PDA

View Full Version : Dowelmax -- purchase info request

Ray Schafer
03-09-2008, 1:41 PM
I some questions:

1) Should I buy the metric or standard version? (I know the answer probably is "it depends," but would like your thoughts.)

2) Can I buy it from a store or do I have to buy it online? I would like to see it before I buy it.

3) Should I buy the extra 1/4" kit?

4) Does it ever go on sale?

Ray

Scott Brihn
03-09-2008, 1:58 PM
I've got the imperial version but the bits used are metric. I have not seen Dowelmax on sale, nor have I seen it available through any of the usual suspects. I bought mine direct from Dowelmax and paid full price. To save on shipping and increase capability I ordered the 1/4" kit at the same time.

Glenn Clabo
03-09-2008, 3:21 PM
My comments in blue...

I some questions:

1) Should I buy the metric or standard version? (I know the answer probably is "it depends," but would like your thoughts.)
I don't think it makes a real difference in the results...so depends on you.;)

2) Can I buy it from a store or do I have to buy it online? I would like to see it before I buy it.
Direct from them...or if you go through the SMC Amazon Store (see teh "SHOP" button at the top) SMC gets some help.

I did...and have used it about as much as the 3/8".

Doubt it...it's a VERY well made tool..that must cost some Loonies to make.

One more note...I used it on some door today and still can't say I regret buying it.
Ray

Ray Schafer
03-09-2008, 3:37 PM
Thanks for the help.

Phil Thien
03-09-2008, 8:34 PM
In terms of the metric/imperial question, I would think the imperial dowels would be easier to find in a pinch if you run out? At least on this side of the pond.

Art Mulder
03-09-2008, 9:02 PM
I some questions:

Ray

1- Everyone I know of has got the imperial version.

2- online. They go to some shows, but I don't know which. (check their website)

3- omitting the 1/4" kit is the one regret I've heard from several people. I guess you just need to consider if you're ever going to want to use it in stock skinnier than 3/4" ??

4- It just was on sale. Last weekend (Feb 29-Mar2) they were running a no-GST (Canadian federal sales tax) and free shipping. I thought it only was for us Canadians, but I've heard of at least one person in the US who got the free shipping deal.

It's a very well built jig. It has to be, in order to work. Search the forums for threads and you'll find lots of happy customers. It's built domestically, which is probably part of the price

J. Z. Guest
03-09-2008, 10:12 PM
I got the free shipping on mine, and didn't even know there was a deal. They just refunded the money through Amazon. What a nice surprise that was!

Get the imperial version, since you won't be able to find metric dowels easily.

Hold off on the 1/4" kit, as this is the only feasible way to keep the expense down. When you need it, THEN buy it. As far as I know, the only thing you save by buying it with the regular kit is shipping.

You'll have to buy it online or at a show.

It never really goes on sale, but the price does seem to go up every year. So I guess you could say it is on sale now, hehehe.

I just did some glue-ups today. Some with a Dowel Pro jig and some with Kreg. Kreg worked OK but you really have to be careful to clamp it flat so the screws don't give it an offset when they're going into the other pieces. The DowelPro jig is pretty good, but I still did not manage to get the boards flush. I'm in for some sanding now. I wish my DM would just arrive already!

I just didn't have the patience to hold up my project for the DM.