PDA

View Full Version : Wood sources NE of Atlanta GA

Roger Warford
03-08-2008, 10:47 PM
For those of you round these parts (Atlanta), where do you get your wood? Rough cut would be great. I've been to Georgia Hardwood, but was wondering if there are any other options.

Thomas Walker
03-09-2008, 12:29 AM
I haven't been there but, http://www.suwaneelumber.com/

John Thompson
03-09-2008, 1:16 AM
I've been using Suwanee Lumber since 1978, Roger. Great folks and the prices are excellent. Atlanta Hardwood in Kennesaw is another good option. A bit higher and takes a while to get in and out.. but have a few exotics Suwannee doesn't carrry. Just a few as Suwanee had about all you can handle unless you really do some hard to find exotics.

If Georgia Hardwood is the one up in Buford (I'm in Lawrenceville).. they don't have a good selection available and are way too high when I checked them out several years ago. Just my opionion of course.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Roger Warford
03-09-2008, 8:45 AM
Thanks guys. I'll checkout Suwanee Lumber. Don't make it over Kennesaw way very often, but I'll keep that in mind.

John, you are right, Georgia Hardwood is up in Buford and doesn't have a great selection. Their primary business seems to be custom cabinets and doors.

Ed Ditto
03-09-2008, 9:41 AM
Might be a little far for you to drive, but Chattanooga Hardwood Supply is awesome. 423.624.0000, at 2420 East Main Street. No affiliation--just a happy customer. It's a family-owned business with low prices, good selection, kind tape measures, and an awesome scrap pile.

Ed

Steve Mellott
03-09-2008, 12:03 PM
There are several sawmills in the Gainesville area. If you Google "sawmill gainesville" it may give you the address or directions. If not, let me know.

Steve

John Thompson
03-09-2008, 12:13 PM
BTW Roger... Suwanee has a rack you can pick through all day if you choose up in the front building.. It's mostly S-3 and S-4 up there. Just pile up what you want and when you're done.. one of the guys will write it up. The little Hispanic guy will add a custom foot-print on your stock at no charge if you request it. :D

You go up front and pay, then back in the door to load. And also.. most of the rough is down the hill with the big saws and planers where it comes in. Ask if you don't see what you need in thickness or rough. Probably have it down there and if so.. will give permission for you to go down and look.

PS.. Steve Thanks for the tip on the mills up in Gainesville. I was not aware of that and grew up in Lawrenceville. I do have a friend up in Elijay that has his own small mill, but he doesn't sell to the public.

Sarge..

Matt Campbell
03-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Ed,

I get the family-owned part, but the low prices and good selection I don't. When I went, I didn't get low prices and didn't get to select anything. I haven't been back since.

Joe Petersen
03-09-2008, 9:01 PM
Never been there, but Peachstate Lumber (http://www.peachstatelumber.com/contactus.htm) in Kennesaw is supposed to be good. My buddy buys all his lumber there.

Jay Hart
03-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Atlanta Wood Products in Mapleton has a very good selection but they are a little more pricey than Suwanee.
http://www.hardwoodweb.com/distribution/awpc.cfm

If you go to Suwanee you have to work a little harder to find just the right stock - it's stacked horizontally and the one you want will be on the bottom, but I still go there regularly

Roger Warford
03-11-2008, 8:17 AM
Thanks again for all the suggestions!

The little Hispanic guy will add a custom foot-print on your stock at no charge

John, is there something more that I should know here?:confused:

John Thompson
03-11-2008, 9:34 AM
Thanks again for all the suggestions!

John, is there something more that I should know here?:confused:

Not other than I have a large sense of humor and if you show up around lunch.. someone might offer you part of their balogna sand-wich if they don't finish it all. :D

Recently Roger, I was up there to get a piece of 1/4" poplar ply for drawer bottoms I was making. The ply is stacked flat on top of each other and someone had walked across the top leaving the top piece with a distinct dust foot-print from their shoe or boot.

The little Hispanic guy that works with all the other regular hands that have been around for years looked at it.. looked at me and with a big grin said.. "no extra charge for the foot-print and I can customize the other sheets if you would lilke".. He is somewhat of a jovial character to say the least as all the folks I have en-countered there for years are tops.

Regards...

Sarge..

Erech Myers
03-11-2008, 9:58 AM
For those of you round these parts (Atlanta), where do you get your wood? Rough cut would be great. I've been to Georgia Hardwood, but was wondering if there are any other options.

I'm curious to see the responses to this thread too. I'm in the northern suburbs of Atlanta and I've just started looking for good wood resources too.

I've been to two places so far. One is Atlanta Hardwood which is just west of I75 at the I285 & S. Cobb Dr exit. The other is Peach State Lumber which is up I75 off the Wade Green Rd Exit.

The Atlanta Hardwood also has a location called North Georgia Hardwood in Cleveland, GA, but I have not been to that location yet.

http://www.hardwoodweb.com/lumber/ahc.cfm
http://www.peachstatelumber.com/contactus.htm
http://www.hardwoodweb.com/lumber/nghc.cfm

Erech Myers
03-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Might be a little far for you to drive, but Chattanooga Hardwood Supply is awesome. 423.624.0000, at 2420 East Main Street. No affiliation--just a happy customer. It's a family-owned business with low prices, good selection, kind tape measures, and an awesome scrap pile.

Ed

I'll have to check them out. I live in Atlanta, but I have in-laws in near Chattanooga. Thanks!

Jack Morrow
03-11-2008, 10:10 AM
I've been using Suwanee Lumber since 1978, Roger. Great folks and the prices are excellent. Atlanta Hardwood in Kennesaw is another good option. A bit higher and takes a while to get in and out.. but have a few exotics Suwannee doesn't carrry. Just a few as Suwanee had about all you can handle unless you really do some hard to find exotics.

If Georgia Hardwood is the one up in Buford (I'm in Lawrenceville).. they don't have a good selection available and are way too high when I checked them out several years ago. Just my opionion of course.

Good luck...

Sarge..

+1

Great place, and they're open on Sat. morning, unlike most lumberyards.

Tom Conger
03-11-2008, 1:01 PM
I always go to Atlanta Hardwood. Have not checked out any other locations. They have a big selection of veneers and plywood too. Probably a bit expensive, but they are somewhat close to where I live. (Buckhead)

Matt Campbell
03-11-2008, 4:03 PM
Can I plug myself here? :confused: I live in Chattanooga, and I mainly have exotics.

Erech Myers
03-11-2008, 4:51 PM
Can I plug myself here? :confused: I live in Chattanooga, and I mainly have exotics.

Do you have a retail store, a mill, or you just do it as a side business out of your home?

Do you have any sample prices of what you have?

Where exactly in Chattanooga? I come up there about once every other month to visit the in-laws.

Lee Koepke
03-11-2008, 5:24 PM
Do you have a retail store, a mill, or you just do it as a side business out of your home?

Do you have any sample prices of what you have?

Where exactly in Chattanooga? I come up there about once every other month to visit the in-laws.
and i am heading up there this weekend .... now if the wife would only understand shopping for wood ???:cool:

Matt Campbell
03-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I have a forum down below in the Manufacturer's Forum. Mine is NoogaWood. Check it out for prices, species, and my current discounts. I do have a warehouse located at:

4723 Adams Rd.
Hixson, TN 37343

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Roger Warford
03-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks Matt! I make it up to Chattanooga periodically as well. Nice city! Is it possible to make pickups at the warehouse? Perhaps I'll get lucky and get a chance to drop by soon.

Matt Campbell
03-12-2008, 7:04 AM
Yeah, I'm actually moving out of the warehouse some time this week. Once I have a new location, I'll update that in my forum down below. Hope to meet you guys soon.

Erech Myers
03-12-2008, 9:30 AM
Yeah, I'm actually moving out of the warehouse some time this week. Once I have a new location, I'll update that in my forum down below. Hope to meet you guys soon.

Thanks Matt! I didn't know about your Forum.

I believe my brother-in-law works in Hixson, but I'll find out for sure. I wish I could help you out by taking some of that stock off your hands before you move, but my next trip to Chattanooga is going to be either March 22 (Easter weekend) or the following weekend. Good luck with the move!

Bartee Lamar
03-12-2008, 10:05 AM
A very interesting wood source in the middle of Atlanta is Carlton-McLendon (http://www.rarewoodsandveneers.com/).

You should call 1st. Prices might be high. Does a lot of high end veeners.

Lots of very exotic stuff. A fun visit. Make sure you go down in the basement.

John Thompson
03-12-2008, 10:21 AM
I have a forum down below in the Manufacturer's Forum. Mine is NoogaWood. Check it out for prices, species, and my current discounts. I do have a warehouse located at:

4723 Adams Rd.
Hixson, TN 37343

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Matt.. I will keep an eye out for your new location. I haven't been to Chattanooga since I was a straight leg infantry-man in the "civil war" back in 1864. :)

I can't think of a better reason to make a trip as we have an aquarium here in Atlanta now. I understand things have changed radically in the last 25 years... but that can be said with about everywhere as the world turns.

Regards...

Sarge..

Roger Warford
03-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Wow, thanks Bartee. They have an impressive website. It would be a worth a trip into town just to seem some of that. :D