PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using their TS as a workbench?

Wade Lippman
03-09-2008, 7:44 PM
I am really short on space. Sadly, I need my TS to do double duty as a work bench.

I have already put a router table into the left wing and made a fixture to clamp onto it to hold wood for biscuiting.

Any other clever ideas? What I would really like to do is make an overlay that would let me use it as a Festool MFT, but would settle for less.

Doug Shepard
03-09-2008, 7:51 PM
I've used mine as a workbench more than I care to admit. My first real workbench (that's not a Workmate) is about a month or so from being completed. I've done a lot of hand routing and ROS sandinf on top of mine using a pair of Back-to-Back clamps with the bottom clamping portion hooked onto the TS top.

David DeCristoforo
03-09-2008, 7:52 PM
I think that by wording your question a bit differently, you would generate a much shorter thread. Change it to "Anyone not using their TS as a workbench?"

;)
YM

Mike Cutler
03-09-2008, 7:55 PM
I think that by wording your question a bit differently, you would generate a much shorter thread. Change it to "Anyone not using their TS as a workbench?"

;)
YM

Exactly!;)

Wade
I keep 3/8" plywood on top of my tables saws when not in use. They are always being used as a big level surface for something, and not always woodworking related.

Peter Quinn
03-09-2008, 7:58 PM
I have often contemplated removing my TS outfeed and outboard table in order to motivate myself to construct a proper work bench. Instead I have slowly been morphing my outfeed table into a quasi-work bench which becomes a problem when I have the table full and need to use the saw!

Of course any bench with a 500# iron anchor at one end is bound to be somewhat stable, and its a short walk from my saw to my favorite work table! It feels dirty to use it that way yet I still do.

Rick Gifford
03-09-2008, 8:03 PM
Any horizontal place I can find becomes a workbench. Tablesaw included!

William Nimmo
03-09-2008, 8:07 PM
I just started using a piece of 1 inch ridgid insulation 4x8 sheet ($18.00)
on top of my overly abused sawstop 52 inch table.
Great for cutting down plywood with my festool ts55 and rails.

Bruce Wrenn
03-09-2008, 8:43 PM
The absolute worst use of a table saw for a work bench that I have ever seen was in a middle school. System had done away with shop classes, and art department was using a PM 66 for a stand to do painting and paper mache. Saw looked like a flock of sea gulls roosted on it. Then puked in living color!

Bob Rufener
03-09-2008, 8:44 PM
I usually have so much crap on my work bench that I need to use the table saw for a lot of things-including staining and varnishing. I do put a plastic piece over the table when I do it. I have such a limited space workshop that I have to do it this way.

Pat Germain
03-09-2008, 8:44 PM
The only time my table saw doesn't have something on it is just before I start cutting. It's a workbench, assembly table and a storage area. Certainly, this is less than optimal but so is my shop.

By the way, did you know Titebond II is a floor wax and a dessert topping? ;)

Michael Lutz
03-09-2008, 8:57 PM
I use mine as an auxilliary workbench also. I do most of my assembly on it, due to the lack of a dead flat surface on my main workbench. Glue scrapes up off the melamine extension table real well. I also put foam across the TS and workbench and cut down sheet stock with rails and circular saw. I put down some newspaper and finish the projects on the TS.

Mike

glenn bradley
03-09-2008, 9:09 PM

;)
YM

That would be me. I do have a gnarly particle board topped outfeed table, a rolling worktable and a workbench that all get abused. My TS is a TS and the occasional reference surface if I am checking for really flat.

Now, my old contractor saw; it was definitely a workbench. My rolling worktable was my first and last project built on the floor. It took over the floor and the TS's roles as workbench. I also don't stack grocery bags on the hood of the car while I fish for my keys. :rolleyes:

Peter Quadarella
03-09-2008, 9:14 PM
Here is an excellent bench - sturdy, flat, portable, versatile:
http://www.blumtool.com/pages/benchhorse.html

It's not cheap, but it is well made and everything Gary Blum advertises it as. If you have no room, you could fold it up and open it up when you need it. This would also force you to keep things off of it ;).

David Parker
03-09-2008, 9:41 PM
Hi Wade,

I'm also designing a small shop (12x15) and would like to include a table saw with outfeed table if possible. I know I could make a fold-down outfeed table, but using the table saw space as an auxiliary workbench would be ideal. To that end, I came across this interesting idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZyguUCdw4s

I thought the concept of wheeling a large outfeed table over your table saw would be perfect in my situation. Keeps the footprint small and allows double-duty for the space when I'm not using the table saw.

Dave

Bill Huber
03-09-2008, 9:57 PM
Hi Wade,

I'm also designing a small shop (12x15) and would like to include a table saw with outfeed table if possible. I know I could make a fold-down outfeed table, but using the table saw space as an auxiliary workbench would be ideal. To that end, I came across this interesting idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZyguUCdw4s

I thought the concept of wheeling a large outfeed table over your table saw would be perfect in my situation. Keeps the footprint small and allows double-duty for the space when I'm not using the table saw.

Dave

That is a great idea, the only problem is I don't have the space to move the table to when I want to use the saw....

J. Z. Guest
03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
It sounds like maybe your saw's too big for your shop.

How small is your shop, exactly? Mine's about 10x12' or so, and I get by without using my (portable) saw as a workbench. I just fold down the saw, stand it in the corner and use the Workmate, if my regular workbench is full. Contrary to popular belief, jobsite saws can be quite good, and are well worth considering for those who are space-challenged.

I do spend a lot of darned time moving things around to make space for what I'm doing, but that is the price of having motorcycles in this climate.

Bill Huber
03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I have two sheets of 3/4 MDF 2'x4' that I use a work tables, one for the saw and one for the router table. There are times that I have the MDF sheets on both tools when I am putting things together.

Gene O. Carpenter
03-09-2008, 10:06 PM
;)
YM

This SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE QUESTION!! If'n it twer'nt for my 27X54 TS I wouldn't have a work bench at all. I've used it for so many things that I have bent the front 3 of the 1/8"X4"X6" caster mounting pads on my homade mobility cart so I now have to rig up my chainfall and lift the whole TS & ext up high enough to remove the cart..Straighten the pads and mig 1/4"X4"X6" pads onto then, drill and tap,re paint then re-install casters and lower the TS back onto the cart..Looks like about a 6 hour job that could have been avoided had I used 1/4" plate to begin with OR didn't use the TS as a WB!!

Karl Brogger
03-09-2008, 10:20 PM
I throw a sheet of 3/4 something on top when we're assembling face frames. I work out of 40x40 area. It's like working in a phone booth when there is a big job going.

http://a899.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/116/l_8642a7fa8864d8e35a65e852f241cd92.jpg

Bill Wyko
03-09-2008, 11:31 PM
If you go to workshops and look at mine, you'll see that my tablesaw is a work bench, assembly table and a coctail bar once in a while too. Luckly glue comes off plastic laminate easily.:D

Tom Henderson2
03-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Here is an excellent bench - sturdy, flat, portable, versatile:
http://www.blumtool.com/pages/benchhorse.html

It's not cheap, but it is well made and everything Gary Blum advertises it as. If you have no room, you could fold it up and open it up when you need it. This would also force you to keep things off of it ;).

Dang... that bench horse looks pretty good. Like many folks, my garage does quadruple duty as a place to park my car, a laundry & utility room, a general household storage area as well as a place for non-WW houshold repair, etc.

I'd dearly love to have a bench that I can store up against one wall and this may be the one. The Festool tables look very, very good are much m ore expensive.

Thanks for the point-out; the Bench Horse deserves some close scrutiny.

-Tom H.

George Bowen
03-09-2008, 11:57 PM
I used to, then this weekend I threw some 1/4 melamine ontop of my 2'x3' wood scrap bin thats on casters and used it as an assembly table and outfeed table.

Soooo, now I am building a 56"x36" or so mobile assembly table/storage that will also be my outfeed table.

Just finished 8' of 7' tall storage cabinets wth a 40" bay for my router table to store away in.

Gotta park my wifes car in there so that means every thing stored against the walls.

John Karam
03-10-2008, 12:29 AM
i have yet to build any work benches in my shop so im currently using my....

table saw, planer outfeed tables, jointer tables, bandsaw table...

and sadly im not even kidding...... no tricks to offer tho...i just be sure that the table is clear before i kick on any of the tools :-p

Brian Penning
03-10-2008, 5:50 AM
I throw a sheet of 3/4 something on top when we're assembling face frames. I work out of 40x40 area. It's like working in a phone booth when there is a big job going.

Can you see this dot"."? That dot is the world's smallest violin playing just for you! ;);).
Jeez! 1600 sq ft is like working in a phone booth?? Gimmee a break! :):p:rolleyes:

Russ Filtz
03-10-2008, 6:30 AM
The absolute worst use of a table saw for a work bench that I have ever seen was in a middle school. System had done away with shop classes, and art department was using a PM 66 for a stand to do painting and paper mache. Saw looked like a flock of sea gulls roosted on it. Then puked in living color!

Should have offered to take that ugly thing off their hands in exchange for a cheap drafting table!

James Suzda
03-10-2008, 6:40 AM
<SNIP> Any other clever ideas? What I would really like to do is make an overlay that would let me use it as a Festool MFT, but would settle for less.
Table saws make perfect welding tables. They have metal tops so you get a good ground, are usually heavy so you can pound on them.:D

Seriously I think everyone uses their saw for a table. All the way from an end table to set your favorite brew on, to an assembly table.

Al Willits
03-10-2008, 7:58 AM
I have the Delta Hybrid saw and I made a outfeed table off the back that's as wide as the saw and the original table that attaches to the right side of the saw, and its as deep as I could go and still have it swing down out of the way when not in use.
Used a set of door hinges and home made folding legs.

Doesn't get folded much as there's usually something on it, makes a great spot to put glued pieces on while they set up or just a good spot to put stuff on. :)

Al

Karl Brogger
03-10-2008, 8:07 AM
Can you see this dot"."? That dot is the world's smallest violin playing just for you! ;);).
Jeez! 1600 sq ft is like working in a phone booth?? Gimmee a break! :):p:rolleyes:

That picture is about a year old. Since then I've added a edge sander, widebelt sander, two shapers, a Castle machine, and a linebore. It gets crowded quick with two people working. If I had a another 1000ft I'd pick up another, if not two more, tablesaws. We'd also have room for a frame table. I've had cabinets literally all the way to the ceiling, (12ft) front to back with just enough room to use the equipment. On bigger jobs we build all our doors/drawers first now because its too much of a hassle working around boxs. I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to put up a 7500 sq/ft building and lease out 2/3 of it right now, and kick out renters as I grow.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-10-2008, 9:05 AM

;)
YM

lol.......

Dylan Smith
03-10-2008, 10:56 AM
There's a saw under there...?

I thought it was so heavy just to make the bench more stable.

Hmmm. ;)

Lori Kleinberg
03-10-2008, 4:22 PM
Isn't that what they are for :eek: :D :o

David DeCristoforo
03-10-2008, 5:45 PM
"Isn't that what they are for..."

It's the blade that confuses everyone....

YM

Dylan Smith
03-10-2008, 7:40 PM
"Isn't that what they are for..."

It's the blade that confuses everyone....

Blade? Oh, yeah, you turn that wheelie thing there and, hey, wow, it's a big ole upside down circular saw!

Neat.

;)

Danny Thompson
03-10-2008, 9:31 PM
I recently replaced my dedicated 3' x 7' workbench with a cabinet-stlye outfeed table that doubles as a workbench!

Jim Mims
03-11-2008, 8:59 AM
Dang... that bench horse looks pretty good. Like many folks, my garage does quadruple duty as a place to park my car, a laundry & utility room, a general household storage area as well as a place for non-WW houshold repair, etc.

I'd dearly love to have a bench that I can store up against one wall and this may be the one. The Festool tables look very, very good are much m ore expensive.
Thanks for the point-out; the Bench Horse deserves some close scrutiny.
-Tom H.
The last issue of Shop Notes had a very nice folding workbench that I liked. Now I use a hollow core closet door on sawhorses when ripping sheet goods and would like to build a torsion box design I've seen for that purpose.

LOL, I did a google search for folding workbenches and it brought me right back here to SC and a 1995 thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17269
Here's the shop notes bench: http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/098/extras/folding-worktable/
- Jim

Wilbur Pan
03-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm really surprised this thread hasn't been moved to the Turner's Forum. Most turners use their table saw a lot, if by "table saw" you mean "bowl blank storage platform". ;)

Kyle Kraft
03-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't. Matter of fact I won't even lay a c-clamp down on the saw surface. Hammers are not allowed within a 5 foot radius. The extension wing with the router lift serves as a place to rest a push stick, safety glasses, earmuffs and the tape measure....does that bring it to workbench status?:rolleyes:

Sam Yerardi
03-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it but TS surface is perfect for using a flat surface for sharpening, truing the sole on a hand plane, etc. Usually I'll use a sheet of safety glass but a TS surface works great also.

Mark Singer
03-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I have a 4' x 8' outfeed table from my TS and it doubles as an assembly table and also finishing table. It works well. I try to keep the area close to the saw free for cutting. The large sawing is already done when the large pieces are broken down before assembly and detailing begins.

Chris Padilla
03-11-2008, 3:23 PM
Hmmm, what is the first word in table saw? :confused:

Chris Padilla
03-11-2008, 3:24 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it but TS surface is perfect for using a flat surface for sharpening, truing the sole on a hand plane, etc. Usually I'll use a sheet of safety glass but a TS surface works great also.

Naw, I use my 16" J/P for that! ;)

Julian Wong
03-11-2008, 3:56 PM
Sadly, I use my workbench as a table saw... not a the table saw as my workbench...
Somehow every inch of my unisaw seems to be filled with something. usually can't see metal unless I'm using the blade ;)