PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0570 bandsaw. decisions...

Marcus Isaacson
03-09-2008, 5:20 PM
Hi, If I could get a little bit of input here that would be great.
I almost pulled the trigger on getting the G0555 bandsaw, but then saw that the 570 was on sale for $550. It has the 1.5 hp motor, cast iron wheels, and welded steel frame over the 0555. It has the 8.25" resaw height vs the 6" or 12" height with the riser. Even with the riser the 555 is only about $95 less than the 570 shipped to my door. I guess I can't see myself needing the full 12" of resaw height that would be offered with the riser block, but will probably use 8".

Besides my bosch jigsaw, this will be my first major tool purchase and I was just hoping to get a little more input on the actual saw. I only have 1 220 socket available and I was going to save that for the eventual table saw (and alternating with the dryer), so the larger 17"+ saws are pretty much out of the question. Not to mention that the 513 would be another $220 to my door. I could almost pick up the miter saw I want for that and money is a bit tight.

So, do you think the 570 is worth the extra $95 over the 555 plus riser? When the saw was 700, I would say no way, but this price point has me wondering. Thoughts?

Brian Kent
03-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Marcus,

I don't want to leave you hanging all day. Your questions started my searching this evening. I had never seen that saw before. It seems like at that new price point it fills a really good niche.

Given the good experiences with Grizzly and the solid features, it seems like a pretty good idea. I looked up Grizzly G0570 on the Sawmillcreek Search button and found a number of older posts. It looks like the G0570 is an older model that is being brought back at a lower price.

Looks pretty good to me.

Brian Kent

Lance Norris
03-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Marcus, the only problem I see with the 570 is max cutting height. The 8 1/4" is a little small, and you will never be able to raise this because it is a welded steel frame saw. I have 2 bandsaws, a steel frame saw and a cast iron saw. The steel frame is a Grizzly G0457. It has 10" of resaw height and that is the minimum I would recommend. I didnt think I would ever need a riser for my smaller saw, but Ive gotten into bandsawn boxes and I like having a small blade on the cast saw and a large resaw blade on the bigger saw. Its nice not to have to keep changing blades back and forth. Well, guess what? 6" isnt enough for what I want, and so Ive got a riser block kit on order.

I think your best bet is, if you are considering the G0570, spend $25 more and get the G0555X and save your money for the riser kit if you need it. The 555x has the same specs as the 570 and isnt limited to 8" resaw height. You might not think you will need more that 8" of height, but if you do, then your stuck. The 555x with riser is more money than the 570, but youll get 4" more resaw height, and that can be very important.

Dave MacArthur
03-10-2008, 3:26 AM
I concur with Lance.

Don Dorn
03-10-2008, 6:07 AM
Possibly this mayl help, I have the G0555 that I bought when they first came out - then the riser a couple years later. The riser turned it into a very useful saw and even though some don't suggest it, it can handle a 3/4" blade without any issues.

Now the "but" part. Given the original posters options, I would go with the 570. It's not that I'm unhappy, but I find great use in a bandsaw and you should only need to buy one. The extra HP, cast wheels, heavy frame is all it would take for me to make an easy decision over $95.00. Yes, the 12" resaw capacity is nice but in reality, I don't think I've ever used it at the max, but yet very often go over 6". I think the 570 is a great comprimise and I would go for it.

Marcus Isaacson
03-10-2008, 5:15 PM
Thanks for the input. I am still not sold on weather or not I am going to go with this saw, but if I do, I will have to pick it up quick. Customer service says that this thing is being discontinued and they are selling off their remaining stock.