PDA

View Full Version : Big Banners

Joe Pelonio
03-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I've mentioned before the 5' x 25' 2-sided banners that I make for going over the main road here in our city. This time the one I just made (right) and one I made 2-3 years ago are both up at the same time. Unfortunately there's no place to stop safely and get out for a good picture, I had to be quick so it's not that great but you get the idea. They are hung by 1/4" wire rope running through the banners top and bottom.

Scott Shepherd
03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Man, that's a big banner Joe! Nice looking work. I bet hanging it was fun as well with the traffic! I hope you got hazardous duty pay for it :)

Joe Pelonio
03-11-2008, 12:49 PM
No, they wouldn't let me hang it. The city requires that it be done by their staff, and charge people $180 for that. There's a long list of requirements these have to meet, but actually rarely do (like letter sizes). Their initial
version was impossible to meet. I worked with them to change it so it was more realistic, but it's still hard for the designs requested by the groups ordering them. So far only one has been destroyed when it was left up during a windstorm.

Here's their requirements/permit form:

http://www.ci.sammamish.wa.us/files/document/2901.pdf

Brent Vander Weil
03-20-2008, 3:07 PM
Did they have wind vents cut in the banner? Seems like a big sail without them...?

Joe Pelonio
03-20-2008, 4:33 PM
Yes, I cut in many wind vents. Supposedly this construction and hanging method can withstand 80 mph winds but I wouldn't like to be nearby if it gets tested. I think it would bend the steel poles.

Brent Vander Weil
03-21-2008, 12:11 AM
I agree dosen't look that substatial for the vantage point of the photo, but I am not sure I would want to be near about any sign at 80MPH. LOL

Tim Morton
03-21-2008, 7:07 AM
Yes, I cut in many wind vents. Supposedly this construction and hanging method can withstand 80 mph winds but I wouldn't like to be nearby if it gets tested. I think it would bend the steel poles.

I make the same type of banners...and out town charges us $240.