PDA

View Full Version : 6" PVC source

Dylan Smith
03-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Maybe I'm just not calling the right folks, but I'm having a "spot of trouble" (euphemistically) tracking down a source for 6" PVC for my nifty new dust collector.

It's not like the orange or blue places carry it, and none of the plumbing supply places I've called yet do either.

Any ideas on getting my dirty mitts on some in Tucson, AZ?

I'd rather not order through McM-Carr or something like that; I prefer to deal locally when I can. But if ya gotta, ya gotta....

Robert Payne
03-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Check irrigation system suppliers, farm suppliers and landscape contractors for 6" S&D D2729 and the fittings. I found mine in upstate SC at a plumbing supplier, about 40 miles south on me, for about $1.60/ft. Our Big Blue store carries the 6" fittings but the plumbing supplier was 20% less.

Rick Gifford
03-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Locally I went to JABO Supply Corporation, which is a distributor of pipe, valves and fittings. Only place I could find it without paying crazy prices. Lowes had some but man was it ever marked high.

Maybe you can find a supplier like this is your area. Tucson is way bigger than where I am at. Wish you the best of luck.

Dylan Smith
03-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Unfortunately, farming here isn't exactly a booming industry. What little we had has been shoved out by Death Star-like subdivisions sprawling over the only decent farmland around.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to track down some irrigation places, etc.

Larry Fox
03-11-2008, 8:55 AM
I got mine from a local plumbing supply house (U.S. Supply) but it was NOT cheap but was the most reasonable I could find.

Chris Padilla
03-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Dylan, you may wish to look into metal as well...if PVC becomes difficult to locate and you have to ship. Costs may be similar so don't rule it out.

I found all my 6" 2729 (SDR-30 will work, too, but may be pricier) at a local irrigation warehouse for about $1.20/ft. All my fittings came from McMaster.

John Keeton
03-11-2008, 8:56 PM
I went with 6" hvac metal. The difference in cost compared to the pvc was dramatic, especially the fittings. Seems it may be related to petroleum pricing, or so I was informed.

Jim O'Dell
03-11-2008, 9:39 PM
One state to the east, and I could give you a source. ;) I spent a lot of time calling and looking here in Ft. Worth before I found it. My best recommendation is to not call it S&D 2729. The pipe places just don't know it as that. Call it 6" thin wall gravity fed sewer and drain pipe. Then when they say yes we have that, point out that it is stamped with S&D 2729 on the pipe!! All I got was "Oh." The wall thickness is 1/10th of an inch. Uses the same fittings as the SDR35 green pipe that some of the Lowes carry in stock.
I just remembered a source from the Clear Vue forum: http://www.horizononline.com/about_us/locations/showstate.phtml/Arizona/
Don't know how far away they are from you, but worth a try.
The company I bought mine from is Morrison Supply. http://www.morsco.com/ I know that they are in the states that touch Texas, but Los Cruces, or Albuquerque NM looks to be about as close as they get to you. Jim.

Dylan Smith
03-11-2008, 10:29 PM
I just remembered a source from the Clear Vue forum: http://www.horizononline.com/about_us/locations/showstate.phtml/Arizona/

Hey Jim,

Gracias!

Looks like Horizon carries 2729 in 6". I'll give them a call tomorrow; hope they aren't too expensive.

Funny, they didn't show up in any of my Google searches. There goes my rep. as a Googlemeister. ;(

Chris Padilla
03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Horizon happens to be the name of the irrigation warehouse I got my pipe at here in sunny San Jose. :)

Jim O'Dell
03-12-2008, 11:56 AM
No problem Dylan. With all the leg and phone work I did finding it here, that link was posted at the CV site, so I looked. They have 2 locations here in Fort Worth, and I never ran across them at all! And I thought I had visited with, in person or on the phone, just about every plumbing supply store in town. So don't feel bad. I think some of these places don't advertise to the public. Jim.

Eric Gustafson
03-12-2008, 1:05 PM
I get mine at:

Irrigation Sprinkler Supply
2130 E 12th Street | Tucson, AZ 85719 | Phone: (520) 792-4652

Dylan Smith
03-13-2008, 1:56 PM
Thanks for the tip, Eric.

Not a bad price for the pipe. The fittings - that's another story. Ouch!