PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good large format engraving laser for granite...

Tomek Jablonski
03-10-2008, 8:11 PM
Hi! As I wrote in topic need laser for granite with quite big working area. I found interresting machines such Vytek L-star LST and Camtech L20. Brochures are talking that Vytek is faster -175ips=10500ipm and Camtech is marking 2200ipm. Which parameter is the most important and which machine uses better laser (im just only starting my adventure with lasers)? what about dpi and overal quality while making pictures? any good site for searching used lasers?
Thanks in advance!

Jack Harper
03-10-2008, 9:19 PM
A laser manufacturer tends to list their speed per minute when their speed per second does not look impressive. In the end speed is speed. You will find the faster lasers will produce an exaggerated oblong/oval dot over a clean round dot when firing. This can effect image quality if sharp detail is what you are looking for in your final piece. Speed is relative to power as well. You will need a higher power laser to laser an image into stone at top speed. You should have the manufacturers demonstrate using your preferred material at top speed to see what power laser you will need. I would guess that at 150ips into marble you will need at least 100w. Additionally, you might want to take a look at Kern lasers as well. Just expect to spend around $100K for a large format laser.

Sandra Force
03-11-2008, 12:08 PM
You might also want to look at the Kern Electronics lasers. They are heavy duty enough to do stone and their customer service is one of the best in the business. You will find that very important in the future.:)

Mark Mullis
03-12-2008, 9:03 PM
Tomek,
look at the web site for Exfactory, they sell used woodworking tools and have several large format lasers for sale, mostly camtech.

Darren Null
03-13-2008, 9:05 AM
Oddly enough, power isn't that critical with marble I've only got a 10W laser and it does marble just fine at top speed...if I burn it hard by going slower it just burns the marks to a nasty sepia colour, instead of white (but that could be a function of the particular marble I was using). Same for granite, but I have to burn it a little harder.

If you're going to be doing large-format marble, what you really need to look at is the load-bearing ability of the bed. Marble is heavy stuff.

Craig Hogarth
03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I've seem some of Vyteks demos and if you're interested in quality, you can't go wrong with them.

Neal Schlee
03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Here's a good deal on Vytek, 150 watt engraver.
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bfs/588208902.html

I'd buy it myself, but just don't have any requests for large area engraving. Nobody wants to pay the price.

Neal

James Stokes
03-14-2008, 4:02 PM
Just for the record, If you buy a Vytek machine, Forget about support, They have none.

Luke Phillips
03-14-2008, 5:27 PM
I agree - customer service needs work, however, I'm very happy with the product and the training I received at the factory. Doreen was always very quick to respond and go the extra distance to help me with production questions and advice. For doing stonework, the large format systems are hard to beat.

Kevin Warren
03-20-2008, 1:15 PM
Hi Tomek: Tech support is very important. Where are you located. Kevin

Scott Lang
03-20-2008, 2:31 PM
like mentioned above, there is no need for high power to engrave marble/granite. I have found that when doing photos and engraving into marble that 30-40w is actually better than higher models.

I suggest getting the new Universal ILS if you want the size.

Jack Harper
03-20-2008, 2:49 PM
Just to clarify my earlier comment regarding power. Yes it is true, you can engrave marble and such at lower, 30 or 40 watts. However, you cannot do so at high end, high speeds like the Vytek running at 175ips. To laser image stone at this speed, you must get a higher watt laser. If you don't, it would be like buying a Ferrari and putting a VW Bug engine in it. If your going to spend the money for any of the top tier speed demon, large format lasers, make sure it will perform at the top speed. Of course, if speed is not important, then look at something like Camtek and a 30/40 watt laser. By the way, this is regret talking as I realize that I purchased mine with a low power laser and, as such, cannot archive maximum speed.