PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 3520B good for small stuff?

jason lambert
03-11-2008, 10:46 AM
I have turned in the past a little and am building a shop. The lathes I have used where all small but the way my life works I would like to get a nice lath in the shop maybe a Powermatic 3520B before the kid arrives in June after that I think there will be no more toys so I better do it right the first time at least with the big stuff. Anyhow if I get this and want to do small stuff on it like turning pens does it work well? Or is it just more convent to have a jet mini for small stuff and a bigger lath for bigger stuff?

Really is there any disadvantage to a big lathe?

Keith Burns
03-11-2008, 10:52 AM
There is a saying. You can turn small stuff on a big lathe but you can't turn big stuff on a small lathe. If it were me I'd go for the PM.

Jim Becker
03-11-2008, 11:01 AM
What Kieth said....turning small things on a large lathe is actually a pleasure as you have room to maneuver your body easier. The larger machines like the PM 3520 also run extremely smoothly which is of great benefit to small work, too.

jason lambert
03-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks Jim I was worried I would have that issue that getting around a small lathe would be easer than trying to get around a big lathe. I thoughth that it might just be to big talking to some turners most still had there originla mini lathes and I was wonder why they kept them.

Thomas Bennett
03-11-2008, 12:11 PM
I turned about 50-60 pens on my PM3520 "C" around Christmas time. I turned the speed up to maximum and turned them with an Ellsworth bowl gouge. It worked great. Go ahead and get it!

curtis rosche
03-11-2008, 3:18 PM
get one of these youll be hhappy with it it has a big capacity works well with small stuff to and has a great price and because its not made in mexico or japan it is dependable

26020VDR-M2 / 260VDR-M2 -20" AND 12" WOOD TURNING LATHE- 4 Variable/Reversible Speeds With Electronic Control
this company has different sizes go to the distibutor page to find a place that has them
http://www.general.ca/pagetitre/ang/lathes.html

Scott Hubl
03-11-2008, 4:43 PM
Simple answer? YES.
The Powermatic 3520B and earlier models have a LONG Proven track record for Quality and durability.
In its class it is the BIGGEST BANG for your dollar.

I'm placing my order for a 3520B today.

You won't be sorry buying one for small or large works.

Rich Souchek
03-11-2008, 8:22 PM
Jason,
I use whatever I've got. My 3520B works real good for pens on high speed but it does feel like overkill. What tickles me sometimes is my closed end mandrel for el Grandes is matched to my Oneway Stronghold chuck. So not only is the 3520B big, but the big chuck on it is sooooooooo smooth turning the closed end pen bodies.
Sounds funny, but I also turn some fishing lures on the big lathe. I love it.
Then the net project might be a 19" pecan bowl.
One never knows.
Rich S.

Steve Sherman
03-15-2008, 6:12 AM
I've been hugging my 3520A for 7 years averaging 6-10 hours a day during the week.
Never a bobble or burp and the lathe can't tell the difference between a 3/8" mini goblet or a 20" vessel.
I have worked on many machines in the past but always come back to my PM!,...Steve