PDA

View Full Version : I'm READY to Place my GOLD 3520B order!

Scott Hubl
03-10-2008, 4:20 AM
OK the time has arrived. :D

It is time to actually place my order for the Powermatic 3520B Lathe. :D

I am 99.9% sure I will order from Osolnik Machinery.
The Tax refund is here and the wife and kids all got brand new Mattresses and a couple new box springs ect. ect. some came home today the rest will be available for me to pickup after Noon tomorrow.

And i'm paying off my Sons Braces.

So the wife is Happy she got to pick out whatever bed she wanted.

And now I get my New GOLD Lathe.

I have been adding and subtracting stuff from my cart for the last few weeks, and now I have the CASH in hand so it is time.

OK ,

Been sitting here subtracting and adding stuff to my cart,
like some have said this is going to be a major jump in size from the 1442, so thinking it over, I may not use the outboard stand for a long time.

It is only 329.00, not a unrealistic nut to crack at a later date.( I'm gonna call and ask how much shipping would add to that if ordered later.)

And i'd like the second banjo but really could do without it too for now.( be nice to have for making canes or walking sticks) I'm not planning much in the way of long spindle work. Unless I buy some old victorian Oak filled house with lots of needed spindle repairs.

But thats just in my Dreams.

I have it Whittled down too-

1352001-3 Powermatic 3520B Lathe Value Package. Qualifies for Powermatic $100.00 Rebate.

This Package includes #900910 DVD lathe by Nick Cook, 3520B DVD and a "Rude and Daphne Osolnik - A Family Portrait" Catalog of Arrowmont Exhibit.

The 3520B value package 1352002 comes with the following:
1352001 Powermatic 3520B Lathe
6294733 Remote Switch
6294727B 18" Bed Extension with Tool Rest Assembly for 3520B
6294740 Right Hand Tool Rest (Inside) < Anyone have that? I don't see a picture of it.

6294796 - Powermatic Dust Port Assembly for 3520B Lathe

6294735 - 2" Spindle Extension

Liftgate Services
^^^I could have it delivered to a friends Machine Shop he has a fork lift, But it's about a 40 minute drive from me, add my gas and the work loading it on my trailer then getting it off once home and the added $85.00 don't sound too bad.

That brings me down too -

Total
(excluding tax) $3,155.01

Right at the edge of my budget. :cool:

WHEW!

I think that should make for a nice setup even witout the other extra's I wanted to add. :(

How long does it usually take from order date to actual delivery on one of these?

At one point I had my cart up to - Subtotal $3,810.96 :eek:

I hope to place my order in this week!:D

Gotta call them and ToolNut to see who will give me the best DEAL maybe be able to add back in another extra or so.

Anyone else I should try dealing with to get the BEST pricing?

Kurt Bird
03-10-2008, 5:53 AM
Scott,
You may want to put that order on hold temporarily. I bought my 3520 from Osolnik, and they are a great supplier. But I assume you are already booked for the Midwest symposium in June. Powermatic is one of the vendors, and they have been known to offer some very good deals on their lathes at the bigger shows. I'm sure those funds are burning away in your pocket, but you might be able to pick up $300-400 worth of additional accessories if you can wait until July. FWIW
Kurt:)

Scott Hubl
03-10-2008, 8:54 AM
I heard of it but not booked to go.
I'm not sure i'd have the willpower to wait until June , been waiting a long time for this as it is.
There is no gaurantee that they will be offering good deals these days , seems the woodworking shows are seeing less and less vendors and the deals they once gave are getting scarce.

Thanks for the idea, i'll think about it, but it would be hard to wait longer.

Do you have more info about it Kurt?

Dennis Peacock
03-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Congrats Scott.!!!!!!! You're going to really love that lathe and the setup you have on order. BTW, Welcome to the Mustard Club. :D

Scott Hubl
03-10-2008, 2:08 PM
I called both Osolnik and ToolNut and waiting for them both to call me back with their best price. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif

Let them Fight HARD to give me a DEAL! http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Sitting here waiting for my phone to ring. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowyes.gif

Update-
OK Osolnik called me back just now and Joe said he could go $3120.00 with the liftgate.
with the $100.00 rebate would bring it too 3,020.00

Waiting on Tool Nut's call back.

Anyone else I should or could add into the price war?

Scott Hubl
03-10-2008, 2:15 PM
Thanks Dennis,
I may end up placing my order today.

NO it's ~GOLD~
"The GOLD Standard Since 1921"

WHO ever started to call expensive Machinery by condoment names should be SLAPPED! LOL
http://www.33smiley.com/smiley5/humor/4.gif

Besides, I'm Allergic to mustard.;)

Kurt Bird
03-10-2008, 2:46 PM
Scott,
The only additional info I have is thru: www.chicagowoodturners.com (http://www.chicagowoodturners.com) and to contact someone in the club. I'm like you though, I probably wouldn't be able to wait that long. There used to be a Powermatic tool dealer in Sycamore, IL that might be able to give you a bid as well, if they're still in business, but I don't remember their name. (I'm from Elgin, originally.) Otherwise, stick with Joe Osolnik, you won't go wrong.
Kurt:)

Ken Glass
03-10-2008, 2:49 PM
Scott,
We Mustard Monster owners have the up-most respect for the Powermatic Gold/Yellow/ Mustard color. The product is always a great value. I waited a while for mine, and at the St. Louis WW show, I got $500 off from my dealer. It really pays to go to the shows, when you are close to purchasing a major machine.

Scott Hubl
03-10-2008, 2:50 PM
ToolNut just called and said $2,999.99
shipped.

Thats -The Hardwood Connection?

I'll try giving them a call too.

Thanks

Scott Hubl
03-10-2008, 4:21 PM
Hardwood Connection can't touch it when you include about $330.00 in Taxes.

The symposium is over 3 months away!

Osolnik has posted on there Home page that the 100.00 rebate ends April 30
And states "Sharp Price Increases May 1, 2008" :eek:

So would you Gamble that there will even be a good deal at the symposium or not?

With the rebate it brings it to $2899.99.

I'm ready to PULL that Trigger, $500.00 more off would be great but do you really think is a reality with the options i'm getting?
1352001-3 Powermatic 3520B Lathe Value Package. Qualifies for Powermatic $100.00 Rebate.

This Package includes #900910 DVD lathe by Nick Cook, 3520B DVD and a "Rude and Daphne Osolnik - A Family Portrait" Catalog of Arrowmont Exhibit.

The 3520B value package 1352002 comes with the following:
1352001 Powermatic 3520B Lathe
6294733 Remote Switch
6294727B 18" Bed Extension with Tool Rest Assembly for 3520B
6294740 Right Hand Tool Rest (Inside) < Anyone have that? I don't see a picture of it.

6294796 - Powermatic Dust Port Assembly for 3520B Lathe

6294735 - 2" Spindle Extension

Liftgate Services

What about that Sharp Price Increase on May 1st?

Kurt Bird
03-10-2008, 4:46 PM
Scott,
OK, I say go for it... you might get a better deal at the the show, but it is 3 months away, and you have to pay the entry fee, and you could have 7-10 pieces turned by then, soooooo, do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kurt:D:D

Hilel Salomon
03-10-2008, 4:48 PM
I haven't ordered anything lately from toolnut, but I've heard reasonably good things about them. If you take into account the extras you want... I think that their price is good. You might be able to do better at the Richmond show, but if you're not going to go, then going there.... price of the symposium, meals, lodging, wouldn't warrant waiting. If you've got the cash.... go for it now. I love my powermatic. It's a great lathe. If you can set it up reasonably soon, it beats waiting for a maybe,,,
Luck, Hilel.

Steve Busey
03-10-2008, 5:08 PM
>>I'm ready to PULL that Trigger

(Well, it's not my money, so... ;)) I say go for it. Also, consider that the price of gas doesn't appear to be getting any cheaper, which means shipping costs (both to America, and to your door) are likely going to get higher in the coming months.

Scott Hubl
03-10-2008, 6:10 PM
Osolnik is already closed, Woodcraft was about $460.00 more so it's either Osolnik or Tool Nut .

I'll be pulling the Trigger in the Morning.:D
I would have tonight if Joe had answered the phone and at least matched Tool Nuts price.

Clem Wixted
03-10-2008, 6:35 PM
..is a 4 jaw scroll chuck.

I have a Oneway Stronghold Chuck for my 3520. If you don't already have a chuck you will need one with a 1-1/4 X 8 insert.

If you get the outboard stand now you will use it sooner. However if you won't be doing big things you'll never need it.

Clem

Scott Hubl
03-10-2008, 6:56 PM
I have 6 Lathes at the Moment, the Powermatic will be the 7th.

I have about 9 chucks right now.Oneways and Teknatools.

I'm selling quite a few tools and most of my other lathes, I have a few posts in the classifieds here now.

I have 3 vacuum chucks also, 2 are the Hold Fast venturi type and 1 is a Gast pump.

John Abt
03-10-2008, 7:52 PM
I bought mine from ToolNut in December, nothing against Osolnik machinery, it's just the way thw quarter landed.

Scott, it sounds like you have an incredible deal...go for it....:D

"Gary Brewer"
03-10-2008, 8:02 PM
Scott: Did Osolnik match ToolNut's price? Did you order? Thanks, this has been very helpful.
Gary

Scott Hubl
03-10-2008, 9:48 PM
Matters not to me who I order it from as long as the deal is apples to apples oranges to oranges exact same.

By the time Woodcraft called me with a price, Osolnik was closed when I tried calling them back.:(

In the Morning, I will be calling Joe from Osolnik and letting him know Tool Nut beat his price and allow him to make another price adjustment from his first price, Notice just calling got money off the price that was in my cart.

The "Beat Down" is in full force here, I can buy from anyone, it just matters who wants my CASH the most.;)

So far i'm down too-$2,999.97 then the $100.00 rebate brings the total shipped with liftgate service too $2,899.99.

Thats including the lathe, the remote switch, the 18" bed extension with tool rest assembly, a right hand tool rest(inside), a couple DVD's and Rudes book if bought from Osolnik all in the "value package"

And then also, the 2" spindle exension, and the dust port assembly for the 3520B.

I PULL the Trigger in the Morning, hopefully I can beat some more off the price.

If not, with all thats included for the $2,899.97 to my door is a pretty good price.
I'll post right after the Trigger has actually been PULLED and i'll post my final beat down price.:D

Pays to shop and compare and let them fight over your business.;) Your in charge when making a large purchase.

Scott Hubl
03-11-2008, 4:05 PM
OK FINALLY a FAXED invoice.

Tool Nut
3520B lathe $2,492
remote switch $89.99 18" extension $169,00
RH tool rest (inside) 89.99
dust port assembly $69.99
2" spindle extension $89.00
DVD.s no charge
Pricing includes Drop Ship , Lift Gate and Residential fee -OK sa/dm

thats a total of $2,999,97

Does that look the SAME as Osolniks? except the Rude and Daphne CD?