Julie Wright
03-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Can you laser any type of wood? :confused:

The stablized stuff or just the run of the mill stuff? :confused:

THanks

Keith Outten
03-18-2004, 4:38 AM
Julie,

I don't know as I have not tried them all yet :)

Technically the quality of the engravig is relative to the amount of resin in the wood, higher resin content in the wood will provide better contrast (darker engraving).

Ken Nelsen
04-06-2004, 1:29 AM
Can you laser any type of wood? :confused:

The stablized stuff or just the run of the mill stuff? :confused:

THanks

Julie,
I do a fair bit of pen engraving for the penturners around the country and have engraved several stabilized wood pens. I've found that the resins used in the stabilization process have a tendency not to darken the wood as much as the "run of the mill stuff". Much like engraving on a piece of wood that has an oil finish on it ( Watco, tung oil, etc.).It still engraves okay but depending on the amount of figure in the wood, quite often it needs a colorfill of some sort for adequate contrast.

Keith Outten
04-13-2004, 5:24 AM
Ken,

I was wondering if you had tried using a rotary attachment to engrave pens. I normally use a flat "V" groove jig to engrave names but I have been working on a new fixture that combined with my rotary attachment would allow me to engrave the entire pen surface. Basically the idea is to engrave the pen barrels while they are on the mandrel or possibly a custom mandrel built to fit the rotary. The biggest problem is allowing for the diameter of the pen barrels since they vary so often. The graphics work isn't the problem, it is having to create so many different diameter disks to accommodate the pen sizes for each end of the mandrel.

If you are using a Universal engraver I know that your rotary attachment works different than mine, I believe that it spins between centers and possibly you don't have this issue to contend with.