PDA

View Full Version : Touched by LOML's Concern - I think

Larry Nall
03-09-2008, 9:21 PM
I’ve been in the market for a cabinet saw for over a year.
There are none for sale in Tallahassee so whenever I travel, I stop by the woodworking stores to pet their saws. The LOML often comes along. I’m not entirely sure if she’s being supportive of my hobby or just keeping an eye on me.

I was enthralled by the SawStop but it was way too expensive. LOML agreed. The ‘how much are my fingers worth’ argument didn’t get much traction.

The next saw down the list was the Powermatic 2000. Borderline cost wise, perhaps doable, if on sale. I watched several sites for a year and didn’t see it vary a penny.

Then the Deluxe Xacta saw came out. It had most of the features I wanted. I have a couple of Jet tools that have worked out well, so I decided it would do. The March 1st Woodcraft sale came along, so I called the nearest store a few hours away intending to buy the Jet. Bummer, the Deluxe Xacta is backordered, but as luck would have it, they did have a Powermatic in stock. I guess it’ll have to do.

So, this weekend LOML and I went over to pick it up. When we get it home and in the shop (pictures to follow), she comes in and says, “Sorry we couldn’t get you the SawStop, but I got you someting else instead.” She hands me a little rubber hose.

“What’s this?” I ask.

“It’s a tourniquet.”

I’m still not sure it that was meant to be a joke or if she was serious. I try not to ask too many questions.

Jim Becker
03-09-2008, 9:33 PM
LOL! Ya gotta admit, she does understand that saw thing! Now, what are you going to buy her as a treat after she helps you move the new saw into your shop?

Larry Nall
03-09-2008, 9:41 PM
She's got a long list, believe me!

J. Z. Guest
03-09-2008, 9:55 PM
She sounds like a winner in more ways than one.

Good story, and I hope you enjoy the Powermatic.

David G Baker
03-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Larry,
How about getting her a first aid kit, a nurses uniform and a pager because she will more than likely be the first responder if you ever need the tourniquet. :D

Terry Teadtke
03-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I was informed by LOML that I will be getting a Saw Stop if I’m going to be continuing woodworking after dadoing my finger last year. I finally saw the Saw Stop in person over the weekend at Woodcrafters and that is one nice saw! Looks like I’m going to order the 5hp left tilting saw. My only major concern is the fence. I’ve used a Delta Unifence for years and am curious how accurate the Saw Stop fence is. Any feedback on the fence from current Say Stop owners?

Terry Teadtke

Mike Heidrick
03-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Terry, the SS Bies clone fence is as good as the Unifence. I also made the switch from Unifence to SS fence. Now I do like my Incra LS fence on the router table so do not count that option out for a potential TS fence. Otherwise the Bies clone Sawstop fence is great!

Terry Teadtke
03-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks Mike.

Terry

Jerry Mah
03-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks Mike.

Terry
Terry-

Have you considered popping your Unifence onto your new Sawstop?

The only one I've seen on the net that I've seen people use with the Sawstop is the Incra. My current favorite Bies clone is the Steelcity fence, I found it fairly smooth.

Terry Teadtke
03-10-2008, 1:15 AM
I've thought about using my Unifence on the Saw Stop but I am open to using a new fence as well. Besides that, I think the Delta blue would clash with the Saw Stop red and black and we all know how important it is to be color coordinated in our shops.

Terry

Jim Becker
03-10-2008, 8:09 AM
Terry...they have this kewel product out there. Spray paint. :D Why give up the wonderful UniFence when you can make it look right at home on the black beauty?

Terry Teadtke
03-10-2008, 3:09 PM
I think I'm going to go with the Saw Stop fence and see how I like it for a while. I can always install my Unifence on the Saw Stop if I need to. I was going to just sell my old Delta Contractor's saw and the Unifence but I think I'll keep it and use it for dadoing (as long as I keep my fingers out of the way). In the past I have had a little trouble keeping the Unifence adjusted correctly at times and it didn't always want to lock on the rail.

I like your idea about spray paint Jim, I'll be the only one in Portland with a black Unifence. Now that would be cool!

Terry