PDA

View Full Version : New Porter Cable dovetail jig?

Scott Houghton
03-10-2008, 6:33 PM
Has anyone purchased the new P-C dovetail jig? Any reason to choose it over the Leigh?

Dave Bureau
03-10-2008, 6:44 PM
I dont own one but I've looked at them. I have a leigh. first of all the fit and finish is nicer than the leigh. machined parts instead of cast. The 1 handle clamp release is a good feature. There is a bit setting gauge on top that i like. a router support in front. I didnt look to see if it had a vac port though. the fingers slide on and off easier than the leigh. It seems alot beefier. It wont do anything that the leigh wont do. If i didnt have one already i would buy the PC. but wont sell mine to buy one. ( i have isoloc templates also) I dont know if pc has any isoloc type templates.
Just my .02

Eric Haycraft
03-10-2008, 6:51 PM
I dont own one but I've looked at them. I have a leigh. first of all the fit and finish is nicer than the leigh. machined parts instead of cast. The 1 handle clamp release is a good feature. There is a bit setting gauge on top that i like. a router support in front. I didnt look to see if it had a vac port though. the fingers slide on and off easier than the leigh. It seems alot beefier. It wont do anything that the leigh wont do. If i didnt have one already i would buy the PC. but wont sell mine to buy one. ( i have isoloc templates also) I dont know if pc has any isoloc type templates.
Just my .02

No isolocs.. that is patented.
The dust port is ~30 bucks and has a 4" port. I just picked up the dust port, but haven't used it yet.
I have the jig. It is really really nice. Everything is nicely machined and totally adjustable. What is never stated and where it blows the leigh away is the large surfaces for the work piece. The front hangs below the table and provides a nice flat surface. Long story short, it is really easy to get your pieces clamped in there at a perfect 90 degree angle. It is a 70 plus pound beast and built like a tank.
You may still be able to find them for 500 dollars (what I paid), but I think that most places have raised it to 550 or 600 now.

Edit:
Couple more comments. The router support is much nicer on the PC. The leigh VRS is an obvious afterthought and not nearly as sturdy or well thought out as the PC.
If I had had a d4r, I wouldn't have upgraded, not worth it. If buying new, I would go with the PC, it is really nice.

Dave Bureau
03-10-2008, 6:57 PM
yes i did notice the work surface but forgot to mention it. as far as isoloc templates go they could come up with there own design. I've seen other companies making them.I dont remember who though.

J. Z. Guest
03-10-2008, 9:09 PM
Which PC jig are we talking about? It must be a big one, for $500. I thought you were talking about the 4212 until you mentioned the price.

Dave Bureau
03-10-2008, 9:10 PM
its actually 595.00

William Nimmo
03-10-2008, 9:46 PM
it is the 77240