PDA

View Full Version : What are these planes and is it worth $150 for all of them?

James K Peterson
03-11-2008, 5:37 AM
I found this guy locally, but I haven't spoken to him yet. I think it might be worth it for all of the planes if they are in good shape, but I'm still learning (from all of you especially) I can't tell what the planes are, anyone have some guesses? (and opinion on value).

Thanks
James Peterson

Heather Thompson
03-11-2008, 6:01 AM
It is going to be real hard to get an answer to your question as your post seems to be missing some critical information.

Heather :p

James K Peterson
03-11-2008, 6:18 AM
Sorry, forgot to attach the pic :rolleyes:
That's pretty much all the info he has in the message. I have to call him to get more info, but I was hopeing for an idea first.

Thanks
James Peterson

Sam Yerardi
03-11-2008, 6:19 AM
Actually I can't tell what the planes are either ;) (Sorry - couldn't help myself)

Heather Thompson
03-11-2008, 6:20 AM
Still see no pic, might want to try that again.

Heather ;)

Sam Yerardi
03-11-2008, 6:24 AM
Jim,

They look like Stanleys, perhaps a 4, 5 and a 7? And a Stanley block plane? $150 seems a bit high to me even if they are in great shape but I only say that because I've gotten planes like these at flea markets, etc. for maybe $15 a piece, sometimes $20-30 for the larger planes. That would tend to put the overall price closer to $100 or less but it's hard to say. If you're like me, and they are all in good shape and you need them, then they're worth that to you. If they are $50-60 over-priced, that may not be a deciding factor for me because I'll spend that much just going to the next flea market, etc.

Heather Thompson
03-11-2008, 6:31 AM
Jim,

I will tend to agree with Sam as far as the identification and 150.00 would be a little high in my opinion, 100.00 for the group would be a little more realistic. If it is not a long journey it would be worth a look see, also meeting the owner always helps in my decision making process.

Heather :)

John Powers
03-11-2008, 7:47 AM
the 5 might be real clean but the horn looks chipped. you might have duplicate 4's (?) there also. The orange block plane might be a 110 or a Great Neck or something you don't want and the Stanley black block plane looks modern. Might be worth a short drive at $3.19 a gallon but not $150.00. Its amazing what people think old tools are worth; too much Antiques Roadshow.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-11-2008, 8:35 AM
Too new. Rounded iron tops are one of the signs of the decline in quality that started in the 60's, I think. I would skip these, and by some older ones.

James Mittlefehldt
03-11-2008, 8:42 AM
I don't see $150. there in that group, and would suggest unless the owner is in a bargaining mood than to steer clear of them. Easy of course for me to say from here lol.

James K Peterson
03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
well you all were right. They weren't worth the $150
Here's the info I got back from the seller:

"There is a craftsman no 4 (smooth plane) it has corrugated sides, made
sometime in the fifties, and in perfect working order. There are 2 Groz
hand planes, a No 4 Smooth plane and a No 5 Jack plane, both in perfect
working order. There is also a Stanley No 9 1/2, a newer model, adjustable
mouth, great condition. The blue block plane, I believe is a Stanley. I
also believe that it was made sometime during the second world war when
Stanley was making there planes a little cheaper (quality was not as good as usual due to the depression). All of these planes are in excellent condition, no rust and have all
of there parts. Most of the blades are sharp enough to start planing now."

I'll just stick with Walt's, Sandy's, or Clint's stuff. I can't seem to find decent prices on planes locally (either the planes are in bad shape and not cheap, or in good shape and have a very high price) and ebay seems to have too many bidders inflating the prices :(

Thanks again for the sound advice
James

Clint Jones
03-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Here is what the planes are Craftsman No.4 clone, Anant No.4, Anant No.5, and a Newer made in england 60.5 . I wouldnt pay more the $25 for all of them and that is just for the 60.5 which is the only decent plane in the lot. -Clint