PDA

View Full Version : Strip-built fly rod

Royce Meritt
03-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, I finished my fly rod.

Basically 6 strips of white ash, milled at 30 degrees, glued into a hexagon and sanded to a taper. Attach reel seat, grip and ferrules. Wind on the guides with thread.

Overall, an interesting project. I learned a lot. I guess it didn't turn out too bad for my first attempt. Hopefully the next on will be better.

Take a look.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-11-2008, 10:26 AM
A tedious task I'm sure. Nicely done Royce! What weight line are you going to use on it? What finish did you use?

Jamie Buxton
03-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Why six strips of ash instead of just one piece?

And how did you mill the strips? With such tiny cross-section they'd likely flop around if I fed them through my table saw or jointer.

Royce Meritt
03-11-2008, 10:32 AM
A tedious task I'm sure. Nicely done Royce! What weight line are you going to use on it? What finish did you use?

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not sure about the line weight yet. I'm thinking 3 or 4 weight. I didn't really have a comparable rod to compare with while doing the taper.

I am going to a fly fishing expo this weekend. I intend to take it with me and stop by the reel and/or line vendors and try out some different combinations.

Finished with 2 coats of brushed-on spar urethane followed by 3 coats of sparyed-on spar.

Royce Meritt
03-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Why six strips of ash instead of just one piece?

And how did you mill the strips? With such tiny cross-section they'd likely flop around if I fed them through my table saw or jointer.

6 strips instead of one piece so that the grain can be oriented so that when the rod flexes one direction it is supported by grain on the other side. That way minor changes in grain direction are offset by grain on the other side of the rod. In a nutshell, a lamination will be stronger than a single piece.

Milled at 30 degrees using a 30 degree chamfer bit in a router table with lots of feather boards and guides.

Wayne Cannon
03-12-2008, 3:16 PM
This thread reminded me of my father-in-law (now gone) who used to make his own fly rods. His technique was probably very traditional, but I didn't know anything about rod building (and still don't). I do remember that he had a jig that was essentially a 30-degree cavity in a board about 4" wide and longer than the rod. I think the cavity was also tapered end-to-end. He started with a small rectangular strip of bamboo or hardwood in the cavity, and then used a block plane and cabinet scraper to flatten the exposed surface of the strip flush with the top of the jig -- essentially like a specialized long-grain shooting board. His approach yielded six identical wedge-shaped pieces to glue up. I don't know if he made or purchased the jig.

Jim Becker
03-12-2008, 3:32 PM
Ok, I'm not into fishing, but I have to say that you made a fine looking rod there! I suspect that you'll get a lot of enjoyment, not just from its performance, but from the fact that you'll be using something made with your own hands. :) What's not to like about that?

Tyler Howell
03-12-2008, 7:00 PM
Well done Royce,
You've cornered the mkt on out door products.

Royce Meritt
03-13-2008, 12:37 PM
This thread reminded me of my father-in-law (now gone) who used to make his own fly rods. His technique was probably very traditional, but I didn't know anything about rod building (and still don't). I do remember that he had a jig that was essentially a 30-degree cavity in a board about 4" wide and longer than the rod. I think the cavity was also tapered end-to-end. He started with a small rectangular strip of bamboo or hardwood in the cavity, and then used a block plane and cabinet scraper to flatten the exposed surface of the strip flush with the top of the jig -- essentially like a specialized long-grain shooting board. His approach yielded six identical wedge-shaped pieces to glue up. I don't know if he made or purchased the jig.

You got it right. That is the traditional way of making split bamboo rods. I have not made a bamboo rod but may also give that a try someday.

Royce Meritt
03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Well done Royce,
You've cornered the mkt on out door products.

Hey Tyler!

Yep, a lot of my projects seem to gravitate toward outdoor themes. To date I have made:

Duck, goose, deer and elk calls
Gun cases and cabinets
Walking sticks
shooting sticks

Fly rods
fly boxes
landing nets
rod cases
rod racks
fly tying desks

Golf putters

I guess, since I don't get to spend as much time with all of my hobbies (hunting, fishing, golf and woodworking) as I like I just combine them.

Michael Gibbons
03-14-2008, 1:07 AM
Nice rod ,Royce! But I'll get mine from Cabelas thank you very much. I wouldn't want a rod I built give out when I got a lunker on the other end.!! :eek::D

Bob Hallowell
03-14-2008, 1:11 AM
That's really impressive. Make sure you post once you get a chance to spool some line on it and lay some line out.

Bob

Keel McDonald
03-14-2008, 9:29 AM
Hey Tyler!

Yep, a lot of my projects seem to gravitate toward outdoor themes. To date I have made:

Duck, goose, deer and elk calls
Gun cases and cabinets
Walking sticks
shooting sticks

Fly rods
fly boxes
landing nets
rod cases
rod racks
fly tying desks

Golf putters

I guess, since I don't get to spend as much time with all of my hobbies (hunting, fishing, golf and woodworking) as I like I just combine them.

Royce,

Not to hijack this thread, but what is a "shooting stick"?

John Powers
03-14-2008, 1:17 PM
There is a great tradition of cane rod building in America. Orvis claims they made their first rod when Lincoln was a Whig. They sell new for well over a grand. I'm all graphite myself but would love to own a cane rod. I'd be curious how the ash handles on the stream.

Royce Meritt
03-18-2008, 4:28 PM
Royce,

Not to hijack this thread, but what is a "shooting stick"?

For lack of a better way to describ it, a shooting stick is used to support a rifle when shooting.

Ed Costello
03-18-2008, 7:16 PM
Looks great!! I know that green heart and lancewood were used before bamboo. I don't think I have seen a rod made from ash. When are you going to try bamboo? It looks like the action is going to be mighty fast. A good rod for those windy days. I hope you post a follow up to let us know how it casts, and hopefully how it handles a fish. I have used a brush to apply spar to a few rods it was quite tedious. I have switched to a dip tube with a valve on the bottom. It works quite well and is easily done.

Tight lines
Ed