PDA

View Full Version : HANDTOOLS - Recent Acquisitions

Jack Norfleet
03-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Bought these a couple of weeks ago. I have a total of $65 into the lot.

Stanley #6 Type 19. I already cleaned the body and sharpened the blade. Cuts great.

Stanley #78. No fence or depth gage. I will probably buy new parts from Stanley and keep it as a user.

Craftsman 3/4 chisel. Marked "Samson" on the blade.

Atkins saw. Short but useful.

Stanley brace with can full of bits. It is a #965 with a Sweetheart logo on the chuck. Ratchet works fine.

Stanley 20 1/2 compass plane. Kudos to Clint Jones for being a wealth of info. He told me what it was before I went to look at it. I didn't know what to look for and missed a crack just above the arrow. Only one of the ears is cracked and it seems pretty solid. I may sell it for parts, or try and jbweld the crack and use it. I haven't decided yet.

Vintage handtools are scarce in Central Florida so I think I did ok. Any advice on fixing the 20 1/2 would be appreciated.

Clint Jones
03-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Jack, The no.6 turned out alot nicer than it looked in the pic.

I dont see a crack in the 20 1/2 is it really fine?? Does it go all the way through or does it open up when the sole is flexed?

If its cracked I would just put it on ebay exactly how it is I am sure even with the damage you will make at least your money back you have invested in the whole lot maybe a bit more.

-Clint

Jack Norfleet
03-08-2008, 11:24 PM
The crack goes through and opens just a little when flexed. That is why I missed it. Even with the crack, it seems solid when I flex it.

The #6 did turn out better than I expected. There is a little pitting near the toe but it cuts just fine. I have it set for a fairly aggressive cut with a mildly cambered blade.

If you happen to run across a fence or depth stop or both for a 78, keep me in mind.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2008, 3:15 AM
If you happen to run across a fence or depth stop or both for a 78, keep me in mind.

There is a stop listed on the auction site that shall not be named. It closes in 18 hours at this writing. There is a bunch of parts listed closing in 5 days.

This was just searching for "stanley 78" cast a wider net with "stanley parts" and you may find more.

If Stanley sells replacements, find out how much and keep your bid lower.

Good luck,

jim

Clint Jones
03-09-2008, 3:26 AM
Jack if I have the fence and rod you can have them for free I'll look tommorrow.

harry strasil
03-09-2008, 8:55 AM
JB Weld, LOL, there is no weld to it. I used to see lots of JB junk in the Blacksmith shop, people will put it on almost anything. Well it is good for filling holes etc for looks. But would you put a bandaid on a broken arm to hold it in place.

Just my 2¢

Jack Norfleet
03-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I will probably just clean up the 20 1/2 and use it until it breaks completely. I can see a few projects coming up where it might be useful.

Does anyone know if having the piece brazed would be strong enough?

Ray Sheley
03-09-2008, 10:48 AM
The main objection to brazing seems to be that it ruins the piece for collector value, and that the pieces repaired aren't usually "square" when done. If carefully done by someone who knows what they are doing, and for a user in this application would be something that I would consider. Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in with solid answers.

harry strasil
03-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Brazing is the method of choice for blacksmiths, but cast welding with cast iron rod and an oxy/acet torch gives a good color match and is actually the strongest but as it requires a hotter flame and melting of the parent metal there is more of a chance of warping.