PDA

View Full Version : Big Hunk of Mahogany

Thomas Bennett
03-09-2008, 8:48 PM
I’ve had this Honduras Mahogany board for about 10-12 years. I found it in a batch of graded lumber I ordered from a wholesaler. I was astonished at the size when I first saw it. The truck driver stated it certainly was a wide one, but not that uncommon. It’s 32” wide and is now 72 inches long. It was a 10 footer. Over the years when I needed a piece of Mahogany, I would chop off a little…..I regret that now!
Since I have returned to turning I decided to make something round out of it. I glued up a few poplar blanks (with Titebond) to practice turning something big. I had to build an outboard set-up for my lathe. I made these two platters…saucers…birdbaths…whatever. I have two more poplar “prototypes” glued up and ready for more practice. I might make a table top. I just can’t make up my mind. Anyone have any ideas?

Brian Effinger
03-09-2008, 9:28 PM
If it were mine, I don't think I'd cut it up more & turn it, but instead use it as a rectangular table top. 32" is a little narrow, so maybe I'd frame it with a contrasting wood to pad it out to 40 to 44 inches. Just my 2 cents though.

Gary Herrmann
03-09-2008, 9:31 PM
Agree with Brian. Coffee table.

John Gornall
03-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Great piece for a pie crust table - turn and then carve - then a tilt top base. An item on my list - I'll be looking for a piece of mahogany that size some day soon.

Scott Hubl
03-10-2008, 4:51 AM
Nice and BIG.

Can I see some more pics of your outboard set up ?