PDA

View Full Version : Oh my the shop is all messed up

Bart Leetch
03-09-2008, 11:47 PM
But my Belsaw planer has the new out-feed roller & drive chains & belt installed & everything adjusted.

The in-feed roller was real bad & the Belsaw rep said to switch the out-feed roller to the in-feed side & put the new roller on the out-feed side....so I did. I am still going to get a new roller for the in-feed side I don't like the looks of it. It is somewhere between 1/16" & 3/32" smaller in diameter in the middle than on the ends.

The planer used to run with skips & jerks because the in-feed roller was badly worn along with worn drive chains & belt.

I started at 3 pm & finished at 8 pm & was able to take my time & enjoy it.

The planer seems to work ok too.

Dad used to use this 5 hp planer for production. It also has a rip attachment. The planer isn't damaged just well used & hasn't been used much in several years.

You'll need to click on the attachments to see the pictures.

Bill Wyko
03-10-2008, 12:03 AM
It's only when the shop looks like that, that you can find what you're looking for.:D Put it all away and you can't find anything.;)

Jim Becker
03-10-2008, 8:09 AM
Where's the mess, Bart???

Don Bullock
03-10-2008, 8:26 AM
I don't see any mess. Your shop looks like mine right now.

Oh, I'm glad your planer is working better.

Curt Taylor
03-10-2008, 8:38 AM
Hey Bart that looks like the same planner I have. Bought it new around 25 years ago. I replaced the bearings last year but it's also in need of the same basic upgrades you just did. Still gets the job done though. What did the parts cost ya? Looks like your running a single drive belt off the motor. Have you considered changing to a link style belt? I may sometime down the road.

Joe Vee
03-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Bart,

Now I'm embarrassed, my shop usually looks like that. I have a Woodmaster Planer which is a Great Grandchild of your Belsaw. I'll bet yours is even better made and a lot heavier. Have fun

Joe

Richard M. Wolfe
03-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Where's the mess, Bart? Looks fine to me. Matter of fact it looks like my shop and........

.......hmmmm........

OK, so your shop's messy. :D

Bart Leetch
03-10-2008, 1:39 PM
Hey Bart that looks like the same planner I have. Bought it new around 25 years ago. I replaced the bearings last year but it's also in need of the same basic upgrades you just did. Still gets the job done though. What did the parts cost ya? Looks like your running a single drive belt off the motor. Have you considered changing to a link style belt? I may sometime down the road.

Curt

About $105.00 & by purchasing the other feed roller this morning it will cost around $164-$165. I figure $165 for a 5hp planer is pretty cheap. I paid $250 for a used Grizzly portable planer several years ago & that was 50% of original cost new & though I got a good deal then & it still works great.

I am running 2 drive belts on a 5 hp motor this also has room for the 3 belt to run the rip attachment that I have also.

Phil Thien
03-10-2008, 7:39 PM
Kinda hard to tell from the angle but that motor looks positively enormous! Nice planer. I like uses my dad's old tools, the only stuff he used was stuff that worked well. Kinda pre-tested everything for me. :)

Bart Leetch
03-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Kinda hard to tell from the angle but that motor looks positively enormous! Nice planer. I like uses my dad's old tools, the only stuff he used was stuff that worked well. Kinda pre-tested everything for me. :)

Phil

Its a 5 HP this planer has a rip attachment & can be used as a moulder.

I think Dad had up to 5 blades on the shaft running at the same time.

The saw blade system is on the in-feed side coming up through the plywood top.

See the picture from the manual.

Curt Taylor
03-11-2008, 8:32 AM
Curt

About $105.00 & by purchasing the other feed roller this morning it will cost around $164-$165. I figure $165 for a 5hp planer is pretty cheap. I paid $250 for a used Grizzly portable planer several years ago & that was 50% of original cost new & though I got a good deal then & it still works great.

I am running 2 drive belts on a 5 hp motor this also has room for the 3 belt to run the rip attachment that I have also.

Bart - I'd say it's the same machine I have. Guess my old eyes must have missed the second belt in the pic. Pretty sure those upgrades will have to happen in the near future. I use to run the rip attachment years ago but made a stupid mistake while getting in a hurry to adjust a clamped on fence I was using as a guide. I reached down to loosen the clamp and the rip blade cut across all 4 fingers on my left hand. Luckly it was only enough to draw blood but it did put the fear in me, forsure. Young and dumb at the time. Guess you know that is also a molding head on the machine. Just FYI. Happy planning.