PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Table for Table Saw Question

Norm Roberts
03-17-2004, 6:58 PM
Looking for some help. I am considering buying a sliding table to mount to my Unisaw. I want it to work with my mobile base and don’t have a fortune to spend. I have looked at the Delta and a similar unit sold by Grizzly. Has anyone had any experience with either unit? There seem to be some subtle differences, is one by chance better than the other? Have also contemplated trying to build my own. I currently have a cross cut sled that works well, but want more capacity. Open to suggestions. Thanks for the feedback.

Alan Turner
03-18-2004, 12:06 PM
I have the Unisaw flavor of sliding table on my Unisaw. If I had it to do again, I wouldn't go this way. I saw the Exactor at a show several years ago, and met the owner, and this is what I would buy, were I to retool.

Steven Wilson
03-18-2004, 12:31 PM
I considered an aftermarket sliding table for my Powermatic and every choice (Excaliber, Delta, Robland, Jet, etc) seemed to really be a major compromise of what I'm looking for and only marginally better than my crosscut sled. In the end the only real way to go was to purchase a saw that was manufactured from the get go to be a slider. So, I've sold my Powermatic and am expecting delivery of a Minimax CU350 combination machine next month. I just believe that there are too many compromises with the after market units. For example, if you go with the Exactor or Excaliber for cutting sheet goods you'll give up the notion of portability in that you'll need to realign the unit if you move the saw. Also, if you're getting the attachment to cut sheet goods you'll probably want to have scoring capability on your saw so that you consistantly get a great cut. Once you add it up the tablesaws that are designed from the ground up to be sliders are the only way to go; a bit pricey yes but the major players often have trade-in's listed on their web sites and provide a lot of function for the money. So interms of total dollar spend for the shop the sliders (or combination machines) can be cost competative and the quality is generally top notch.