PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Grizzly Router Bit Sets?

Jeff Skory
03-17-2004, 7:35 PM
Hi All,

I need to buy a few router bits to get me going. The "starter" set I received for Christmas (at my request :rolleyes: ) contains mostly useless bits.

What I really think I need are a couple of roundover bits and a rabbeting set.

Grizzly has a nice 4-pc roundover set for $29.95 (1/8", 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2"), and a nice rabbeting system that includes 6 different bearings for $34.95.

Anyone have any experience with Grizzly router bits? (these are the purple ones).

Chris Padilla
03-17-2004, 7:46 PM
Jeff,

No experience but I think the purple ones are Grizzly's high-end router bits. I always tout CMT for router bits. A while back before I discovered CMT, I bought a large set from Grizzly that turned out to be crap. It wasn't a Grizzly brand...I just bought it from Grizzly.

For bits that you expect to see heavy use (like roundovers), you definately want to spend a few bucks and get quality. Do yourself a favor and pick up a variety of bearing sizes as well--comes in very handy.

Dick Parr
03-17-2004, 7:50 PM
Jeff, I have a number of their small sets and have no problem with them. Roundover, Dado, Plywood Dado and Dovetail.

Aaron Heck
03-17-2004, 9:42 PM
You also might want to check out MLCS and Woodline for other "less-money" brands. I have the 15-piece set from MLCS and have been happy with it. For around $2.50 a bit, they're actually pretty impressive. I actually just ordered my first set of Woodline bits. People seem to be pretty happy with them, too. I needed a raised panel and rail and stile bit, and Woodline was the only place that had the raised panel bit with a straight cutter and a bead on top (to match my existing cabinets). Anyway, they were super helpful on the phone. I'll know more about their quality soon.

Just a few more ideas for ya.......

Aaron