PDA

View Full Version : Ever Post a Non-Tool on Craigslist?

Paul Fitzgerald
03-09-2008, 9:33 PM
I'd like to hear about your experience if any of you have every posted a non-tool on Craigslist.

I've got a couple of mountain bikes I need to get rid of and I'm considering putting them on Craigslist. I've only ever looked there for tools, so I'm not sure if it's worth trying to sell a couple of bikes there.

Paul

John Finley
03-09-2008, 9:40 PM
I've used it a few times. Never had a problem. I have never heard (first hand) of problems either.

Jim Becker
03-09-2008, 9:41 PM
Posted? No. Bought? Yes. Craig's List is a pretty effective medium for buy/sell. Example: I helped a close friend buy a crib for her newly adopted baby girl not long ago. $850 crib for $250 and nearly new. (It was at the grandparents' house of the original occupant and saw little use.

Of course, you do need to exercise caution with any kind of buy/sell with a stranger, especially since as a seller, you'll likely have them visit you to check out the merchandise.

David G Baker
03-09-2008, 9:45 PM
Paul,
I have never purchased anything on Craigslist that was not a tool but I look at all of the item for sale in my area and if I find anything that I am interested in and the price is reasonable I will purchase the item. In my opinion listing your mountain bikes on CL is a very good way to reach a lot of people that you would not reach in a newspaper ad.

Joe Pelonio
03-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I tried selling two cars on it, both ended up being sold in other ways. I also listed several items of home and business furniture and sold them with no problem to local people. They were listed as "must pick up, no shipping."

Russ Filtz
03-10-2008, 6:39 AM
Sold a motorcycle on CL in about ONE DAY! Pretty amazing response. Just be careful out there, a thief could pretend to buy, hop on the bikes and take off! For safety/being paranoid, I did my transaction in a public place to ensure witnesses, and so they wouldn't know where I lived. Can't be too careful!

Matt Meiser
03-10-2008, 6:57 AM
We put a crib on and sold it in a couple hours. A fridge sold in a few days and an attachment for my tractor in about a week. I've put computer stuff on there too and not gotten a single bite, probably because there's so much of it there and I so far out.

Curt Harms
03-10-2008, 7:51 AM
I sold a digital camera, tools stands and other things thru Craigs List. It's a good option for things that are not practical to ship. I haven't sold anything that I couldn't take to meet the seller at an easily found public location. I've purchased a few things as well. Just use some common sense. I won't buy anything that seemed like it might not have been "acquired legitimately." As far as tools, I sold a jointer & planer thru the classifieds here at SMC and had a good experience.

HTH

Curt

David Wilhelm
03-10-2008, 8:12 AM
CL is a free listing let replies come back via CL. I've sold boats, My company uses it as well and we have good results. You are out nothing but your time.

Paul Fitzgerald
03-10-2008, 9:49 AM
Wow! I guess I need to go ahead and get them cleaned up and posted.

Thanks everyone!

Paul

Mark Patoka
03-10-2008, 11:37 AM
I have yet to sell a tool on it. I never had any problems selling a set of golf clubs, a piano, a car that needed towing, washer and dryer. Just make sure you specify where you are if they have to come to you. I would get emails/calls from people that lived 50+ miles away or in a different state, thinking I was next door to them. They didn't bother to look on a map or know the area even though I had the city, state and major road I lived on listed.

Also be prepared for the many people offering you half of what you ask.

Ken Werner
03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I've sold a bike, a roto-tiller and a lawnmower. All went smoothly.

Ken

Grant Davis
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Never sold anything other than tools but since buying my house last November I have bought a new pedestal sink and matching toilet, two new bath faucets and a garbage disposal (NIB).

Bob Rufener
03-11-2008, 7:11 AM
I sold my mother in law's car on CL. It got flagged the first time I posted it. (I still have no clue why) but I reposted and it sold quickly. I have bought and sold several other items with zero problems.

Fred Voorhees
03-11-2008, 6:31 PM
I've sold an old exterior door, an industrial rooftop exhaust fan and given away a pair of very tall grapefruit trees. I just recently bought an Evinrude boat motor. CraigsList is an effective tool for buying and selling. Oh yeah, forgot that I just this past weekend, kind of wrapped up a deal to sell my current contractor table saw to a gentleman who is willing to wait for my new cab saw to arrive. He was the first one to inquire about the saw and he emailed me in, I think, two days.

Russ Cass
03-13-2008, 7:05 PM
I've sold old stereo and sports equipment without a problem.

As a matter of fact, I'm about to list a pressure washer I bought 2 years ago and have only used once :o

Too big for the jobs I need it for and my water pressure at the hose isn't enough to feed this monster :(

Mike Langford
03-13-2008, 11:57 PM
I've sold my Delta contractor saw, an Oxy/Acetylene set, and a nice display case with no problem......

.....But before I sell on CL again I'm going by the bank and pick-up a couple of those pens that you mark currency with......Although I haven't heard any horror stories.....It still seems like an easy way for someone to purchase your items with "funny money".....they'll make off with the goods and you're stuck with worthless paper! :eek: (I sound paranoid don't I? :rolleyes:)

Jacob Mac
03-22-2008, 9:31 PM
I have bought a trampoline, weights, workmate, ladder, and saw horses from craigslist. I have sold several things (never any tools) without any problem.

I am actually trying to use craigslist to get a tablesaw and a bandsaw, but I haven't had much luck yet. Good deals do not stay up for very long.

Jon Lanier
03-22-2008, 9:37 PM
I've sold a couple of Bows and a tree stand, electric piano, and an exercise bike. Trying to sell a huge Curio cabinet but that isn't going to well.

Fred Voorhees
03-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Of course, you always have to be on the lookout for the scam artists. I have always read of this scam or that one, but I got a first hand account of one about a month or so ago. I have been trying to sell seven brand new Anderson storm windows for a while and finally, someone contacted me about them. They said they wanted them and the deal was done. Well, we emailed each other back and forth and it slowly progressively got suspicious until he told me that his bank had mistakenly cut a bank draft for $2,500.00 instead of the $500.00 that I was asking. He said to cash the check, take an additional $100 for my troubles and send him back the balance and then he would have a company come to pick up the windows. Classic scam deal 101. I thought that it ended right there until a few weeks after that when a UPS truck pulled up to me while I was at my mailbox and handed me an envelope with this check inside. I honestly didn't make the connection at first. I'm saving this as a souvenir and a reminder to remain cautious when dealing with unknown characters.

David G Baker
03-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Fred,
The scam artist is out the cost of the UPS delivery fee and his time and effort. Looks like you got a little pound of flesh from the crook.
I just put a water softener on Craigslist, this is my first experience at selling on the site. If any funny stuff shows up I will share with SMC.

Randal Stevenson
03-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Of course, you always have to be on the lookout for the scan artists. I have always read of this scam or that one, but I got a first hand account of one about a month or so ago. I have been trying to sell seven brand new Anderson storm windows for a while and finally, someone contacted me about them. They said they wanted them and the deal was done. Well, we emailed each other back and forth and it slowly progressively got suspicious until he told me that his bank had mistakenly cut a bank draft for $2,500.00 instead of the $500.00 that I was asking. He said to cash the check, take an additional $100 for my troubles and send him back the balance and then he would have a company come to pick up the windows. Classic scam deal 101. I thought that it ended right there until a few weeks after that when a UPS truck pulled up to me while I was at my mailbox and handed me an envelope with this check inside. I honestly didn't make the connection at first. I'm saving this as a souvenir and a reminder to remain cautious when dealing with unknown characters.

Tell him his company can pick up the merchandise and the money at the same time, and they will have to pick it up from your work (a local police dept), or mail him, postage due, a box of monopoly money. If it is going out of the country, put a high value on it, so he has to pay extra taxes.:D