PDA

View Full Version : Granberg G555B Mini Mill

Keith Starosta
03-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Does anybody have any experience using this small chainsaw mill? I've started giving some serious thought to picking up a light-duty, hobbiest-type chainsaw mill to start using at my in-laws place in the Pocono Mountains. I know that there are size limitations with this type of mill, but I'm not too worried about that for right now. The reviews I've read seem to indicate that this is a decent little piece of equipment, but I'm looking for more feedback. Also, any thoughts on like-type equipment would be appreciated!

- Keith

Raymond Overman
03-11-2008, 1:03 PM
My opinion is to pay a nickel more and go with the small log mill. I have one and it's a cool way to process lumber. I would also say if you don't have at least a 55-60 cc chainsaw, don't buy either of these mills. I have a husky 355 and I wish I had more power for the mill.

It's time consuming, hard on the chainsaw, and hard on your back to run one of these things for any length of time. If you're able to get the log off the ground and stable, you'll be able to manage better. Also remember you'll lose a lot more in the kerf of your chainsaw than a bandsaw mill.

Keith Starosta
03-11-2008, 1:12 PM
Thanks, Raymond.

I don't currently own a chainsaw, so if I do pull the trigger on something like this, I will get a saw that fits...or over-fits the mill. The specs for the Small Log Mill say it is for a saw with a 20" bar. Good to know...

- Keith