PDA

View Full Version : Fast cutting of magnets...?

Peter Boyford
03-10-2008, 3:11 PM
I need to produce a rather big batch of fridge magnets for a customer. I have not yet tried to cut magnetic sheets, and fear that it will

1. smell like hell
2. have the same runlength as a short war

to cut this many pcs.

Also I am a bit uncertain how I can get print on the magnets. Usually I would print on vinyl with ecosolvent print, but vinys contains PVC.

My other thought was laser printing on polyester - but I can only do this on A4 sheets.

Any thoughts?

Best regards
Peter

Joe Pelonio
03-10-2008, 3:46 PM
The magnetic sheet/rolls sold for printing or vinyl lettering are covered with vinyl, so you are cutting through PVC unless you can find it in the natural magnetic color (same black color both sides). Lasermag sold by Rowmark doesn't come in white but it will cut nicely. I suppose you could screenprint on the silver.

The best way is to have a local sign shop print the images onto polyester based adhesive film, then apply it to the magnetic sheet and cut. I have done it and there is some smell but not that bad, and the thinner stuff cuts nicely. The thicker magnetic that I use for car signs will char and have messy edges.

David H. Mitchell
03-10-2008, 4:47 PM
Peter,
What thickness magnets are you using. We use the .020" for refrigator magnets. We print and cut them on our Roland Versacam.

Dave

Tony Williams
03-18-2008, 9:06 PM
where do you purchase this material to print and cut on a roland

Joe Pelonio
03-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Any sign supply has magnetic in various thicknesses. I too have cut it on my Graphtec plotter. Really just score it about 3/4 thru and then it breaks right off cleanly.