PDA

View Full Version : Oneway Easy Core

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2008, 8:41 AM
I have a chance to buy a new Oneway Easy Core for bowl coring for less than half price and it is still in the box. The guy bought it and said he just never got to it. It has 3 knives with it and is for a 16" lathe. Was wondering if anyone has one or has used one? Thanks.

Jack Mincey
03-10-2008, 9:10 AM
Bernie,
I've used one a friend has to core some vary large burls. I liked it very much and want one for my lathe. If you don't take it I would be interested in buying it. I think it is the best one on the market for LARGE bowls. I found it easy to use even on a 16" blank. You have to figure it out or you can still turn a funnel which I did once.
Jack

Pete Jordan
03-10-2008, 9:27 AM
I've got one Bernie but haven't used it much yet. I have the larger one and it does work if you set it up right. I plan on using it a ton if it ever warms up!

john taliaferro
03-10-2008, 12:49 PM
:eek: oops stihl they bend good my left hand was on the guide bar post resting on the knife . knife hung loose belt lathe stop knife bent down then jumped up2" thum dum thum went in knife came down cause dum rt hand still pulling on handle thum sore today. they happen quick and its always dum careful

Bill Stevener
03-10-2008, 3:01 PM
:eek: oops stihl they bend good my left hand was on the guide bar post resting on the knife . knife hung loose belt lathe stop knife bent down then jumped up2" thum dum thum went in knife came down cause dum rt hand still pulling on handle thum sore today. they happen quick and its always dum careful

Boy oh boy, I bet that hurt.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m109/nicebill/4.gif

Hilel Salomon
03-10-2008, 3:12 PM
Bernie,

Go for it. I have the McNaughton and like it, but I actually thought of getting a Oneway w/20% coupon. Coring reduces the amount of chip cleanup and it is awfully neat to have two, three bowls from the same blank.
Tell us what you decide to do.
Regards, Hilel.

Mark Paulley
03-10-2008, 7:57 PM
Bernie,
I have the Oneway coring system and it paid for itself on the first 2 corings. 5 factors help with the coring system,
1 sharp cutting points
2 a good strong chuck to hold the tenion
3 slow speed. You do not need to go fast
4 constant cleaning out the shavings by pulling the knife out of the slot.
5 stop coring and move the finger in ever so often. If not you can bend a knife.

Oneway sells a jig that is GREAT for shapening the cutting bits. Remember you are sharpening not grinding/shaping these ponts. Soft touch goes a long way.

I got the video which helped too.

If more questions e:mail me or call me at your convenience!
Mark

Brian McInturff
03-10-2008, 9:13 PM
Hey Bernie, if you don't jump on that deal then I'll take it. :D
Just give me the guys info;)
Hopefully by now you have it at your house and have tried it out. Half price - Man, I wish those deals would come my way.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys for the info. I called and got a hold of him. He is going to hold it for me till I can get out and get it picked up. We are headed that way in a couple of weeks so I ask him to hold it since it is paid for. He said no problem. I appreciate the info.

Reed Gray
03-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Bernie,
I have all 3 of the coring systems, and no, I don't have a tool buying problem. The up side of the Oneway is that it is almost idiot proof. Set each knife up so that it swings 1/2 inch (more or less depending on personal preference) away from your chuck, then cut plywood templates to go between the banjo and mounting plate so you don't have to measure each time to see where each blade goes. Coring is easy. The biggest down sides for the Oneway, for me, are it is expensive, and the bits are a pain to sharpen. The jig helps, but you have to take the bit off the knife to sharpen it. I have thought about making a sanding disc that is flat with metal sand paper on it for sharpening since the bits come surface sharpened. Also, it is a bit slow for me. You have to mount the plate, and when coring, you have to turn the lathe off to advance the support finger, up to 4 or more times on a big bowl (18 inches). I can core much faster with the McNaughton, but then I had to learn how to use it also. The Oneway doesn't have the versatility that the McNaughton does. If all you core are standard utility bowls, then the Oneway will work fine. If you want to core a platter, or a deeper bowl, you can't do much with the Oneway. It does have some side to side movement of the mounting plate for cutting slightly deeper or flatter, but at the far sides of its range, the support finger will actually bind in the cut.

As for claims that coring systems reduce the amount of shavings on the shop floor, I will dispute that. It is much faster than turning out the inside of a bowl, and you save so much time on turning the cores (the bottom is alreadyshaped, you just have to clean it up) that you actually turn more bowls, so there are more shavings than ever. I can finish turn 4 bowls from a 14 by 6 inch green bowl blank in about 50 minutes. I do turn a lot of bowls.

robo hippy