PDA

View Full Version : Whitewashing??

Ed Breen
03-11-2008, 2:04 PM
I am just finishing a large coirner cabinet in ambrosia maple which SWMBO wants to use for quilt display. When I mentioned stain she would like a whitewash stain since the cabinet is going into a guest room. I'm at a loss, how to show the ambrosia lines etc. but still have the white(ish) finish.
What can I do to achieve this?:confused::confused::confused:

Jim Becker
03-11-2008, 3:07 PM
Milk paint might be a worthy option...

Steve Schoene
03-11-2008, 3:12 PM
There are stains such as pickling white (Old Master) or limed oak (Cabot's Wood Stain) and undobutedly other brands. You will have to do a lot of experimenting I think, thinning the stain to various degrees, and sanding with finer or coarser grits. All the hassle is a lot cheaper than the alimony to trade in your wife for someone who apprieciates the beauty of ambrosia maple. I'd think you'd want the nicest look for the guest room, but what do I know.....

Steve Schoene
03-11-2008, 3:13 PM
Remember you can thin milk paint to be little more than a wash coat.

Ed Breen
03-24-2008, 6:02 PM
Thaks all.
I think I'll go with the milk paint since I already have a supply, and as my first house in N.Y. in 1955 was over 100 years old I still find it to be an attractive finish.
Ed

Rick Thom
03-24-2008, 6:19 PM
Ed, I recommend the milk paint but with a varnish over top which gives it a very nice smooth clean finish. I have used and like these products http://www.homesteadhousepaint.com/. As you see, the traditional varnish shown is in fact oil-based urethane.