PDA

View Full Version : Forum bashing

steve banks
03-07-2003, 2:50 PM
What's up with dredging up from the defunct Pond and slinging the mud all over people at other woodworking forums? Come on Gals and Guys, everybody has their on little niche in the cyber world of woodworking. I personally was a die hard Pond fan and rarely surfed other sites because I liked the format, the people,and the comradery at the Pond. I now spend time here,at Wood Central, and sometime at The Oak. Currently there is a thread on The Oak that strongly lambasts what the Pond stood for and some of the people that were regulars there who have setup "house" at other woodworking forums. I personally liked the Pond best because of being easy navigate and cosiness of the folks who waded there. There is no sense in bashing others for their choices in where to go because us ex Ponders need somewhere to "light". I know for a fact Wayne wouldn't put up with these pointed snide remarks. Censorship is not the issue here, but the lack of good old fashion respect and thoughtfulness. Some of these folks who were targeted at The Oak for being too involved at other forums have in my opinion enhanced and improved things because of their dedication and unselfish contibution of time, knowledge, and resources. As I was told a child If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all.

Phil Phelps
03-07-2003, 3:33 PM
What's the big deal? You have your opinion and I have mine. I respect this forum enough to keep my thoughts to myself. If I wanted to "bash" the Pond and, I could find an audience, I'd go on a forum and rant and say what I thought. I read several diatribes on the Oak when the Pond was on the lamb. I found it to be a small number doing so. A lot of us Ponders didn't like everything that Wayne did, and sometimes voiced our distaste for such. But, I feel there was never any malicious intent. I really don't care what they think, as long as here on the Mill they behave. Personally, I love opinionated people, right or wrong. I know who I'm dealin' with. So, relax Steve, you're among friends, here.;)

Bart Goldberg
03-07-2003, 3:40 PM
Your post got my interest so I went over to see what the Oak forum folks had to say. Personally, I never found the Oak to my liking. After reading the personal attacks they have posted against ex-ponders and of Wayne, I find their forum severely lacking in the kind of respect and consideration that I highly value. I hope to never see that kind of rant here on SMC.

Jim Izat
03-07-2003, 3:45 PM
I hate to say it but this thread is heading in a direction that'll make look just like the thread on the oak. This constant, purposeless rehashing won't stop until folks just let the topic go. I can't see what purpose bringing it up serves anyway. Let's talk about woodworking.....

Jim Izat

Garrett Lambert
03-07-2003, 3:48 PM
You look vaguely familiar...

Have we met somewhere?

Phil Phelps
03-07-2003, 3:54 PM
Originally posted by Garrett

Have we met somewhere?

You don't recognize that face? It's Rod Peterson:p :D

Bart Leetch
03-07-2003, 3:55 PM
ahem... now that I've cleared my throat I'll go on to find something about woodworking to read

Lee Schierer
03-07-2003, 4:02 PM
Guys, lets leave other forums where they are. No need to sink to their level.

Jim Izat
03-07-2003, 4:04 PM
Originally posted by Garrett

Have we met somewhere?

Oddly enough I get that alot. Must be the little tiny picture.....

Jim Izat

Bob Lasley
03-07-2003, 4:08 PM
Originally posted by Phil Phelps

I thought it was Tommy Skaggs........or was that Norm Skaggs.....or..............

;)

Bob

Ken Salisbury
03-07-2003, 4:49 PM
Hey Folks --- Lets not even go there !!!! ---- I see no value add to any of this. We are Saw Mill Creek Members now ---- The Pond is gone --- others can say what they want in the other forums --- We should set a better example and not continue down this road.

Just an old man's 2¢ worth

Dale Thompson
03-07-2003, 5:18 PM
Steve,
You're right!! However, we would be much better off to argue over the "perfect" mitre than over the "perfect" website. Personnally, I have allegiances to both "The Pond" and "The Oak". They both helped to make a total "Klutz" into something less than a total "klutz".
Grumbine(excuse the use of your name, Mr. Grumbine)has certainly made my experience with the lathe an addiction instead of a hobby.

Ignoring that, SWMBO has decreed, a couple of weeks ago, that I would shut down the lathe and make some clocks(six-to be exact) for upcoming weddings and graduations. OK!!!

The Oak ones are no problem, they will get a light Oak stain. The Black Walnut ones will get NO stain! Nine coats of Tung Oil should do the trick.

What do I do with the mahogany pair? I like the idea of the reddish appearance but I don't want to emphasize it. Any ideas?

Dale T.

steve banks
03-07-2003, 6:15 PM
Sorry Guys and Phil!! I didn't mean to stir up a ruccous. I think there is a point in time when so call opinions step over the line and that's not what these forums are about. Yes, Phil, I do agree with you that Wayne got a little anal retentive at times, but it was his kit and kaboodle. I really could care less about these opinions and bashing because I come solely
for the purpose of woodworking. These threads tend to build up a head of steam and there goes the runaway train. Just my meaningless thoughts.

Dave Anderson
03-07-2003, 7:39 PM
Originally posted by steve banks
These threads tend to build up a head of steam and there goes the runaway train. Just my meaningless thoughts.

I have to agree with our <i>Sage:</i> Ken Salisbury and my buddy Phil Phelps -- OK, I don't HAVE to but I <b>do</b>...

Gotta be honest here, Steve. Never would have known it was going on if you hadn't mentioned it :( Your post sent me over there to see what all the ruckus was about. Honestly, given the clientele, they were actually quite gentle this time around!

What other people say on other forums I could care less about. Pointing out that something negative is going on elsewhere, starts that runaway train on its journey. Let these people have their opinions and if you don't agree with them keep it to yourself. Fighting back will only egg them on.

No one if forcing you to go there so if you don't like the "mood" stay away.

Lets keep the Creek on the high side of the bank :cool:

Dave Hammelef
03-07-2003, 7:52 PM
Originally posted by Bob Lasley
I thought it was Tommy Skaggs........or was that Norm Skaggs.....or..............

;)

Bob

He does look like that Tommy Skaggs guy

Joe Suelter
03-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Ken Salisbury
Hey Folks --- Lets not even go there !!!! ---- I see no value add to any of this. We are Saw Mill Creek Members now ---- The Pond is gone --- others can say what they want in the other forums --- We should set a better example and not continue down this road.

Just an old man's 2¢ worth

AMEN KEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob Sandow
03-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Phil Phelps

You sure it's not Tommy Skaggs?

Rob Sandow
03-07-2003, 11:19 PM
For 4 years or so, and watched the threads on a few of the other forums where they bashed Wayne, mostly for his policies regarding what can be posted on the forums. Well, the Pond was the only forum I visited for all those years, because it was civil and people on there actually became friends and had meetings and parties and picnics, where on the other forums, lots of people hide behind nicknames and don't even know any of the other participants personally. I'm here because lots of other former Ponders are here. I really hope that we continue the tradition, without the need for moderators to tell us what's right and wrong. Don't bash the Oak for what they say. Just ignore them, and consider it their loss that they don't have the kind of community that we had on the Pond and that we will hopefully continue to have here and on Wood Central.

Rob

Jerry P. Doan
03-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Ditto what Rob Sandow said.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Hi,

I have been reading and participating on forums now for 5 years...the bashing and flaming I have seen in the past is a direct reflection on a forums inability to regulate their members...but common decency and a mature attitude is not something I thought was something that NEEDED to be taught to some, apparently I was wrong, some forums are HORRID, not here though....

Take care,
Jim

Dennis Peacock
03-09-2003, 12:35 AM
Dave,

You are exactly correct in stating that if you don't go there, you won't know about the negative talk and your own life will be the better from not even knowing about it.

The exact reason why I do NOT go over the other forum. I visited there several times in the past and very near present and never liked it there nor the feeling I got while there.

I have never been back and life has been better ever since.

Phil Phelps
03-09-2003, 9:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve banks
[B]Sorry Guys and Phil!!

Now wait a cotton picken minute, Steve. I took a shower tonight and double checked. I resent that remark. I may wear a little too much blush, but let's dont' get personal.:D :p