inches from the end. i have a small one but may upgrade in the future.

Don Bullock
03-11-2008, 7:32 PM
Tom, I'm certainly no expert on tools. I stimulated the economy last year buying a Grizzly G 0490 jointer and then a DW 735 planer. For me both were good choices. My planer is working fine. No, I haven't run massive numbers of board feet through it, but I've done quite a bit of planing. While some claim that a two speed planer isn't necessary, I've found the slow speed to be very beneficial when plaining certain woods that are "prone" to tear our. As was mentioned there were some reports of premature wearing of some blades. Some who had the problem brought it to DeWalt's attention ant they received new blades. There also have been some reported problems with the chain mechanism that raises and lowers the cutting head. You might want to do a search here and on any other wwing forums you frequent just to be sure that the DW 735 is the best planer for you. I'm very happy with mine, but my needs may be different than yours.

Jules Dominguez
03-11-2008, 9:36 PM
I bought the 735 a year or so ago, with infeed and outfeed tables and the garbage can dust collector bag, and built a rolling table for it. I haven't experienced any problems with it, blade wear or otherwise. I run mostly rough white oak and rough cherry through it, but I definitely don't overwork it, as my production rate is light. I'm happy with it and think it's a good choice for a hobbyist, provided you can contain the noise enough to avoid irritating the wife or the neighbors. It is VERY loud, maybe louder than most lunchbox planers. I use it in my basement, and I make sure the doors to the outside are closed when I run it.

matt dumney
03-11-2008, 9:38 PM
Thanks Steve;

I think this will be the one to get, now if only Rigid still sold that little 6" jointer that was so popular. :(

They quit making their jointer? When did this happen?:eek:

John Clapp
03-12-2008, 7:30 AM
I've had the 735 approx a year now... I've run a lot of hard maple, cherry and some mahogany thru it with no problems whatsoever. Still on the first set of blades, too. They are double-sided, so that helps out. It is quite loud so like someone else said, I keep all doors closed when running it. I've been very happy with the finished quality of the wood and the only time I get snipe is when I run something long thru without adequate support.

Tom Kelley
03-12-2008, 8:58 AM
Thanks everybody for your input. Looks like I'll go for the DeWalt. Oh, as for the noise. I have a Delta contractor style table saw with a universal motor. You should hear that when I fire it up!!:eek:

Russ Sears
03-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Tom, I had a Craftsman saw with a universal motor and it really screamed. I would say the planer is louder but it's not quite as piercing. Both require hearing protection and both will disturb the neighbors at 9PM.

Jerome Hanby
03-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I've also got the Ridgid TP1300, it's worked great for me!

I use the Ridgid R4330. It works great and I've never had an issue with the noise. Both mine and the older Ridgid model, the TP1300, were WAY quieter than I thought they would be. The finish is just as smooth as can be!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Shawn Honeychurch
03-12-2008, 12:03 PM
They quit making their jointer? When did this happen?:eek:

Hey Matt;

Not sure when they stopped but I went into HD about a month ago to buy one and they told me they could not get them into stock, not even as a special order.

So I emailed rigid and the response was as follows.

"The JP0610 Jointer/Planer is no longer being produced, and there are no known plans for a new model, at this time."

Bummer. From everything I heard that was a great little unit.

Shawn

Wayne Cannon
03-12-2008, 3:26 PM
I've been very happy with mine.

Chip collection is far better than that on my fixed 15" Jet planer, which used to occasionally compress a chip into the surface of a board.

Snipe is almost non-existent. I only notice it on long boards that I fail to support properly, and on very short boards (e.g., 8" long). Even then, it is so little that a couple of passes with a scraper is enough to remove it.

I did have a height-adjustment chain sprocket self-destruct, but it was inexpensive and easy to replace. You can do just about any work on the planer with only the hex wrench stored in the top. Waiting for the part was the only real negative.

matt dumney
03-12-2008, 6:00 PM
What's the difference between the dewalt and say a delta or ridig brand. The shape of the dewalt is just so different. Is something else going on inside the dewalt housing compared to the other brands.

Wayne Cannon
03-13-2008, 3:58 PM
Chip collection comments are with an external 3 HP cyclone. I've read that the DeWalt's built-in chip extraction does a pretty good job of clearing chips from the work surface, though.

Steve Kolbe
03-17-2008, 2:20 PM
What's the difference between the dewalt and say a delta or ridig brand. The shape of the dewalt is just so different. Is something else going on inside the dewalt housing compared to the other brands.

To specifically answer your question, I don't really know. I do like the way the DeWalt looks - it is heavier looking, for sure. But as far as cut difference? I really couldn't say - mechanically or otherwise!

Peter Quinn
03-17-2008, 5:23 PM
Yes, there is something else going on. It has a blower that blows the chips out of the machine, very effective, adds a bit of noise. It also has a three knife cutterhead like the big boys (more cuts per inch than a 2 knife head at the same speed), and the head assembly moves on a four post jack screw chain raising/lowering mechanism (like most floor models) which automatically locks the head when a board enters the machine as opposed to the manual head locks which I find very annoying.

It is portable relative to floor models but if your going to be 'stowing' it somewhere due to space limitations I recomend you begin lifting weights and/or develope a lift mechanism as it is fairly akward to move regularly given its size and weight.

Matt Woessner
03-17-2008, 5:26 PM
I just recently got my 735 in Jan, and have used it several times. I cannot complain about its performance it works really well. I would defiantly recommend.