PDA

View Full Version : Router as a drum sander?

John Finley
03-09-2008, 8:35 PM
I am in need of a drum sander but can't afford to buy one right now. Can I use my router (in a table) as a drum sander? I have a Bosch 1617 with a variable speed. I assume I would slow the speed down, but not sure.

Pat Germain
03-09-2008, 8:40 PM
I'm reminded of Arnold Schwarzeneger in the movie "Predator" when he suddenly punches the alien and it just gets mad. He looks to the screen and says, "Bad idea!"

Actually, there be a safe and effective way to do this. I just don't happen to have any idea what that method would be.

Anthony Whitesell
03-09-2008, 8:42 PM
Interesting concept. With the 1/4" collet the drums should fit. The manual lists the RPM versus the speed dial numbers, I don't know what RPM to run the drums at. I would think around 2-3000. I'm not sure #1 is that slow. Due to the airflow through the motor that causes so much of an issue when using the 1617 in an enclosed table, it might make a heck of a mess. Do you have a drill press?

Ben Rafael
03-09-2008, 8:51 PM
I'd imagine that the slowest speed on the router would be way too fast.
Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

John Finley
03-09-2008, 8:53 PM
No drill press. I am just getting serious about woodworking. My current project (bed) has already justified ;) a tablesaw, router, and planer. I don't think the wife will go for any other tools right away.

Pat Germain
03-09-2008, 8:58 PM
Would such a configuration be similar to the sanding tools on a Dremel?

Bruce Page
03-09-2008, 8:59 PM
How slow can you slow a router down to? Not slow enough. You’ll likely destroy the spindle bearings as soon as you switch it on because the sanding spindle will not be balanced close enough to handle the RPM. You also run the risk of the sanding spindle flying apart due to the centrifugal forces. Another show stopper, providing everything stays together…you’ll smoke any wood that touches the paper at that RPM.

glenn bradley
03-09-2008, 9:03 PM
John, walk away from that idea. The low end speed on your router is 8,000 RPM. On the rare occasion that I use a drum on my DP, I run about 350 RPM and it is plenty fast. I would use a hand drill first. Be safe.

John Finley
03-09-2008, 9:07 PM
I knew there was a reason that little voice in my head was saying " are you sure about this". Thanks for the input. Looks like I will be coming up with another plan.

Lance Norris
03-09-2008, 9:20 PM
I know you said "no new tools" but if you buy a Mini lathe and a 1/2" chuck on a Morse Taper, you have a variable speed sander AND a lathe for not much more than the price of a spindle sander. If you have problems justifying new tool purchases with SWMBO, you need to make her gifts with the new tool ;). Its worked every time for me.

Greg Hines, MD
03-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Chuck the spindle into your regular drill, clamp it to the leg of your workbench or the edge of your saw table, and then you will have plenty of support for your workpiece and not ruin a perfectly good router and workpiece at the same time.

Doc