PDA

View Full Version : Hate the Form, Love the Wood

Tim A. Mitchell
03-09-2008, 11:45 AM
This is a piece of Ambrosia Maple left over from a bowl I did recently. Yesterday, I turned it into a twig pot. I had so many "catchy" design oppertunities, I allmost wanted to burn the piece.:mad:

The top I find to be too wide. I had it gripped in the check with some padding, and the tailstock up to clean the bottom, when I got my final design oppertunity most of the way to the neck. If I had a lot of extra money, that gouge would have sailed accross the garage:eek:

Anyway, the wood is so nice, I decided to finish it anyway. It is about 3.25" H by 2.5" W and finished with BLO.

Any additional critique is appreciated.

Jim Becker
03-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Why not remount it and turn the rim down a little? The bottom of the form is more or less fine...it's just the top that is "heavy".

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Tim - I agree with Jim - remount it, turn the top down a little and it will look great!

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2008, 1:15 PM
Ditto the above. Trim down the lip and it will be a beauty.

Tim A. Mitchell
03-09-2008, 3:40 PM
Well, based on the way the turning went, It kind of scares me.:o

How would you suggest to remout it, and get it centered?

Allen Neighbors
03-09-2008, 6:51 PM
Tim, I like it... large top and all. :) If it scares you, don't get ulcers over it.
But. If you want to remount it, and turn the top down, it could be mounted with a jam-chuck... a cone-shaped hollowformbottom finishing chuck... the kind that has a rod mounted through it with a set screw to hold the rod (padded with leather) against the bottom - tailstock padded also. You could turn the top down quite close to the cone without damaging the form at all.
Hope this is more clear than mud... :)

Tom Sherman
03-10-2008, 8:32 AM
Tim you are right about the wood it is beautiful, the form I like too.