PDA

View Full Version : Recently completed ebonized walnut & bubinga table..

scott kinninger
03-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Well I started work on this thing about one year ago not too long after I got my new Grizzly 513X bandsaw, I wanted to make a table that required the bandsaw to make bent laminations and curved or shaped legs. This is my own design, but I did get the rough idea for shape of the legs from various pictures of other people's work I've found here on SMC and on the "other" wood working forum. Since I just kind of did this "on the fly" I had to make a LOT of test pieces with MDF each step along the way until I found one that I liked best, experimenting until I found the one I liked was quite time consuming. I ended up making 3 or 4 bending forms for the stretcher before I finally got it right, a couple test pieces for the shape of the bottom of the legs, 6 or 8 test pieces for the shape of the top of the legs and I think 5 test pieces for the top. I'm not real artsy so I have to sleep on some of these design ideas for a few days to determine if I really like them. The biggest challenge by far was coming up with some way to cut the tenons in the legs and the matching mortises in the stretchers at the angle required, this alone almost caused me to throw in the towel on this project but I just took my time and tried to thoroughly think it through.
The finish on the legs is two coats india ink sanding after each coat, then two coats of Zinseers clear shellac, and lastly two brushed on coats of Waterlox original. The top and stretcher got a few coats of orange dewaxed shellac followed by three coats Waterlox. It stands about 25-26 inches tall and the top is 15" diameter.
After each completed project I ask myself "If I did this again what would I do differently?". On this project I really like the look of the legs being angled backwards but it ended up making the table a little less stable than I anticipated. This was only supposed to be a 3 degree angle but for some reason (error on my part I'm sure) it sure looks like a lot more. Making the leg perpendicular to the floor would probably be a better design.
Thanks for looking and I welcome all comments. Scott

Brian Kerley
03-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Interesting design. Personally, I like it. I do have one question though. If you were going to ebonize wood, why walnut? Why not go for something cheaper, like Alder, etc? Granted, wood prices vary (about a 2x difference between walnut and alder), you didn't use a lot of it, and you might have just had it laying around, so I was just curious on the choice. Thanks and nice looking table!

Larry Fox
03-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I like it - very nice work. Contemplating the angles and curves makes my head hurt. :)

Jim Becker
03-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Very nice work!

scott kinninger
03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
My original intent wasn't to ebonize the legs, that idea came to me only a month or two ago. I got to thinking that walnut may not be a great match to the bubinga, especially over time if the walnut get lighter. I thought about that exact question and that's one of those things I'd do differently if I were to do it again.

Lori Kleinberg
03-09-2008, 6:05 PM
Very nice. Unusual design.

gary Zimmel
03-09-2008, 6:20 PM
Nice work. Different design, but I like it.

Thom Sturgill
03-09-2008, 6:32 PM
Nice table. I agree that ebonizing was a good decision, and I'm sure other woods would have worked better if you knew that was where you were going. I appreciate the design-as -you-go, because I generally do the same, though not with as good a result so far :rolleyes:.

I think that if the feet had flared to the outside, it would have helped the stability some, but I do like the look.

Jim Tobias
03-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Scott,
Nice piece! Unique design and I like it. IT wouldn't fit in everyone's house but that is becasue everyone's house is different!
I enjoy seeing woodworker's creating their own design and making it happen.
Nice!

Jim

Bill Wyko
03-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Very nice Scott. You've done a fine job on the design, finish and choice of woods. Congradulations on your success.

David Tiell
03-10-2008, 6:12 AM
I think that if the feet had flared to the outside, it would have helped the stability some, but I do like the look.

I was wondering about the stability also, with the base that much smaller than the top. But for looks, I REALLY like that table! Nice work!