PDA

View Full Version : PM2000 Owners - I need a measurement

Lewis Cobb
03-09-2008, 4:10 PM
Hi -

I am out in the workshop with a tape measure dreaming again. My wife asked me "what are you measuring the floor for?" - I just mumbled.... but the reality is I am trying to see how to fit a PM2000 in there :D

I need a quick couple of measurements from some kind soul that has a 50" wide fence PM2000 - can someone tell me what the distance is from the left to right of the tables section only - not including the fence rail? The specs list the width as 85" but this includes the overhang of the rails on each side of the table.

Also - the amount the fence rail hangs over on each side of the on the left and right - these 2 measurements look to be a little different from each other in the pics on the powermatic site but maybe it's just the angle of the picture.

Thanks ! Armed with info I can determine if I am going to be able to nagivate this ship around and dock it at various places in the workshop !

Cheers,
Lewis

Frank Snyder
03-09-2008, 4:31 PM
Hi Lewis,

I measured my PM2000 50" from left to right tables and it is 75" exactly. The overhang of the rails on the left side is about 3-1/2", while the overhang on the right is about 6". The rail is about 84-1/2".

You could always go with the 30" if you find yourself in a bind. I rarely use the fence for anything beyond 30".

Frank

Lewis Cobb
03-09-2008, 4:34 PM
Hi Lewis,

I measured my PM2000 50" from left to right tables and it is 75" exactly. The overhang of the rails on the left side is about 3-1/2", while the overhang on the right is about 6". The rail is about 84-1/2".

You could always go with the 30" if you find yourself in a bind. I rarely use the fence for anything beyond 30".

Frank

Hi Frank - Thanks very much for this info. I think it's going to fit without too much fussing. I had a brainstorm after sending the post and did a bit of re-shuffling out there. I can say one thing - eveything in that shop is going to be going on casters before too long - it just makes things so much easier to re-configure on the fly.

Thanks again,
Lewis

Frank Snyder
03-09-2008, 4:43 PM
Glad to hear it's going to fit. It's a great saw.

Make sure you order the low-profile riving knife and the dado throat plate. I use those accessories quite a bit. The included miter gauge isn't the greatest and mine was off a few degrees. There doesn't appear to be any way to adjust it either, so I just use my JessEm instead.

Raising and lowering the casters takes about a minute, though last I heard PM changed the gearing so it takes less turns now. You can also roll the saw off of the pallet using some 3/4" plywood and a 2x4 to act as a ramp. I did mine by myself.

Frank

Lewis Cobb
03-09-2008, 6:48 PM
Glad to hear it's going to fit. It's a great saw.

Make sure you order the low-profile riving knife and the dado throat plate. I use those accessories quite a bit. The included miter gauge isn't the greatest and mine was off a few degrees. There doesn't appear to be any way to adjust it either, so I just use my JessEm instead.

Raising and lowering the casters takes about a minute, though last I heard PM changed the gearing so it takes less turns now. You can also roll the saw off of the pallet using some 3/4" plywood and a 2x4 to act as a ramp. I did mine by myself.

Frank

ok - I got those items on the list as well. By the miter gauge being off, do you mean the scale on it? I mean, you can still set it to whatever angle as long as you don't rely on the scale, yes? I never trust those things anyway. About as accurate as the bevel gauges on the saw body.

I might have a few more specific questions as I go along so you might hear from me again - hope you don't mind.

Thanks for the help.

Lewis

Bob Feeser
03-09-2008, 6:57 PM
Hi -

I am out in the workshop with a tape measure dreaming again. My wife asked me "what are you measuring the floor for?" - I just mumbled.... but the reality is I am trying to see how to fit a PM2000 in there :D

Cheers,
Lewis

How you fit a PM2000 in your shop is see what the thinnest width is on the saw, then measure your doorway, then buy it, and slide it in. Figure out how to make it work later. This led to my problem. I was buying tools without the foggiest notion of how I was going to fit them in my tiny shop. Then I let out a wall, and tripled the size of the shop. It takes up a good part of my basement now. It's called tool buying mania. :)

Frank Snyder
03-09-2008, 7:01 PM
The indents on the miter gauge are off their respective degrees and they can't be calibrated as far as I can tell. The Zero indent (or 90 degrees) was not square to the blade, which is parallel to the miter slot. You can override the indents, but it's still unnerving on critical cuts. I just wouldn't trust the thing. You're better off with a aftermarket miter gauge.

Fire away with the questions. I'm happy to help.

Frank

Lewis Cobb
03-09-2008, 7:02 PM
How you fit a PM2000 in your shop is see what the thinnest width is on the saw, then measure your doorway, then buy it, and slide it in. Figure out how to make it work later. This led to my problem. I was buying tools without the foggiest notion of how I was going to fit them in my tiny shop. Then I let out a wall, and tripled the size of the shop. It takes up a good part of my basement now.

Yessir - now here's a man that's travelled many of the same roads as me in the past....:D