PDA

View Full Version : "Scrap" Finale - FINALLY!!

Dale Thompson
03-17-2004, 9:45 PM
Hi Folks,

I FINALLY delivered the "scrap" thing to my daughter down in the southern part of the state. This will be a two-part post because I have too many pictures. Actually, NONE would probably be MORE than necessary. :o

Disclaimer: Do NOT look at the pictures of my daughter. She had had a LONG day and there were a few tears involved. BIG DEAL!! I was crying too. She was glad to GET the "scrap" and I was SOOOOO glad to get RID of it!! Anyway, for what it’s worth:

The first picture should be the “Scrapbooking Cabinet” that I started a while back and posted some interim “mistakes”. Now is the time where I have to post the rest of my “mistakes”. As you will see, the top is for shelves and the bottom is for drawers. The middle unit is a pull-out desktop. Don’t ask me about the logic of having a pull-out desk in the middle of the cabinet with no knee room. You NEVER question the logic of a red-headed “scrap-booker” who also happens to be your daughter. I’m not a big fan of asking stupid questions that can only end up with me walking with a white cane. :eek: :cool:

Also, I see no need for the upper doors. Her excuse was, “But, DAD! – my shelves are always so messy that I NEED doors to cover them up.!! What can I say? I’m on a fixed income and can’t afford a seeing-eye dog, two hearing aids, a nose job and a bridge to replace my hardwood molars. :(

That brings us to the next picture(#2). This shows only the doors and drawers open. The only thing I can say here is that she didn’t pull out the desktop. THAT would have been too much for her ego to bear!! You will note that she hasn’t had the time yet to mess up the shelves. However, they are ALREADY out of alignment!! :rolleyes:

Picture #3 actually has a person in it. The shriveled up red-head is my crabby old grandma. Believe it or not, even at her advanced age, she is still able to maintain the original homestead. What a gal, eh?? :D

I can see it in her eyes. She just can’t WAIT to get out her crayons and write all over the cabinet.

If it looks like she’s had a bad hair day, forget it. It is due to the family brawls that we had over the PRICE of this thing. I DEMANDED full MSRP and she wanted a ridiculously high 2% discount. After a number of bloodied noses, black eyes, swallowed teeth, etc., we came to an armed truce. She agreed to pay FULL price (which, of course, was NOTHING) and I agreed to throw in a free matching paper rack (that is pictured in the second post).

Being the nice guy that I am, I don’t want to be mean. On the other hand, however, these kids have to learn the true meaning of capitalism. I intend to make the BIG bucks on my stuff!! If my “victims” ( umm – I mean clients) have to suffer financially, that’s THEIR problem. Little does she know that the paper rack was a “no-brainer” – just what I need. Anyway, what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her. She’s young. She’ll get over it! I don’t want to rub it in but did she get ripped off or what?? Too bad!! I’m still paying on her Gerber’s bill from when she was a baby! ;)

I call it, “Tough Love”. You may have another word for it!! ;)

I like to use full-extension slides because I always lose stuff when they are in the back of half-open drawer. For a “Scrapbooker”, they work well because of all the small stuff that is used in the hobby. They use a lot of stamps, stampings, strings, molds, stencils, etc. She was right on that one. It’s about time she had a logical reason for SOMETHING!!

The accent lights shown in Picture #4 are totally useless and have no utilitarian purpose. On the other hand, I saw them at my local “Toy Store” and thought that they were “cute”. You tap that little black button in the upper right hand corner and SHAZAM – four levels of light –including “off”.

Lastly, I don’t have any comment on Picture #5. It’s worth more than any thanks or money that I could get!! Don’t worry about the red nose and the red eyes. Our family is mean but emotional. My little red-head was worth every second of the whole process.

I’m sure that her first-born, Josiah, will read the plaque someday and remember his grandpa!

Thanks for looking!!

Dale T.

Part 2 is in progress.

Dale Thompson
03-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Hi Folks, (sorry for all the boredom)

The pictures that I promised are attached.

While this project was FUN! I have one final thought. In MY humble opinion, this is NOT the ideal project for a relatively small home shop like mine. You will note from one of the following pictures that my living room was called into service for storage of some of the many pieces involved. However, that’s really not the biggest problem. When I use the term “small home shop”, I am referring to the capacity of the machines as well as the physical “size” of the shop. I’ve got some GREAT tools. On the other hand, neither shop size nor fence to blade capacity were really adequate for many of the cuts required. Quite a few of these cuts were done on some rather makeshift setups. When you are dovetailing a bunch of drawers, you need very precise lengths. How do you dovetail a 16” file drawer when your jig has a maximum capacity of 12”? Due to the tight tolerance requirements on full-extension slides, you need very accurate cross cuts. The width of the cabinet is a whisper over 38”. My PM 66 has a 32” table extension that gives accurate cuts up to about 30”. I know – it can all be done- and WAS done. That still doesn’t count how many times I either tripped over or banged my head on pipe and/or other clamps while trying to operate in a confined space. It’s a #$$@#%^$#@#$%$#@ good thing that I don’t use profanity. Whatever, I don’t know of any profanity that would be truly congruent with the situation. I need a speech with some of the wit of Winston Churchill. Good Luck!! ;) :) :)

Once again - THANKS FOR LOOKING!!
Dale T.

Dick Parr
03-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Very Very Nice Dale! She can't say she doesn't have any room now.

Walt Pater
03-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Dale: Superb. Excellent work.
Walt

Tyler Howell
03-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Beautiful, Great Lines, Wonderful finish. Scrap thingy is pretty nice too.:D
Dale She must have gotten all your good looks cause her mom still has hers:p.
Too nice for words.
Along with stand-up comedian you are quite the craftsman!

Kent Cori
03-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Outstanding design and execution Dale. My wife is also a scrapbooker and there is no way I'm going to let her see these photos. :p

John Miliunas
03-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Dale, my fine fellow Cheesehead, you went and out-did yourself! Those pieces are just flat-out excellent! :D I know we're in the same state, but I shore do wish you lived a bit closer...I could use a whole lot of learnin' from you! I'm still trying to figure out how you got a 38" (ok, a whisper over that) cut on a 33" table! :rolleyes: You also managed to find some wonderful looking Oak, as well. The last stuff I got around here had a bunch of wormholes in it, although I will admit, also carried some nice rays with it. At any rate, beautiful design and the execution of that design speaks for itself. Yeah, I'd say your daughter is one happy camper! I'll bet you were pretty happy to have that behind you, as well, 'cuz the main unit looks like it would probably weight a ton, even with the drawers out of it. Sure hope they have a sturdy floor! Again, well done, Dale! :cool:

Keith Outten
03-18-2004, 4:31 AM
WOW! Look at the smile on the young ladies face. I'd say you were paid in full Dale.

Beautiful job, thanks for the pictures and the story.

Rick Lasita
03-18-2004, 5:48 AM
Dale, you can "bore us" anytime with your work :D Most excellent results. I showed my wife the earlier post and she said our "scrapper" daughter in Cincinnati would love one of those. Guess what, she ain't gonna' see the final project ! Outstanding. Rick

Aaron Montgomery
03-18-2004, 8:15 AM
Really nice results. Looks like you do just fine in your "small" shop.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim Becker
03-18-2004, 8:33 AM
I'll echo the others..."OUTSTANDING"!! Your daughter is very lucky...

Dave Richards
03-18-2004, 8:54 AM
Dale, would you make some scrap like that for me? That looks great. And your daughter does indeed look happy. Good job, man.

Oh, and would you just keep boring us with more of your scrap and junk, pleeeeease? :D

Bruce Page
03-18-2004, 9:32 AM
Dale, I think you are going to have to change your sign off line! :p Very, very nice work and the “customer” seems pleased too!

Life is hard; after all, it kills you. — Katherine Hepburn

Mark Rios
03-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Really nice Dale!!! Your craftsmanship sure gives me something to aspire to. Great job!!!

Frank Pellow
03-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Dale, I am in awe of your work! It is something that I hope that I can aspire to once I get my own small woodworking shop into operation.

However, I am not going to show your pictures to my wife and daughters becuase it will probably raise their expectations too high. Maybe in 5 years ...

Chris Padilla
03-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Dale,

How many different axes did you use to split that wood so purty and so perfect?? :D

Dan Stuewe
03-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Dale,

It all looks great and gives me ideas for what my wife will someday want. One question though, that paper tower looks awful small for having a big heavy TV on top. Is it fastened to the wall? or is that just a temporary setup.

Eric Sanford
03-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Dale, it turned out beautifully! Well done. LOML is also a big scrapper and I'm going to show her the photos.... it would be fun to build her something like that because I know she'd love it. Congrats

Eric

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Dale
That is sum (the total of all our accolades) beautiful work.
I kept one eye closed or looked around your daughter as I perused the photos.
That cabinet is really well designed and executed. I also like the paper supply bin.
Daniel :D

Dale Thompson
03-18-2004, 8:59 PM
Dale,

It all looks great and gives me ideas for what my wife will someday want. One question though, that paper tower looks awful small for having a big heavy TV on top. Is it fastened to the wall? or is that just a temporary setup.

Dan,
Neither unit is fastened to the wall. I suggested that but - well, red-heads will be red-heads. I think that the LOHL has a BIG insurance policy on her. ;)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
03-18-2004, 9:11 PM
Dale,

How many different axes did you use to split that wood so purty and so perfect?? :D

Chris,
I hope Jason, or SOMEBODY, deletes your post. My shop is comprised of one splitting wedge and a 12# sledge hammer. I had to do a lot of profile grinding on the wedge. You're the FIRST one who noticed. Some people just CAN'T let an old guy have any fun. Hey Webmaster, I need your help!! ;) ;) Thanks Chris. You give me WAY too much credit.

Dale T. :) :)

Dale Thompson
03-18-2004, 9:16 PM
WOW! Look at the smile on the young ladies face. I'd say you were paid in full Dale.

Beautiful job, thanks for the pictures and the story.

Keith,
Thanks! I have been thanked many times over for many years.

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
03-18-2004, 9:25 PM
Beautiful, Great Lines, Wonderful finish. Scrap thingy is pretty nice too.:D
Dale She must have gotten all your good looks cause her mom still has hers:p.
Too nice for words.
Along with stand-up comedian you are quite the craftsman!

Tyler,

Thanks, guy. Fortunately for me, being ugly ain't no crime. :o :eek: On the other hand, I'm SO ugly that it SHOULD be a crime. :cool: Thanks for your comments. :D

Dale T.

Rob Littleton
03-18-2004, 9:41 PM
Tyler,

Thanks, guy. Fortunately for me, being ugly ain't no crime. :o :eek: On the other hand, I'm SO ugly that it SHOULD be a crime. :cool: Thanks for your comments. :D

Dale T.

Hey Dale, I hear the peeping toms came round and boarded up the windows ......... heheheheh

That thing is BEAUTIFUL............

SCHWEEEEEEEEt

Dale Thompson
03-18-2004, 9:54 PM
Dale, my fine fellow Cheesehead, you went and out-did yourself! Those pieces are just flat-out excellent! :D I know we're in the same state, but I shore do wish you lived a bit closer...I could use a whole lot of learnin' from you! I'm still trying to figure out how you got a 38" (ok, a whisper over that) cut on a 33" table! :rolleyes: You also managed to find some wonderful looking Oak, as well. The last stuff I got around here had a bunch of wormholes in it, although I will admit, also carried some nice rays with it. At any rate, beautiful design and the execution of that design speaks for itself. Yeah, I'd say your daughter is one happy camper! I'll bet you were pretty happy to have that behind you, as well, 'cuz the main unit looks like it would probably weight a ton, even with the drawers out of it. Sure hope they have a sturdy floor! Again, well done, Dale! :cool:

Hey Spring,
I've seen your work. The only things that you, or anyone else, could learn from me are how to skip school in the Spring to go swimming and in the Winter to go "sled riding". Making "scrap" is my specialty but I keep that as a closely held secret! :o :o ;)

By the way, your picture keeps coming up everywhere I go. The "Support" Forum, the "General" Forum, my post office, etc. I'll say one thing from the post office picture. You certainly are worth a LOT more than I am. Congratulations!! ;) ;) :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
03-18-2004, 10:42 PM
By the way, your picture keeps coming up everywhere I go. The "Support" Forum, the "General" Forum, my post office, etc. I'll say one thing from the post office picture. You certainly are worth a LOT more than I am. Congratulations!! ;) ;) :)

Dale T.

Yeah. Right. That's only 'cuz you're smarter than me and don't get caught! :rolleyes:

And you talk about "scrap"; Just wait, my friend. I'm heading over to the Big Box after work tomorrow to start picking up material for the bathroom cabinets. You know how guys usually figure 10% "extra" material for their jobs? Hrrrrmph...I *have* to go, at least, 50% or the suckers never get done! By the time I'm done with the bathroom and kitchen projects, I'm gonna' have me a big enough bonfire of scrap for you to see in Peshtigo! :cool:

Dale Thompson
03-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Yeah. Right. That's only 'cuz you're smarter than me and don't get caught! :rolleyes:

And you talk about "scrap"; Just wait, my friend. I'm heading over to the Big Box after work tomorrow to start picking up material for the bathroom cabinets. You know how guys usually figure 10% "extra" material for their jobs? Hrrrrmph...I *have* to go, at least, 50% or the suckers never get done! By the time I'm done with the bathroom and kitchen projects, I'm gonna' have me a big enough bonfire of scrap for you to see in Peshtigo! :cool:

Spring,
MY scrap fires in Peshtigo have lit up Spring Green for YEARS - what's the big deal?? :o :( :)

Dale T.

John Miliunas
03-18-2004, 11:21 PM
Spring,
MY scrap fires in Peshtigo have lit up Spring Green for YEARS - what's the big deal?? :o :( :)

Dale T.

Hmmmm...And all this time I thought it was landing lights from the airport! Hey, wait a minute; Now that I think about it, Spring Green doesn't HAVE an airport! OK, you win! :D (Still, I wish my cabs come out half as nice as your scrapbook cabinet and shelving unit!) :cool:

Dale Thompson
03-19-2004, 9:44 PM
You folks have inflated my ego so much that I think I will push Bush and Kerry aside and run for - umm - what is is - Mayor of the United States. I'm going to run as a member of the Woodworker's Party (OK - quit laughing - there ain't no Scrapmaker's Party). My extensive foreign policy experience encompasses everything within a 30 mile radius of Peshtigo, WI. My domestic policy background is also admirable. It is limited only by the walls of my bathroom when the door is closed. ;)

I'll need your help, though. OUR party has only ONE delegate and, as stupid as I am, I am still smart enough to NEVER vote for me. :eek: :eek:

Seriously, though, thanks again for your many kind comments. Sometimes we never pause to think of who and where are REAL friends are. SMC seems like a very good place to start looking.

Dale T. :) :)