PDA

View Full Version : Wood gloat

Dennis Ford
03-08-2008, 10:57 PM
This is some of the Osage Orange I picked up today (friend of a friend type thing). I got 14 pieces with diameter ranging from 13" to 24", it had already been cut to firewood length.

Tim A. Mitchell
03-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Gratz. Looks like it is staring to check. Better cut it up, or seal it soon.

Feel free to drop some off in my driveway;):D

Scott Hubl
03-08-2008, 11:07 PM
SWEET! Congrats.
I have a few waxed pieces @3x3x12" I havent tried turning it yet but hear it's good stuff for turning.

I don't think we have any local sources of Osage Orange here in Chicago, just the small turning blank sizes at Rockler and Woodcraft.

Seal up the ends ASAP

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Congrats. Great wood haul.

Nathan Hawkes
03-09-2008, 1:14 AM
Looks like that wood has some serious shake in the middle; It doesn't really look like checking to me. I cut down a couple big mulberries for a friend this summer, which had a lot of the same kind of cracks radiating out from the middle right off the stump.

NICE GLOAT, BTW. If osage is anything like mulberry (it looks virtually identical!) its a BI()*#R to turn as it gets dry. I'm a new turner, but I can say from my limited experience,get it sealed quick, or rough it out!

Mark Paulley
03-09-2008, 8:42 AM
Hello all,
Osage was given the name Iron Wood becasue once it dries, it is harder then hell to cut, nail and such. It is a pretty yellow with a white sap when first turned green but eventually it does turn a a carmel brown. Good luck!
Mark

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Congrats on all the wood Dennis! Looks like you have some work ahead of you either sealing or roughing out! Have fun - looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!