PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Woodcraft Chuck Quality

Brian J. Williams
03-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I usually post to the Neanderthal side, but this question seems more appropriate here. I have an old Craftsman lathe, and have been thinking about buying a Woodcraft chuck (the $89.00 version, 3/4-16 threads) to give me a little more project flexibility. Does anyone out there have any experience with these chucks, good or bad?

Thanks,

Brian

Rick Huelsbeck
03-10-2008, 11:22 AM
I usually post to the Neanderthal side, but this question seems more appropriate here. I have an old Craftsman lathe, and have been thinking about buying a Woodcraft chuck (the $89.00 version, 3/4-16 threads) to give me a little more project flexibility. Does anyone out there have any experience with these chucks, good or bad?

Thanks,

Brian

I have one and you will get nothing but praise for it from me. I have bought the #3 and flaw jaws to go with it, and have had a 14" piece of wood spinning in it with no problem. Make sure to dovetail you tennon to get the best grip from it. A lot of people don't like that it takes 2 tommy bars to tighten it, but the spinner that you use to open and close the jaws is knurled and easy to grip so holding the piece in one hand and tightening with the other is not a big deal. I've often thought of buying another and probably would if I didn't already have a barracuda 2 as well. I hate having to change the jaws all the time.:D:D

Brian J. Williams
03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the information.

Brian

dennis kranz
03-10-2008, 10:34 PM
I have one also. I use the Jet Mini and it has done everthing I wanted to do.
Dennis

Dan Allemand
03-10-2008, 11:42 PM
I sent you a PM. Sorry about that.. Will become a contributor..