PDA

View Full Version : need circular saw blade 0.05" or less

Jay Femrirte
03-10-2008, 9:19 PM
I am in search of a circular saw blade that is less than 0.05" about 3/64th inch. Arbor size 5/8. Diameter I am guessing would need to be smaller than 10" because of the thickness. I only need to cut less than 1" deep so the main plate could be thicker than the cutting portion. Any ideas?

Peter Quinn
03-10-2008, 9:42 PM
look for a HSS plywood blade with minimal set, kinda old school but might do it. Check Irwin 11440, has a .059" kerf.

Jay Femrirte
03-10-2008, 9:54 PM
It needs to be a Carbide-Tipped Blade. I am finding several at about 0.059" but for the product I am splitting it needs to be less that 0.050" or it removes too much material. Band saw is too rough and I can't find a thin enough kerf router groover bit either. I need to run hundreds of feet so it needs to last.

Joe Chritz
03-10-2008, 10:05 PM
You could possibly look into having one custom ground maybe if someone could do it.

Perhaps an idea of what you are doing with it would help get some other alternatives.

There are bandsaw blades that can cut veneers ready for glue up so depending on what you are doing, investing in a better band saw blade may be a faster, safer and more economical solution. Maybe even farming it out to someone with commercial equipment.

I don't know of any carbide blades with that thin of a kerf standard.

Joe

John Terefenko
03-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Yes you need to give us an idea as to what you are doing. There maybe an alternative. Either that you may have to go to one of those battery operated saws. They have thinner blades but smaller diam. too.

Jamie Buxton
03-10-2008, 11:11 PM
.. Band saw is too rough ...

Nope. A bandsaw with a typical steel blade is likely too rough, but a good bandsaw with a carbide blade leaves a surface which is as smooth as a good tablesaw blade.

Jim Becker
03-11-2008, 8:27 AM
Jay, a company like Forrest or Ridge Carbide could likely custom grind a TK blade to that kerf for you.

Doug Shepard
03-11-2008, 8:36 AM
Thought I knew of something, but this one only has 1/4" depth on the thin part.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Saws/Custom_Table_Saw_Fret_Slotting_Blade.html

Eric Haycraft
03-11-2008, 8:42 AM
I am in search of a circular saw blade that is less than 0.05" about 3/64th inch. Arbor size 5/8. Diameter I am guessing would need to be smaller than 10" because of the thickness. I only need to cut less than 1" deep so the main plate could be thicker than the cutting portion. Any ideas?

Take a look at cordless circular saw blades. They are quite thin and many have 5/8 arbors. If you can't find one, custom made is probably the only way to go.

Peter Quinn
03-11-2008, 8:57 AM
Scratching my head and curious now. Trying to guess what material is hard enough to ruin HSS within hundreds of feet, is 1" thick and needs to be split leaving glue joint quality cuts removing less than 1/16" kerf?

I'd guess short of a custom variation of that fret slotting blade listed above you aren't going to find a circular saw blade with a plate much below .060" as it would become unstable. Is it possible your expectations are unrealistic given the physical properties of metal?

David Epperson
03-11-2008, 9:05 AM
You might just have to look outside the woodworking arena and take a look at metalworking slitting blades. I've seem those at 0.020" kerf, but the diameter you are looking for could be real iffy.

Tom Walz
03-11-2008, 12:32 PM
We can help.

A big part of our market is blades for flooring, window blinds, etc. This is an area where blades are advertised as being thinner than a dime.

We do these all the time. Custom blades can be a lot cheaper than most folks expect. Delivery depends on how custom. We do have some questions; tip count, .050 plate or kerf, thin rim, tapered rim, machine, material, etc.?

If you call Emily at 800 346-8274, she will get you a couple quotes.

Tom

Joe Chritz
03-11-2008, 1:07 PM
There ya go.

I am still curious as to the application as it has me scratching my head. Glad I'm not a cat.

Joe

Mike Goetzke
03-11-2008, 1:58 PM
There ya go.

I am still curious as to the application as it has me scratching my head. Glad I'm not a cat.

Joe

Same here.

Chris Padilla
03-11-2008, 3:05 PM
It's a secret!! :)

Charles McCracken
03-11-2008, 4:31 PM

The Freud Diablo 7-1/4" blades are 0.059" kerf.

Jay Femrirte
03-11-2008, 11:43 PM
A co-worker found what we were looking for. We are having them custom made. I did find a cordless blade made by panasonic that was super thin also. We are splitting a small decorative moulding and using both sides.