PDA

View Full Version : Jointer blades

Ted Shrader
02-13-2003, 6:07 PM
All -

Always good to have a second set of jointer blades around.

I like HS steel - doesn't chip as easily. I can set them fairly rapidly so don't plan on getting EstaŽ knives. Any suggestions on brand/source.

Thanks,
Ted

Keith Melick
02-13-2003, 8:59 PM
Ted

I have two sets of 15 inch knives from Jesada. I have had very good results with them. They cut clean even on some rather tough crotchwhite oak I haven't put in the second set to date and have used the first ones hard. These were purchased during the old ownership so I can't say how they are now.

Keith M

I meant to say 8 inch knives for my Jointer. I do have the 15 inch knives but they are for my Jet planer. Both have been excellent.

Keith

Scott Whiting
02-14-2003, 8:54 AM
I prefer T1 steel as it seems to hold an edge longer. The ones I know making their knives that way are Amana, Charles GG Schmidt and some of the Delta. I am sure there are others.

Dennis Peacock
02-14-2003, 9:24 AM
Do you sell those T1 blades? Would they fit my Robland X31? I will be sending you one of my sets....maybe both sets for a sharpening soon. If you have the T1 knives and they will fit the X31....would you please e-mail me the price....3 knife head...

Thanks,
Dennis

Scott Whiting
02-14-2003, 9:41 AM
Dennis

Take a close look at the label on your knives. At least with the first set you sent me to sharpen Robland supplied you with T1 knives to start with. SCMI does too. Unless you won the Lotto and didn't tell anyone about it I bet you can find tools you need with that money rather than replacing the stuff you already have that is good :grin:

In answer to the question, seeing as how I handle Amana I could probably come up with a set if I had to. If memory serves me right yours is an oddball length so I would have to custom cut them.

Russ Massery
04-22-2005, 4:11 PM
I did a google search for planer knive a while back, And found global tooling there a great source for jointer & planer knives. All the knives they sell are T-1. Great service and prices too.......

Dev Emch
04-23-2005, 5:40 AM
CG Schmidt in New Jersy is an excellent dealer for T1 knives. The T1 actually contains more tungston and I have found them excellent. Many of my machines are vintage old iron and schmidt has been able to cobble up T1 knife sets for them all including my oliver planer and porter jointer.

Alan Turner
04-23-2005, 5:42 AM
Dev,
I too an old iron fan. Any chance of you posting a few photos? Thanks in advance.