PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection System is 90% complete

Adan Madrid
03-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Hello fellow SMCers

After 3 boxes of pop-rivets, 2 tubes of silicone, a garage full of ducting, 3 weekends of effort and 1 box of bandades, the dust collection system is just about complete.

I ran the ducting above the rafters to conserve space and placed the 2HP unit at one corner of the garage. I tested it today and boy does it have great suction power.

I have a question maybe someone can advise me on. I have a 14" delta bandsaw which comes with a 2" port located just below the table on the front side. I have a 4" branch feeding that machine. Should I step it down to 2" with reducers and run a 2" hose for the final 1-2 feet or would it be much better to drill a 4" hole on the side panel and fasten a 4" sleeve?

Thanks Mark for all your help!

Bill Pentz
03-18-2004, 12:34 AM
Hello fellow SMCers

I have a question maybe someone can advise me on. I have a 14" delta bandsaw which comes with a 2" port located just below the table on the front side. I have a 4" branch feeding that machine. Should I step it down to 2" with reducers and run a 2" hose for the final 1-2 feet or would it be much better to drill a 4" hole on the side panel and fasten a 4" sleeve?

Mark,

If you reduce down to a 2" fitting you will reduce your CFM in your main to about 125 with only 650 FPM. Anything less than 3700 FPM causes piles of dust, chips, and small blocks to build up. When you open a larger gate downstream, that stuff slams into your impeller potentially causing motor bearing and impeller damage. I recommend using the same sized down drops and machine connections as you main if your shop is setup to just use one port at a time. There are some excellent options to replace that too small port. Delta sells a replacement unit, and many have made their own hoods from HVAC parts. Ideally you would have a 4" inlet below the blade that also pulls from the lower blade area, plus another pipe that will pull the dust from off your work.

bill

Tyler Howell
03-18-2004, 10:45 AM

Thanks Mark for all your help![/QUOTE]
Adan,

Good info here from the Soggy Bottom Gang. I did the dead and am very pleased;)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=7606 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=7606)

PS Great Pix Nice shop>

Jim Becker
03-18-2004, 10:50 AM
I have a 4" branch feeding that machine. Should I step it down to 2" with reducers and run a 2" hose for the final 1-2 feet or would it be much better to drill a 4" hole on the side panel and fasten a 4" sleeve?

Either replace the 2" (really much smaller if you look inside!) with a larger one like shown below or similar...or put a port in the door like someone else recently posted. Increasing the air flow really makes a dramatic difference in collection at the bandsaw, especially since these machines really do create a lot of fine dust and chips.

Adan Madrid
03-18-2004, 7:38 PM

Adan,

Good info here from the Soggy Bottom Gang. I did the dead and am very pleased;)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=7606 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=7606)

PS Great Pix Nice shop>[/QUOTE]

Tyler,

Thanks for the pics and link. That is a great idea! side panel here I come.

Adan Madrid
03-18-2004, 7:41 PM
Either replace the 2" (really much smaller if you look inside!) with a larger one like shown below or similar...or put a port in the door like someone else recently posted. Increasing the air flow really makes a dramatic difference in collection at the bandsaw, especially since these machines really do create a lot of fine dust and chips.

Jim,

Thanks for the advise and pictures. I currently have a 4" hose hanging down from the blastgate intended to service the bandsaw and boy does it have good suction power. I would hate to loose the CFM by dropping down to 2".

Thanks again!

Jim Becker
03-18-2004, 9:29 PM
Sorry for the poor quality of the pic, but it was taken about four years ago with a Polaroid and scanned--and I no longer own that saw to take a new one. It's a "BD" pic..."Before Digital". :D