PDA

View Full Version : Shop almost "done"

Matt Meiser
03-17-2004, 9:01 PM
I'm getting very close to being "done" with my shop, meaning that I'll actually be able to do some real woodworking. As you may remember, this is in the front 32' of a 30x48' pole barn that was completely bare when we moved in to our new house at Christmas.

The Hot Dawg-style heater is working great and I am very pleased with my decision to go with good lighting. My only regret at this point is that I couldn't paint the floor (no one would do it during the winter.) I'll probably never do it because of the work that would be involved in moving everything out.

The first four pictures are taken from each corner.

Matt Meiser
03-17-2004, 9:04 PM
Next, some closeups of some of the dust collection system. Finishing this is one of the main tasks left. I need to put screws in many of the joints and caulk all the joints. The room in the first picture will be an office. I also need to finish the inside--right now it is bare and the electrical is roughed in. The previous owner built the room to use for storage. I added the window for some light.

Matt Meiser
03-17-2004, 9:10 PM
I installed piping for compressed air. There is one drop by the compressor at the front of the building, and one at the back. This one will also feed the retractable hose over my bench (the air line is another project to complete.) The main trunk line is 3/4" copper, sloped to a moisture trap at the end of the line.

Matt Meiser
03-17-2004, 9:14 PM
My supply storage area and future finish mixing area. The large metal cabinet mostly holds finishing and gluing supplies.

Larry Browning
03-17-2004, 9:27 PM
All that since christmas, man, We just got the tree down last week! Lookin good!!!!

Tyler Howell
03-17-2004, 9:29 PM
Matt,

Great transformation, Great work space. I'm sure it will bring you many years of pleasure.

Jim Becker
03-17-2004, 9:34 PM
That shop's looking great, Matt. You've done a lot of work in a short period of time. Congratulations. (I'm envious of the air piping...I need to do that "next" in my shop)

John Miliunas
03-17-2004, 9:41 PM
Awesome space, Matt! Nice and bright, too. Heck, you even have room for more toyls! Thanks for the update! :cool:

Dick Parr
03-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Nice shop Matt!

Kent Cori
03-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Wow!! Terrific job Matt.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-17-2004, 11:36 PM
Nice work Matt!! I like the piping idea. You made a nice set of blast gates, too!

Bob Marino
03-18-2004, 8:00 AM
Great job and very bright. I wouldn't be too concerned about the floor. Is that a 2 hp Oneida?

Bob

Aaron Montgomery
03-18-2004, 8:10 AM
Looks like a really great space! You've done a lot of work since Christmas. (We are a talking about Christmas 2003? - :D )

Keep us posted with updates as you continue to make changes.

Matt Meiser
03-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Great job and very bright. I wouldn't be too concerned about the floor. Is that a 2 hp Oneida?

Bob

Its an Oneida C650 cyclone with a Jet DC1200 2HP blower.

Chris Padilla
03-18-2004, 10:50 AM
very jealous here! :) Good looking space and it appears you are using it very wisely!

I read on another site that one should consider using french cleats on one's cabinets and to never permanently bolt everything to the wall. This guy said he's gone through 4 or 5 "remodels" as his tool and ww'ing direction changed over time. Using french cleats made it easy to adjust things fairly quickly.

Tyler Howell
03-18-2004, 10:55 AM
very jealous here! :) Good looking space and it appears you are using it very wisely!

I read on another site that one should consider using french cleats on one's cabinets and to never permanently bolt everything to the wall. This guy said he's gone through 4 or 5 "remodels" as his tool and ww'ing direction changed over time. Using french cleats made it easy to adjust things fairly quickly.

I just started using French cleats in the shop and it already has made a difference.;)