PDA

View Full Version : I am lookin for Ebony

William Bachtel
03-08-2008, 7:03 PM
I am lookin for a piece of Ebony to turn into a bowl, minimum 2 inches thick, diameter 8 inches or bigger. I wood prefer bigger. Thanks

Joe Chritz
03-08-2008, 7:19 PM
Johnson's workbench usually has Ebony. Haven't been there in a long time but they always did in the past. One store in Charlotte and one in Grand Rapids.

Be sitting down when you get the price.

They list Gaboon Ebony, black in 2" thick. 80.63 a BF :eek:

Joe

Bob Hallowell
03-08-2008, 7:40 PM
try www.westpennhardwoods.com (http://www.westpennhardwoods.com) if they don't list it on line call them they have all different types of ebony. Just so you know depending on the type of ebony you want it is going to cost you. I think it runs from about $30-$70 a Bf.

Bob

Mike Henderson
03-08-2008, 8:06 PM
My local supplier carries ebony and if I remember correctly, it was about $80+/bf.

I'd go crazy trurning a bowl of that stuff. Seeing those chips fall to the floor, I'd be seeing dollar bills falling.

I only use ebony for decorative inlay.

Mike

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2008, 9:58 PM
The last ebony I looked at for a bowl was $85/bf. Like Mike I just could force myself to core a bowl out and watch the dollar bills hit the floor in the form of chips. I just use it for finials or pedestals for vases.

Steve Mawson
03-08-2008, 11:37 PM
The last Ebony I got the dealer told me to let it rest after I did a little work with it. I have had a little trouble with it cracking in the past. Interested in other comments on how easy it is to work. I agree with the other folks, it is ESPENSIVE.

Steve knight
03-08-2008, 11:43 PM
The last Ebony I got the dealer told me to let it rest after I did a little work with it. I have had a little trouble with it cracking in the past. Interested in other comments on how easy it is to work. I agree with the other folks, it is ESPENSIVE.
thats because it is not dry. most ebony I see tends to be 5 to 10% too wet. in the thickness you want it can take a long time to dry fully.

Barry Richardson
03-08-2008, 11:48 PM
How bout some desert ironwood, I got plenty...

Scott Hubl
03-09-2008, 12:10 AM
I'd take some off your hands Barry.:D

Harvey Mushman
03-09-2008, 8:58 AM
try www.westpennhardwoods.com (http://www.westpennhardwoods.com) if they don't list it on line call them they have all different types of ebony. Just so you know depending on the type of ebony you want it is going to cost you. I think it runs from about $30-$70 a Bf.

Bob

Be prepared to wait if you do an internet or phone order, though. It has been my experience that West Penn doesn't tell you up front that it usually takes about a week to actually ship your order. They will get it out the same day or next for a fee. West Penn is too busy supplying Rockler.

As for the Ebony bowl, why not turn it out of Walnut and ebonize it with dye, unless there is a specific reason to use Ebony. I'm with Bernie and Mike on this. I hate to see expensive exotics turned into shavings. $$$$KACHING$$$$!!!!!

Doug Shepard
03-09-2008, 9:22 AM
I've seen some listed in the past here
http://www.gilmerwood.com/instrument_wood-maples.htm

Michael Gibbons
03-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Could you use something else with a similar grain structure then dye it black? It would save a few bucks.

William Bachtel
03-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the information. Now I have to sell a few bowls to finance this.

robert hainstock
03-10-2008, 2:31 PM
I have had two 2"x2"x12" sticks of ebony that I bought in the 1980s. Two years ago I cut oin\\ne up and made four pens out of it. To date, five of the blanks have split. I believe it was dry. I believe it was stable, but it still split. Anybody wants to use it, go ahead. I'm done with it. :eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Keith Burns
03-10-2008, 2:53 PM
Try this link http://www.exoticwood.biz/ebony.htm. They have bowl blanks 2" x 4-5/8" sq. for $50. I have used them in the past and they are a good supplier.

Steve Mawson
03-10-2008, 9:31 PM
thats because it is not dry. most ebony I see tends to be 5 to 10% too wet. in the thickness you want it can take a long time to dry fully.

Thanks-good to know.

Bill Wyko
03-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Woodworkers Source in Tucson has it on sale right now for around 69.00 bucks a board ft. That's the cheapest I'v ever seen it. It's jet black too.

Bruce McElhaney
03-11-2008, 11:25 AM
As Joe stated Johnson's has ebony. I was in their Grand Rapids store last week and saw a good supply of Ebony as wide as 4 to 6 inches in 1 inch thickness.

I often use Wenge as an Ebony sub. It finishes very dark, almost black. It's grain is a somewhat open but can easily be filled. Holly takes on black dye easily and might be a good subsitute as well. Although Wenge or Holly are not exactly cheap, they're certainly a lot less expensive than Black Ebony.

Bill Wyko
03-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Woodworkers has a few 8/4 pieces left. Only about 2 feet long.