PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Florida?

Kyle Costlow
03-10-2008, 4:46 PM
I'm in Florida(St. Petersburg area) with my girlfriend and her family for the week. Looking for suggestions on fun/interesting things to do.

Fred Voorhees
03-10-2008, 5:07 PM
Depends upon where you are. The handful of years that my Brother and a few others went to the Daytona 500 with me, we always went to Epcot. I loved that place. It's not as much for kids as it is for somewhat older people, but I found it absolutely amazing with all of the technology. If you go, make sure you leave enough time to visit the back portion also with all of the different nations represented. For kids, Disneyland or World....whatever it is. We went there also, but I preferred Epcot by far. NOW.....if I were down there, I'd be hunting me down some different race tracks. I've been to a number of them down there including East Bay, Volusia, Sunshine Speedway and New Smyrna and of course, the big grandaddy.:rolleyes:

Pat Germain
03-10-2008, 5:17 PM
It's kind of a long haul from St. Petersburg to Orlando. But, if you're willing to make the drive, of course you'll never run out of things to do there.

I second Epcot. Just try to get there when the park opens if you want to catch any popular rides. Spring Break is heating up and things are crowded. There's also the "Illuminations" show at 9:00. You have to get a good viewing spot near the lagon at least an hour ahead of time. It's amazing!

If you can get to Orlando, but don't want to pony up over $60 a person to get into a theme park, visit Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island. The area is being revamped, but there are still some very nice restaurants and night clubs there.

My favorite club at Pleasure Island is The Adventurer's Club. It's a Disney club and it's kinda strange and quirky, but the decor and the staff are beyond belief. They put on small shows in different rooms with minor special effects. Then there's a large show in a theater where the cast perform musical numbers, tell "G" and "PG" rated jokes and interact with the audience. It's way cool and there's no other place like it! It's likely your sweetheart and her family would really enjoy an evening at The Adventurer's Club. The admission fee is very reasonable; $10 or less, as I recall.

I'm pretty familiar with the Walt Disney WOrld area so let me know if you're interested in that. As for St. Petersburg, I've been to Tampa once, but didn't find much to do other than watch people roll cigars.

Pete Simmons
03-10-2008, 5:21 PM
Busch Gardens Tampa

And watch for the shuttle in a couple of nights 2:30 in the morning.

You might see something from that far.

I know in Orlando with good weather it is visible.

Kyle Costlow
03-10-2008, 5:43 PM
Anything within a 40-50 mile radius, we plan on sticking fairly close to the campground. Thanks for all the suggestions.

James Rambo
03-10-2008, 8:14 PM
Try this site for a litle of the beaten trail type stuff.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/map/fl.html

Dave Verstraete
03-10-2008, 8:31 PM
Hire a guide and go bass fishing. There are some awesome lakes around there. Oh Oh. I let out that other side of me...The Dark Side that likes to fish

Lee Koepke
03-10-2008, 8:37 PM
I'm in Florida(St. Petersburg area) with my girlfriend and her family for the week. Looking for suggestions on fun/interesting things to do.
depends on what you like .. nightime entertainment in Ybor city.

and spring training is starting soon i think ( not a baseball fan ... )

in st pete / clearwater area i like the beaches. i have a friend in clearwater, so if it was me, I would be out on the water !!! :D

Matt Meiser
03-10-2008, 8:45 PM
If you are going to be down there during the shuttle launch, I highly, highly, highly recommend getting as close as you can. Its an awesome sight in the true sense of the word. I've seen one from 6 miles-ish or however close it is they get you at the military base south of the launch pads, and I've see one from Orlando. Both were something I wouldn't miss, but the one close was incredible. Pre-9/11 the tours were great too, but when we went last year, we didn't get to see much, but then again the shuttle was sitting on the launch pad for a launch the following night so that might be part of the deal there. The first time was the morning after the launch.

I liked Busch Gardens too--it had pretty good rides but there wasn't a ton of walking and waiting in line when we were there. We stayed a week in Ft. Myers in 2000 and that was too long for us there as we ran out of stuff to do and it was too cold to go to the beach. We just spent 1 night in Tampa, or maybe it was 2, but mostly just to go to Busch Gardens so we didn't explore much around there.

Russ Filtz
03-11-2008, 6:22 AM
Disney, etc. is only about 1-1.5 hrs from Tampa St. Pete. Easy cruise down I-4. It's on the west side of Orlando, so closer to Tampa. Worth seeing if you've never been. Otherwise I vote for Busch Gardens.

John Shuk
03-11-2008, 8:33 PM
Scuba dive, fish, snorkel, watch my boys catch lizards, smoke cigars, and drink Gin and Tonic.
Thats what I usually do anyway.

Gary Herrmann
03-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Be warm. Enjoy the sun. Swim. Take your girlfriend for a long walk on the beach. Repeat often.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-12-2008, 8:09 AM
The girls, the girls, the girls. Florida is lousy with girls with slender waists and long hair.

St Pete is not too far from Silver Springs. The area is fabulous canoing. Crystal clear water you have visibility like no where else in the world.

The girls, the girls, the girls. Florida is lousy with girls with slender waists and long hair.

Study for your pilot's license.

The glades around Ockachobe are fun and challenging. Take chigger repellent~!!
Same with the swamp (everglades) SW of Miami. Really fun and challenging.

There's tons of Bass and other fish everywhere in the state. Don't take a Snook unless you are very familiar with the laws on 'em.

There's alligator, deer, boar, and bird hunting.

There's Datona and Sebring if you like racing.

I believe the state is surrounded on 3 sides by warm ocean.

Did I mention the girls?

Scott Long
03-12-2008, 9:29 AM
Go watch some Pro Baseball Games for Cheap. My Brother just returned from srping training in Florida this past week with his college. He always has a great time, and he meets alot of pros. This is the best time to autographs and be able to talk to the players.

Greg Cole
03-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I'd be hunting me down some different race tracks. I've been to a number of them down there including East Bay, Volusia, Sunshine Speedway and New Smyrna and of course, the big grandaddy.:rolleyes:

Fred,
I'm with you. I went to FLA this Feb, stayed in New Smyrna and went to the 500. The New Smyrna track was JAMMED Friday night before the big daddy (only reason I went along ;), last year I sent the wife n kids and I stayed home for SHOP TIME)....
Kyle,
I'd suggest doing as little as possible to support the tourist theme places if you have been to any of them once. Really, once is enough unless ya like to spend $ or you have youn'uns in tow.

Greg

Dave Verstraete
03-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Kyle
Don't take Cliff seriously! If you look at too many girls, you might have a long walk home to IN. Just kidding.....looking is free!

Kyle Costlow
03-12-2008, 7:08 PM
Haha, I'll be careful:rolleyes:

Doug Shepard
03-12-2008, 8:17 PM
Things to do in Florida?
Defrosting?

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-12-2008, 8:51 PM
Kyle
Don't take Cliff seriously! If you look at too many girls, you might have a long walk home to IN. Just kidding.....looking is free!

Well, there's looking and gawking.

But when you are on a beach and they are EVERYWHERE
Ya don't even have to turn your head.

Earl Kelly
03-13-2008, 7:43 AM
Did anyone mention Florida Craftsmen? If not take in there Gallery Store. It's right there in St Pete.

http://www.floridacraftsmen.net/store/store.html

Earl

Jason Christenson
03-13-2008, 9:54 AM
The good news is, there should be plenty of toilet paper! (http://cbs4.com/local/legislature.toilet.paper.2.675445.html)

Jason

Art Mulder
03-13-2008, 10:48 AM
If you are going to be down there during the shuttle launch, I highly, highly, highly recommend getting as close as you can. Its an awesome sight in the true sense of the word. I've seen one from 6 miles-ish or however close it is they get you at the military base south of the launch pads, and I've see one from Orlando. Both were something I wouldn't miss, but the one close was incredible. Pre-9/11 the tours were great too, but when we went last year, we didn't get to see much, but then again the shuttle was sitting on the launch pad for a launch the following night so that might be part of the deal there. The first time was the morning after the launch.

I highly, highly, recommend visiting Kennedy as well. The tickets are cheaper than Disney, and they let you come back a second day on the same ticket! (need to get it validated by the security guard as you leave on day 1.)

I'm not sure what Matt is referring to. I went to Kennedy in March 1997, and again in Dec 2007, and IMHO the tour is even better now. There are even more things to do there now. We spent 1 and 1/2 days there, which is what it took for us to see everything. Also, the shuttle was on the launchpad the day we visited also, and the tours were running just fine. We were there on Dec 5 and Dec 6 -- Dec 6 was when Atlantis was supposed to get launched, but that mission was scrubbed and didn't get off until February. Our kids were a bit disappointed!

Enjoy the state!
...art

Doyle Alley
03-13-2008, 2:45 PM
Go over to the Florida Aquarium. It's a great 1/2 day trip. The Yankees are doing spring training now so you could catch a pre-season game. The beach at Ft. Desoto park is pretty nice. Lots of eye candy and some good fishing too.

If you want to do some serious inshore fishing, I know a few guides that work the area.