PDA

View Full Version : $800.00 router base price

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Yipper every one's favorite German Toolmaker (hate 'em or love 'em it's still the favorite) has got a new router that is going to sell for $800.00

It's kind of slick. It comes with a round chip shield that falls into place and flips away inside the router body for bit changes. It's got a rather fine depth adjustment, a cam lock system for the guides and depth-stop selector.

It's got accessories you can purchase like a guide for the flip off base plate (push a button and it pops off) under which you can insert a variety of bushing-type guides and other plates that serve various functions (the plates come in a big box).

Interesting. I don't know if it's worth the thousand dollars plus for the router and accessories.

But, it'll be interesting to watch the enthusiasm.
Woo Hoo.

glenn bradley
03-10-2008, 10:11 AM
They're happy to sell 'em to folks that'll buy 'em.

Dan Lee
03-10-2008, 10:43 AM
And the new trim router IIRC its a mere $700 with all the accessories :eek:

jason lambert
03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
To much $$$ I could buy 3 routers for the price of one festool router. Although the festool router is awesome. The $ exchange is killing us I have to woulder if festool will sell enought tools to stay in the states.

Dave Falkenstein
03-10-2008, 11:36 AM
For anyone interested, here's the Festool introduction site for the OF2200 router:

http://of2200.festoolusa.com/

and the MFK700 router:

http://mfk700.festoolusa.com/

These tools will be available in the USA on April 1 (correction - May 1). Please note there are videos on these sites, so they take a while to load. The music is a bit irritating, but that's what volume controls are for. :)

Greg Cole
03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
What Jason said about the $ exchange rate. I deal with many European currencies, and with the USD at an all time low versus the EUR. Either Festool is making a lot less $ today, or there is a big price hike in the pipe (rumors of one taking place in April IIRC).
I'd pass on a $1K router with all the tid bits, like with the Kapex I can see where the price is of "good value" to some but not me at that price.... but I've still got an itch to scratch with the Domino "one of these days".

Greg

Jack Briggs
03-11-2008, 7:12 AM
Jeez, my Fein RT1800 router was a little over $200. I definitely agree that the best will cost you, but c'mon! $800 routers; $550 orbital sanders!!??? If people are willing to pay it, more power to them. Not for me, though.

Dave Bureau
03-11-2008, 7:25 AM
I've got 7 routers. I cant imagine paying 800 each. come on festool, get real. any one wanna buy a bridge?

William Nimmo
03-11-2008, 7:37 AM
Why would I buy a bridge from you when I can build a beautiful one in less time and enjoy it more, all dustfree.
Thank you Festool.

Bob Marino
03-11-2008, 8:16 AM
For anyone interested, here's the Festool introduction site for the OF2200 router:

http://of2200.festoolusa.com/

and the MFK700 router:

http://mfk700.festoolusa.com/

These tools will be available in the USA on April 1. Please note there are videos on these sites, so they take a while to load. The music is a bit irritating, but that's what volume controls are for. :)

Dave,

Slight correction - the tools will be available for sale May 1.

Bob

Jim Becker
03-11-2008, 8:18 AM
Bob, can we assume that this new machine is Festool produced, rather than OEM like the previous OF2000? It appears to have all the recognizable Festool engineering...

Bill Huber
03-11-2008, 8:27 AM
That looks like a really great router, but for the price I think I could just hire someone to do all my routing for me.

I know Festool makes some really great tools but I just can not see how in the world then can justify the price they get for them.

I guess it is no different then cars, I can buy a little Chevy and drive to work and get there at the same time that guy in the BMW does but then he has a BMW.

Bob Marino
03-11-2008, 8:53 AM
Bob, can we assume that this new machine is Festool produced, rather than OEM like the previous OF2000? It appears to have all the recognizable Festool engineering...

Jim,

Yes, completely.
Funny in a way, Mafell manufactured the OF 2000 to Festool's specs and Festool manufactured a small router (based on Festool's 1010 router) for Mafell.

Bob

Dave Falkenstein
03-11-2008, 8:55 AM
Dave,

Slight correction - the tools will be available for sale May 1.

Bob

Oops - thanks, Bob. Corrected posting.

mark page
03-11-2008, 9:39 AM
Even though I have an itch, so far I can scratch it and it goes away! An $800.00 router? Well that's a lot of B's (Beer, beef, & briquets):confused:

Wes Bischel
03-11-2008, 10:05 AM
for the price I think I could just hire someone to do all my routing for me.:D:D:D I got a good chuckle out of that one Bill - a new take on "value"!:D:D

Dave, thanks for posting the links. The videos were very informative. They really have done a lot to improve the dust collection - the double sleeve is cool. Interesting that they are using what looks like old time phenolic for the bases. Good strength/wear to weight I guess.

Anyway, I doubt there will be a new Festool in my future, but it is neat to see what's new.

Wes