PDA

View Full Version : Blast Gate Placement

William Harrison
03-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of installing my ductwork for a ClearVue. My question pertains to the placement of the blast gates. Should the blast gates be placed directly after the wyre or doest it matter if its down the line by the tool?

thanks for any input.

bill

glenn bradley
03-10-2008, 2:45 PM
I place mine so that when they are closed, they remove as much unnecessary duct from the build as possible. This means I will walk 10 feet to get to a Wye and close the gate rather than (for convenience) have the gate "handy" and leave 10 - 15 feet of unused dust active when it isn't needed. But that's just me.

Joe Chritz
03-10-2008, 6:05 PM
No clue, but convenience is convenient.

Mine are all in an ease to reach location. I am making a SWAG here but I doubt it makes much difference.

Joe

Robert Payne
03-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Your best bet is to have them close to the tool they serve -- Ed Morgano recommends that their blast gates be oriented horizontally to avoid any internal dust build-up, but I do not think it is critical. The key place for a straight run of pipe is the last several feet before the duct enters the CV inlet port.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-10-2008, 11:42 PM
I paid to have Oneida design my system. Their design called for the blast gates to be at the bottom of the downdrops just before changing over to flex hose.

Chris Padilla
03-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Within easy reach.

John Keeton
03-11-2008, 8:53 PM
In my installation I am planning at this point on bringing my 6" ducting to each tool and make a drop to about 6', put a blast gate, reduce to 4", and flex to the dust port of the machines. I am fairly short and 6' will be a convenient height and will still keep me reasonable on the length of my flex drops, although a couple of them are longer than I would like. But, I don't want the metal duct to be lower in case I need to disconnect the flex to move a machine or project around the shop.

glenn bradley
03-11-2008, 9:30 PM
I paid to have Oneida design my system. Their design called for the blast gates to be at the bottom of the downdrops just before changing over to flex hose.

Ken's build sounds a lot like my dad's. I'd sure defer to Oneida's best practices before I'd trust my own best guess ;-)

Jim O'Dell
03-11-2008, 9:52 PM
Some of mine are high, others low. I don't think it matters. One thing that I would think would happen, is if the gate is low, and the gate is closed while there is still some dust in the pipe, that dust will settle down on the blast gate. Not that that would hurt anything. Just that much more to watch going round and down the Clear Vue when you open the gate back up!!:D Jim.

Leo Graywacz
03-11-2008, 9:59 PM

I tried to do that for most of my drops. I have 4 drops set up this way. They are wall drops for my 3 shapers and a edge sander. My jointer, planer and tablesaw needed different strategies. These tools are more mobile. So I had the drops using 5" flex on the vertical, and the gates are right on the hoods of the machines. This allows the machines to be moved around a good amount to adjust for different sized materials. SO far so good. My setup isn't complete yet, still waiting for a few things to come by UPS. Thursday should be the last delivery from Oneida.

What size cyclone did you get Ken? I assume below a 3HP because you said you paid for the service. I just gave them a few CAD drawings I made and they submitted them to their engineers. They gave me a yea or nay answer if it would work. My first design was to far from my planer. Their idea was much closer but very inconvenient placement wise. I moved the placement by 10' and got the engineers approval. I had to move a few (what I thought were permanent) tools to make it happen. So be it.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Leo,

I submitted a drawing of my shop with the location of my tools. Oneida designed it and recommended a 2 HP Super Dust Gorilla would do it. Due to a lack of 2 hp motors they asked if I'd like upgrade to a 2.5 hp. I said yes. When the system arrived....the motor and impellar weighted 105 lbs. Inside the box was a note. Due to a shortage of Baldor motors, my system had been upgraded to a 3 HP at no additional charge to me. I have a 3 HP. I'm a lucky man!

Leo Graywacz
03-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Indeed lucky. Do you still have the 21" cyclone diameter or did they upgrade the whole package?

I've got the 2.5HP package, so far I am pleased with it. I've only had it for a few days and my filter hasn't arrived yet (Thursday). Got any pics? These are in the middle of my install. Now I have all but one of my drops to my machines done and all joints are duct taped. Oh ya, got the logos on the cyclone too. Can't forget those.:D

http://fototime.com/0B1717B81021C45/orig.jpg

http://fototime.com/D5001FF15D20C30/orig.jpg

http://fototime.com/654F8A642D3DB55/orig.jpg

http://fototime.com/EDC7C284F46F0A9/orig.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
03-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Leo....I don't want to steal Bill's thread. If you search my profile and select all started threads. 2 weeks ago I had a thread titled finally some DC progress IIRC.