PDA

View Full Version : What machine to replace Inca 570?

Ron Dunn
03-08-2008, 7:57 PM
The Inca 570 thickness planer seems to have no replacement.

Is there another device out there which offers:

* Portability (one person can lift it with ease)
* Capacity (10" planer and thicknesser)
* Finish (two feed speeds, three cutter heads)

Given that these machines are no longer manufactured, I'm worried about what might happen if something major went wrong. I've been thinking about selling the Inca and replacing it with a current device from a long-lived manufacturer, but I just can't find something which competes.

Suggestions?

Jim Barstow
03-08-2008, 8:40 PM
I'm in the same boat. The drive belt in my inca j/p broke a year and a half ago and I bought 2 replacements from garrett wade. They don't sell inca parts anymore. My drive cylinder is really worn and needs replacement also and I'm not sure what to do.

We're about to move into a new house with a brand new shop and I'm trying to decide between a felder 531 jointer/planer combo and separtes from the grizzly extreme series. Everything I've heard convinces me that the high end grizzly equipment is pretty good.

Bruce Pennell
03-08-2008, 8:57 PM
Was looking at Inca equipment last month and someone mentioned Eagle Tools (http://www.eagle-tools.com/) in Calf. as the only parts supplier. Hope this helps Bruce:D

Chris Zenda
03-08-2008, 9:07 PM
I ended up replacing mine with a Knapp TK 410 profi combination machine.

Ron Dunn
03-08-2008, 9:32 PM
The biggest problem for me is portability. I have a really small workshop space (I think most of you would be astonished, when I see what you describe as "small"), and I move house every few years. I need something light enough to be picked up and carried by one person, that puts a limit of (say) 40kg.

A lunchbox thickness planer would probably suffice, but I just can't find a truly portable jointer that compares with the Inca. It really is a remarkable machine.

Jim Becker
03-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Ron, the only place I've really seen "comparable" stuff is in Europe, but there are some out there. Therein lies the rub...the transportation cost to your neck of the woods and I don't recall if there would be any power issues running Euro gear in AU.

Richard McComas
03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
I believe Ricon tool makes a 10" J/P that looks like a clone of the Inca 570. I have seen picture on the net but can't seem to find one now.

Contact WoodCraft, I believe they can help you.

Glenwood Morris
03-09-2008, 3:42 AM
incamachines.com

E-mail them, tell them what part you need, they will tell you how much it will cost plus shipping.

They only sell replacement parts for wear items, they wont sell me extension tables for my 2100, because that is an accessory.

Inca is still going, just in France now, and they aren't exporting to the US.

If your 570 has a tersa head, I will gladly take it off of your hands. I've been considering getting a shelix head made for my 550 non-tersa 2-blade machine.

Kevin Adams
03-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi Ron--

I actually went through the same thing a few years ago when I was worried about getting replacement parts for my 570. I ended up selling it (to a luthier) and went without for a few years (using hand tools). The simple fact is that there is currently not a replacement for the 570. Yes, Felder, Hammer, Minimax, etc. all make excellent units, but they are not portable enough for a small shop. There's also no guarantee they will be in business in 5 years either (not meant as a criticism, just a reality of the business world today). At the end of the day, I was sorry I sold my 570, so last year I got in touch with Jesse at Eagle and bought a 510 (which was a predecessor of the 570). It was in great shape and should last me many years (the 510 arguably has the best drive system of any of the Inca J/P's--about as bullet-proof as you can get).

My advice, presuming you are still happy with your 570, is to keep it. There are tons of them in operation around the country and Jesse is your man if you need any parts, service, etc.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kevin

Jim Becker
03-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Folks, please note that the OP is in Australia, not North America.

Ron Dunn
03-09-2008, 5:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I know about Eagle Tools, they've got a good reputation around the world. As for Incamachines, I can't figure out whether they are willing to supply parts outside Europe ... I've seen posts stating both yes and no.

Kevin, what is the difference in the 510 drive train? I've seen it mentioned as better/simpler, but I haven't seen one. I think the weak point in the 570 is the drive train gearing, particularly the design of the axle and the plastic gear ... was that also present on the 510?

Ron.

Wilbur Pan
03-09-2008, 9:03 PM
I don't know if this is feasible, but there are several brands in the U.K. and the EU that make 10" (260mm) thicknesser/planer combos. Rikon was the only company that sold one in the U.S., but they pulled that machine from the market. Luckily I managed to get one before they did. Metabo, Dewalt, Scheppach, Fox, and Axminster all make models in this size. It's nearly impossible to get machinery deleivered from the U.K. to the U.S., but maybe it's easier to get one delivered to Australia, or your local woodworking machinery stores may be able to order one more readily.

Glenwood Morris
03-09-2008, 10:12 PM
As for Incamachines, I can't figure out whether they are willing to supply parts outside Europe ... I've seen posts stating both yes and no.

Why not e-mail them? Their response is usually within 24 hours and they have certainly told me they are willing to ship to the US.

Rather than use message board conjecture, just drop them a line

Pete Lamberty
03-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi Ron, Follow this link to the yahoo Inca group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/incawoodworking/ Maybe you will be able to find replacement parts or whatever you need. I have the Inca jointer/planer myself and I have never seen any small machine compare to this brand. It is the best for a small shop. Pete

Ron Dunn
03-12-2008, 5:25 PM
I don't have a problem with the machine right now ... it has had a gentle life, was in storage for too long, but after a clean-up works as well as it did the day it was bought ... it is the future which worries me.

If something breaks two years from now, and that part is unobtainable, I basically have a pile of junk on my hands. My thinking was that, if I could find a decent alternative, I'd sell the machine now while there is a thriving second-hand market and replace it with a machine with a longer life expectancy.

But as you can see from this thread, there just isn't an equivalent machine out there.