PDA

View Full Version : Table project

Dennis Ford
03-08-2008, 10:35 PM
I built this table for some friends. It is red oak, I know a lot of people do not like red oak but that is what I have plenty of. The table is 42" X 98" and is pretty heavy, they won't be moving it much! :o

Nancy Laird
03-08-2008, 10:37 PM
It's beautiful, Dennis. Is that your own design? I happen to love red oak - my house is full of it.

Nancy

Dennis Ford
03-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks, yes it is my design although it is not that much different from a lot of trestle tables.

J. Z. Guest
03-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I love Red Oak too. It is awfully convenient around here. There is Red Oak plywood, Red Oak edge banding, and Red Oak plugs all available. Not to mention that it is hard, has nice grain, and is durable.

I'm a big fan of tusk tenon joinery too. Very pure.

Ray Turney
03-08-2008, 11:28 PM
I hope they don't cover that with a tablecloth!! VERY nice job.

Dave Verstraete
03-09-2008, 9:53 AM
I love the grain on the top. Great Job!

John Keeton
03-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Dennis

Don't know how big your family is, but I built an oak trestle table some years ago when we had fewer grandchildren. Recently, due to a substantial increase in the size of the "tribe", I made a new top with sliding leave rails. The top is 42" x 9 feet, made from oak veneer plywood, with two leaves that drop in at either end. I used red and white oak and had difficulty with getting the tone of the color to blend. I wouldn't recommend that, and wouldn't do it again, but you use what you got!!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but just something for you to put in the back of your mind on down the road. I did not do the chairs - not to that level yet!!

John

Thomas Canfield
03-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Dennis,

The table looks great. Talking with you at the East Texas Woodturners meetings I only thought you did the round things, and mostly big at that. Looks like you need to do some more flat work along with the round. The red oak does finish well.

Jeff Wittrock
03-09-2008, 11:04 AM
That is a fine looking table. I really like the figure in the top.
I love red oak, and every now an then I come across a piece with real nice figure which I save for a "special" project. It looks like you found some real nice wood for the top.

-Jeff

Ryan Cianfarani
03-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm not always the biggest red oak fan... that's what i've had to do most of my work in, though. But wow, I LOVE the grain on that tabletop. The table is gorgeous! Nicely done.

Joe Chritz
03-09-2008, 1:27 PM
I am a fan and I prefer to work it over many other woods.

I would add on the Red oak discussion that since I built my library out of 1/4sawn red oak I am a bigger fan than before.

Nice table. I like the design a lot.

Did you fill the grain on the top? I would be curious if you did and how, I have some small game tables planned in oak and I will be using something to fill the tops.

Joe

gary Zimmel
03-09-2008, 2:42 PM
Denis

Fantastic looking table! Great job.

Not the biggest fan of red oak, but I really like the way this red oak table looks. I too like the design.

glenn bradley
03-09-2008, 3:31 PM
That is a really interesting piece. The figure on the top really catches the eye and is unusual for the red oak I see out in California. Of course, out here red oak is as evident as asphalt and I don't mean that negatively. Folks out here just really like it.

As to heavy, having made some red oak pieces that are less than half the size of that table . . . wow, heavy. Thanks for sharing a beautiful piece.

Lori Kleinberg
03-09-2008, 5:58 PM
Beautiful table. Great design and wonderful finish. I too am a big fan of red oak.