PDA

View Full Version : Mommas purse = New Lathe

john l graham
03-10-2008, 6:03 PM
Momma has opened the purse strings a bit and I have some funds to get started with a new lathe. I have been drooling over the web sites for days now. The Jet VS mini really gets the outstanding comments. I can spend a little more than that and have looked at the General 25-200. I will still have some funds for a chuck, bench grinder, turning tools, etc even with the 25-200.

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25200a.html

I read that the 25-200 had controller issues in the past, but was assured these were worked out. Are there other or better lathes in the $500 to $600 dollar price range. Thanks for the comments. John

Edit: http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Home/Landing2726a648.html

This new Jet has the slower VS I would like. The headstock does not rotate. Trade offs make my brain hurt.

Rod Sheridan
03-10-2008, 6:30 PM
Hi John, the lathe you've mentioned has a DC motor instead of an AC induction motor.

DC motors have brushes and commutators. The brushes will require routine replacement, and the commutator may require dressing after several brush replacements.

I don't know how important the variable speed function is to you, however the turning club I belong to has several of the non variable speed GI mini lathes for loaning to members during turning parties. The lathes seem to work quite well.

If it were me, I would rather have a 4 speed lathe with an induction motor, than a variable speed lathe with a DC motor.

regards, Rod.

Brodie Brickey
03-10-2008, 6:59 PM
http://www.woodturner.org/resources/LatheSpecs.pdf

John,

Above is a link to a lathe specifications sheet put together by Ed Davidson.

Personally, if I was buying a lathe in that price range I'd be trying to get the most swing over the bed I could for the money, without going Delta (trust me I had one).

A used Jet would be best, but the 12" jet model that is the next step up from the 1012 Jet would be a great place to start. I have a Powermatic and a Jet mini VS. The VS takes a little while to spin up and I only use it for pens and other small stuff. I'm not sure how it would take small bowls compared to the non VS version which works really good.

Keep in mind that you'll still need a chuck, at least 1 bowl gouge, and a basic HF turning set to get started.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2008, 7:26 PM
Jet 1220 would be my pick. I wish it had be available when I bought. I bought the Rikon with a 12" swing and for a midi lathe the Jet will do the job. When you get the big lathe you will still have it for doing small projects. (Oh yea there will be a bigger lathe.:eek::D:rolleyes::cool:;))

john l graham
03-10-2008, 7:45 PM
Momma's purse will have to fill up again.

Gordon Seto
03-10-2008, 8:03 PM
Ditto everything Bernie said. I didn't have the Rikon, I have the Jet 1014VS.

Once you use one with VS, you won't miss the step pulley.

Joel Sauder
03-10-2008, 8:53 PM
John,

I have the GI 25-200 and I love it! I think it is the best deal going hands down!. The Jet is just too small for anything sizeable. I have turned a 14in bowl with the pivoting headstock (you have be to careful to turn something this big on this lathe, but you can do it).

I, like others, had a problem with the controller. I faxed them my serial number and they sent out a new one ASAP. Can't complain about that.

If you would like to know more about the 25-200, PM me with you phone number and I will give you a call.

Joel

curtis rosche
03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
get one of these we have these and they work great theres enough power to turn any thing at any speed you can do the out bored on the other side of the head stock plus if you get a really big peice you can just order another head and tail stock riser ithese work well i have both and love them

26020VDR-M2 / 260VDR-M2 -20" AND 12" WOOD TURNING LATHE- 4 Variable/Reversible Speeds With Electronic Control

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/0general/260vd_20vda.html

Harry Hagan
03-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Brodie,

Thanks for the spec sheet.

john l graham
03-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Waiting to hear back on the Jet 1220VS. If they are out by mid April, I will decide between it and the Jet 1236. I was told that the Gen. 25-250's are still having controller issues and hard to find. Thanks for all the info and suggestions. The waiting game continues. John

Tom Steyer
03-12-2008, 12:57 PM
John,

I would think the 1220VS Jet would be my choice. If you need additional length, the bed extensions are not expensive.

The Jet 1236 is a very old design, and probably the least desirable lathe in the Jet line. Everyone I know who got one of these has moved on to something better in short order.

Charles Hannemann
03-12-2008, 8:28 PM
The Laguna 18/47 is on sale for 1599. If thats over your spending limit save your money till you can afford something with more swing or you will be wanting more very soon!:rolleyes: