PDA

View Full Version : how to mount it question

curtis rosche
03-11-2008, 12:00 PM
like i said before i have apple burls question is hot to mount them? i think that if i tried a face plate it would just tear off or bby the time i got it to hlod it would be full of holes...... and on a chuck it might just spin because its so wet and glue doesnt stick to 40% wet wood

Paul Engle
03-11-2008, 2:58 PM
Why ..... on my lathe of course...;):rolleyes:. options are :1) between centers and turn a tennon on the base side ( best option IMO) ,2) use a screw chuck thru the face and turn tennon on the oppisite side,I've used the screw chuck on wet birch ,just dont drill the hole too big or it will not hold ( 7/16" dry wood , 1/4" wet wood for Nova screw chuck ) , 3)CA glue to a waste plate, screwed to a face plate then turn tennon. It is what you feel comfortable with, and remember easy does it till you get the tennon turned, rough shape to with in 10% of finish size, stuff in bag with the wood chips and weigh it once a week untill it stops loosing weight or soak in DNA 24 hrs and bag to dry weight , .... wait a nother week to insure is done and return to finish size and finish. You will need the tennon/recess to rechuck so the abv 3 ways give you an option and your comfort in the process is important as it is harder to turn if you are anxious about what you are doing.And do not forget the pics when ur done !!!:D Check out Keiths HF on the post below or abv , great pic on using the centers to turn to rough shape and doing the tennon

curtis rosche
03-11-2008, 3:12 PM
ok i guess ill try it that way what happens if it is finished to final thickness then soaked in dna for more than 24 hours?

just had a thought anyone ever tried using an anchor (the little things u put in holes , hit with a tool, the bottom expands to hold it, used sometimes to mount lathes to the floor)?

Scott Donley
03-11-2008, 3:25 PM
Between centers and a copy of a DVD by anyone on turning.

Paul Engle
03-11-2008, 4:16 PM
If you go the DNA route, bag it or wrap in paper bag ,date it , use the bag to track the weighing, leaving small opening to let out the moisture/DNA and let dry , weighing it often and track the weights as it looses weight when done loosing weight it is pretty well dry ,give a couple days to insure then return to final size...