PDA

View Full Version : Latest Project

Teresa Jones
03-17-2004, 4:08 PM
Hi Guys,

I have tried to post these pictures for some time and I kept getting an error message. I finally figured out that although I thought I had resized the photos to an appropriate size, the file size was still too large.

Anyway, the project is a Towering Tomes Bookcase according to the plans I purchased from Wood Magazine. This is my first attempt at following a plan to the letter to complete a project. I used Lyptus solid and plywood components.

I finished the case with one coat of Dark Walnut Danish Oil followed by four coats of Natural Danish Oil.

This project certainly helped my router skills, which were basically zilch when I embarked upon this journey.

I am now in the process of building a router table for the shop!!

Take care,

TJ

Dick Parr
03-17-2004, 4:37 PM
Very Nice TJ!

John Miliunas
03-17-2004, 5:07 PM
Well, I'd like to say that your journey ended up at a very pleasant destination! :D Very, very nice. And, if that's your first project with extensive router use, you done good...Real good! Thanks much for the post and don't forget to give us some more pics of the completed router table, as well! :cool:

Howard Rosenberg
03-17-2004, 5:07 PM
great taste.
You did a sensational job on your book case.
Kudos!
Keep em coming.
Howard
BTW - I love the Frank LLoyd Wright-type lamp.
Did you make that too?

Dave Anderson NH
03-17-2004, 5:40 PM
As an old friend of mine would say, "Ya dun goode". With a result like that your confidence must be increasing daily. Now how many hand tools got used?

Martin Shupe
03-17-2004, 5:53 PM
Very nice, TJ!

Steve Jenkins
03-17-2004, 5:56 PM
Excellent job TJ. It really looks good. Steve

Jeff Skory
03-17-2004, 7:40 PM
Nice job TJ. One can never have too many bookcases. :D

So are you going to follow a specific plan for your router table? I am just starting to learn about mine - bought one of Bill Hylton's books and am making my way through it.

Rick Lasita
03-17-2004, 8:03 PM
Very nice looking bookcase TJ, wonderful job, I too like the lamp and shade sitting next to it. Well done, Rick

Larry Browning
03-17-2004, 8:47 PM
That looks great! Coincidently, I am building the very same bookcase. I posted some pics I took yesterday. I should have mine finished next week. I had never made cove molding on the table saw before. It was a lot eaiser than I thought it was going to be. This sure was a fun project for me. I hope mine turns out as well as yours did.

Larry

Jim Becker
03-17-2004, 9:36 PM
GREAT looking bookcase, TJ! Wanna' make some for me??? :D

Tyler Howell
03-17-2004, 10:54 PM
TJ
Did you and Larry B. share design notes???
Too Nice

Doh! Guess so Larry confirmed it.:o

Eric Sanford
03-18-2004, 11:53 AM
It's beautiful, Teresa! Congrats on a job well done!

Eric

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Teresa
Very well executed and extremely nice.
I appreciate the detail that you incorporated.
Daniel :cool:

Teresa Jones
03-18-2004, 4:54 PM
Thanks for all your kind compliments. I just love this hobby and I hope to keep getting better by paying attention to you all.

I am not brave enough to shoot any closeups like Larry.

I think his skill level is way beyond mine, but I am getting there! I definitely thought it turned out well for my experience level.

I have been wondering what this bookcase would sell for at retail. My material alone was $300 plus.

Dave, I did use a couple of hand tools. I used my spokeshave to shape the top piece. I used some of my hand planes for finishing up the solid wood pieces. I also used cabinet scrapers to smooth out the saw marks on the cove molding.

I got the Melamine for the router table today at lunch. I will post some pictures when I get it finished. I ordered Norm's plan. I noticed it is remarkably similar to the one in Bill Hylton's book.

Thanks again, everyone,

TJ

Larry Browning
03-18-2004, 5:40 PM
Teresa,
I am charging the lawyer $550, but I am told he stole it from me. Mine is made from cherry plywood and trim and I have about $250 in it. Like I said, I think I'm making about 50 cents an hour or so. Because, "I'M THE SLOWEST WOODWORKER ON THE PLANET".

Larry

Chris Padilla
03-18-2004, 6:31 PM
No way, Larrry...I'M the slowest ww'er on the planet!! :D

Fred Voorhees
03-18-2004, 8:25 PM
Teresa, very nice job. Clean look but still very "stately". I could swear that I was just looking at this very project in Wood.

Glenn Clabo
03-18-2004, 9:02 PM
Hey TJ..
You didn't let me get in a great job before you thanked everyone! Along with doing this level of work you have to learn to bask in the glory...until all the reviews are in. :D