PDA

View Full Version : Clamping up a Large Case

Patrick Johnson
03-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a rather large armoire, 48 in wide by 25 in deep and need some suggestions on how to clamp up such a large case. Not only is it very wide, but it's also very deep. I'm using biscuits to join the top, bottom and 2 fixed interior shelves to the sides.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Patrick

Mike Heidrick
03-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Welcome to SMC!

What clamps do you currently own?

David DeCristoforo
03-09-2008, 10:59 PM
More information needed... The shelves are butted to the sides w/ biscuits? Are the top and bottom "fitted" between the sides as are the shelves or do they "cap" the sides?

YM

Patrick Johnson
03-10-2008, 6:12 AM
The top, bottom, and 2 shelves are all butted to the sides. The longest clamps I have are 36" long. I'm not looking forward to the idea of spending a great sum of money on 60" clamps, but the real problem is how to put pressure on the center of the shelves with any standard style clamp...even parallel clamps. This is a one of a kind project for me and I don't think I will have a need for 60" clamps in the future. Is there a used market for clamps once I'm done with them?

I'm using cherry plywood and am now thinking about using wood screws to screw the sides into the shelves to 'clamp them' and then putting a 1/4" cherry veneer over the sides to cover the screws.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Patrick

Russ Filtz
03-10-2008, 6:27 AM
Several "band" clamps might work. Or laying on its side and loading up with weights (level surface)?

James White
03-10-2008, 6:37 AM
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19443

Patrick,

I am not an expert. But since they are on sale at the moment I thought I might mention. The Pipe clamps that Rockler has on sale two for twelve dollars Item 28547 (see the link above). Those with some cauls (sp.?) should work. A ten foot length of 3/4 inch pipe at HD is $10 and can be cut and threaded to any size at no extra charge.

James

Ralph Barhorst
03-10-2008, 7:27 AM
I have had the same problem on a recent project and I decided to use "pocket screws" to hold it together. No clamps were needed. Apply the screws so they don't show, ie. bottom of shelf, bottom of base, top of top.

I am looking forward to photos of your armoire. I want to build one soon.

Curt Harms
03-10-2008, 7:56 AM
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a rather large armoire, 48 in wide by 25 in deep and need some suggestions on how to clamp up such a large case. Not only is it very wide, but it's also very deep. I'm using biscuits to join the top, bottom and 2 fixed interior shelves to the sides.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Patrick

I did something very similar, 24" deep x 20" wide x 72" high. Biscuits top, bottom, and roughly center. It's held for 10 years and counting. I used slow set glue and cauls.

HTH

Curt

Rob Wright
03-10-2008, 7:58 AM
How about cauls? Either shop made or bought would work well for this and apply the pressure that you need across the joint...
- Rob

Patrick Johnson
03-10-2008, 8:21 AM
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the pocket screw idea. :) I think that may just be the ideal solution! I'll be able to build the case, piece by piece, rather than as an entire assembly in one step. That should make it more manageable. As long as each shelf is glued up square I should be okay.

I have a website where I'm posting a few pictures of the shop and the progress I'm making on the armoire. Here are the plans I've worked up for the armoire:

http://www.pbase.com/patjoja/image/92221028

We don't live too far away from each other either...I'm located in Franklin, Ohio!

Much regards,

Patrick

Patrick Johnson
03-10-2008, 8:43 AM
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19443

Hi James,

I saw those, but the reviews on those are terrible...perhaps that's why they're on sale? hehe

Thanks for the suggestion!

Patrick

Patrick Johnson
03-10-2008, 8:46 AM
"How about cauls? Either shop made or bought would work well for this and apply the pressure that you need across the joint..."

Yes...cauls would be a good idea. I guess at this point I'm trying to avoid having to buy the clamps that would be needed for use with the cauls.

Patrick

Bryan Somers
03-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Patrick here's (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54707) a link to a thread that I used some home made cauls when I had few clamps worked pretty good. I know a couple that have a set of Bowclamps and love them.

glenn bradley
03-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the pocket screw idea. :) I think that may just be the ideal solution! I'll be able to build the case, piece by piece, rather than as an entire assembly in one step.

That method will really lower your blood pressure during glue up.

I saw those, but the reviews on those are terrible...perhaps that's why they're on sale? hehe

I have four of the the Jorgie version and while they do what they are supposed to . . . they are my least frequently used clamps. Rather awkward but, like other pipe clamps, when that's what you need, there's nothing like them.

For you requirement, if pocket holes are acceptable (I use them for just such occasions) I would go that way.

David DeCristoforo
03-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Good morning. Are the clamps you have pipe clamps? If so, all you need are longer pipes, not more (longer clamps). Veneering the sides may well cost more than either longer clamps or longer pipes! The pocket screw idea should work. Outside of that clamps (2 per "deck") and cauls (also 2 per deck) is really the only other "good" option outside of buying a case clamp!

YM

Paul Johnstone
03-10-2008, 4:07 PM
Another idea is to pocket screw the bottom that doesn't show and then
use brads on the side to nail the shelfs in..
I guess it all depends on what you feel is worse .. seeing pocket screws on the bottom of shelves or seeing a few filled brads on the side.

I have never attempted to clamp and glue something that big.

Tyler Howell
03-10-2008, 4:52 PM
Get some help!! There aint nothing like three sets of hands for a glue up.
Works great.

David DeCristoforo
03-10-2008, 5:08 PM
"Get some help!! There aint nothing like three sets of hands for a glue up..."

Truer words rarely spoken...

YM

Joe Chritz
03-10-2008, 5:58 PM
Pipe clamps are cheap and handy when needed. Using a female/female coupler you can get nearly unlimited length. Not as good as a solid pipe but who wants to store 10 foot pipe clamps? I have several that are 5' long and occasionally need to connect them for really long glue ups.

If you don't use pocket screws than a caul/clamp is about the best option.

Joe

Patrick Johnson
03-10-2008, 8:01 PM
Hi Paul,

I think I can arrange it so that none of the pocket holes will show. There is only one shelf that is visible from both top and bottom, but it is way above eye level so I think I can use pocket hole plugs without a penalty.

I considered using finish nails but don't really like that idea because the sides will be in plain view with light on them.

Thanks for everyone's responses! I started the day thinking I was sunk, but I now have a workable solution.

Patrick

Howard Acheson
03-10-2008, 9:36 PM
The top, bottom, and 2 shelves are all butted to the sides. The longest clamps I have are 36" long. I'm not looking forward to the idea of spending a great sum of money on 60" clamps, but the real problem is how to put pressure on the center of the shelves with any standard style clamp...even parallel clamps. This is a one of a kind project for me and I don't think I will have a need for 60" clamps in the future. Is there a used market for clamps once I'm done with them?

I'm using cherry plywood and am now thinking about using wood screws to screw the sides into the shelves to 'clamp them' and then putting a 1/4" cherry veneer over the sides to cover the screws.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Patrick

The way you get pressure to the center of a side panel that has a shelf is to use clamping cauls across the panel lined up with the shelf. To get pressure to the center, the quick way is to put two or three playing cards under the caul in the center of the panel. These will apply pressure to the center. Depending on the stiffness of your caul, two cards may be enough.

Another way is to slightly curve the caul using a hand plane so that it slightly rocks. When clamps are placed on the ends, the center of the caul will contact the panel first and begin applying pressure. As the clamps tighten, pressure will be applied across the whole joint.

I would not put screws from the outside. Screws into end grain plywood are not very strong.