PDA

View Full Version : First Attempts

Robert foster
03-10-2008, 5:52 PM
Here are my first attempts at turning. I only have left over wood so I used it. I think it is treated Pine. Just practicing and learning. Lathe is a HF T34706.

Bob

Clem Wixted
03-10-2008, 6:41 PM
Robert,

Looking at your turned pieces you can't even tell what lathe thay were turned on! :-)

Keep up the good work. Be careful with the dust from treated wood, it could be harmful to your health. Wear good lung protection.

Clem

Here are my first attempts at turning. I only have left over wood so I used it. I think it is treated Pine. Just practicing and learning. Lathe is a HF T34706.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2008, 7:01 PM
Robert those are very nice turnings. Like Clem said wear some lung protection.

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2008, 7:20 PM
Robert - those are some good looking turnings! Like everyone else - when you mentioned treated pine we all cringed! DON'T beathe the dust from anything treated - make sure you have some form of protection for your breathing!!!

Looking forward to seeing some more of your turnigs!

robert hainstock
03-10-2008, 7:44 PM
and on a HF 34706, (my lathe too). and what they said about treated wood. :):D:eek:
Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2008, 8:22 PM
Extremely nice first turnings. My first was a bonker....Yours is much better!

Tom Sherman
03-11-2008, 2:57 AM
A Great start there Robert, you gotta turn what you got. Just keep making them curlies.

jason lambert
03-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Looks good, as the rest mentioned most treated sood has arsonic in it, not something you want to breath or eat out of. It is made to kill things. But the pieces look great.

Robert foster
03-11-2008, 4:53 PM
Thanks guys for the comments and advice. I probably won't turn treated wood again. I was aware that treated wood originally contained arsenic but that the newer stuff didn't. I know that it is not good to breathe any wood dust. I am looking for a good solution to handle the dust that you get with lathe work. I have a SC 1 1/2 Hp DC and two vacs. How do you deal with the dust??
Bob

Allen Neighbors
03-11-2008, 9:37 PM
Nice turnings, Robert... especially for your first!
I built an air cleaner, that is suspended directly over my lathe. I used an old squirrel cage blower from an A/C system. Built a box around it, built tracks to hold four A/C filters. It pulls air through four filters... just circulating the air in my shop. It does a very good job at keeping the air clean.
Plus, I keep an exhaust fan blowing out the window, and a floor fan blowing across my shoulder towards the window. It's worked well so far.