PDA

View Full Version : Pergola question

Kyle Kraft
03-11-2008, 1:58 PM
When constructing a pergola over a patio or deck, which way do you run the slats to maximize the amount of filtered shade?? My mind says East-West. What do you all think?

Mike Henderson
03-11-2008, 2:24 PM
My experience is that you need to layout the slats to suit the design rather than the sun. If you decide to layout for the sun, you might consider puttiing the slats on edge so that they provide maximum shade (except when the sun is directly overhead).

But running the slats at an odd angle to the design will probalby not make a nice looking pergola.

Mike

Kyle Kraft
03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
My house sits square with the world or at least with the current magnetic north orientation and the pergola would be on the back side of my house which faces to the east. I plan on putting the slats on edge, for example 2 x 10's on the 2 edge running E-W. With this layout the slats would run perpendicular to the wall.

Must not be a big deal based on the overwhelming response.

Greg Cole
03-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Kyle,
I'll agree with Mike. I think having the boards overhead at an odd angle would be a little well.... odd.
If you need more shade or less, use 2 x 2's for less, 2 x 4's for more etc along with the spacing to create more shade or less.
Make a frame running one direction and then use 2 x 2's going perpendicular.... or an interlocking grid going both ways n-s & e-w.

Greg

Ralph Barhorst
03-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Here is a picture of my pergola. I get a lot of shade since I used 1X6 boards angled at 45*.

It is on the south side of the house and the patio was hardly ever used before I built the patio. Now it is used whenever the temperature is high enough.

The pergola was made from pressure treated lumber and I painted it with a solid stain.

Joe Chritz
03-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I like that 45 degree idea.

Just out of curiosity how are they attached. Did you rip treated material and fasten to the 45 degree face?

Something like that may be in the future for me. I was going to cover it outright but I like the looks of those.

Joe

Ralph Barhorst
03-12-2008, 2:03 PM
Joe,

I used a saw to cut slots (many slots) in each of the supports and screws to hold the 1x6 boards to the supports.

Some people might think that the angled boards look weird, but they sure do supply a lot more shade than the normal pergola.

mark page
03-12-2008, 3:05 PM
I like it Ralph,

My deck is too on the sunny side of the house. I may have to incorporate something like this also.

thanks,
Mark

Bill McDermott
03-12-2008, 3:41 PM
I'm still in the doodling stages of my own pergola project, but can't keep from overcomplicating things.

The rear of our house faces due west, the opposite of yours, so this may not be as applicable. The afternoon sun just beats and beats on the deck and back of our house. In the summer, I'd love to make it a big shadow. But in tht winter, the sun is great.

Recognizing that the sun travels in different places in different seasons, I hope to determine how to orient and angle the boards so as to allow sun in the winter and to create shade in the summer.

Here in Chicago, the noon sun seems to peak about 20* over the horizon in Winter and about 60* in the Summer. in a few days, the Spring Equinox (3/20) is going to split the difference.

Unfortunately, this idea is further complicated by time of day concerns.

Anyway, we can point the boards at a "time of day" target, and tilt them at an "elevation of the Sun" target. I don't know the answer to the riddle I have posed. Perhaps one of the creekers can tell us. You know, that person who can cut accurate compound miters with a backsaw and no marks....

Hope this does not drive you to distraction.

PS - I want to mark a calendar/sundial on the deck when done.